Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Most judges don’t want to speculate on future stuff, i.e., interpret today’s law for future unknown plaintiffs – a hypo in law school lingo. Unless there are conflicting cases in other jurisdictions, courts generally only address the claims of the existing plaintiffs, which now appear to be moot.

Just a vent, really.

If you insist on not getting vaccinated, then go to the hospital when Covid gets bad, do NOT get mean to those working there because they won’t use non-medically approved or supported “treatments” on you or your loved one. If you insist that there are better ways to treat Covid, stay home and use whatever you want. Medical personnel like my son and other doctors, nurses, etc, shouldn’t have to bear the brunt of your behavior. You, or your loved one, is the one who decided not to get vaccinated and no miracle is out there that saves everyone. The news has been reporting all along that real people die from Covid.

Dealing with death is bad enough. Dealing with people acting like angry idiots crosses the bar. I’m sorry your loved one didn’t make it, but don’t take it out on those trying their best to help.

Take care buddy. You did what you could. It was their decision. Your ICU rotation will be over soon. Really glad to hear Covid cases have dropped dramatically at least.

14 Likes

(Don’t go to the vet either. Go to your favorite podcaster who has filled your head with nonsense and ask them to treat you.)

6 Likes

Medical personnel deal with the brunt of bad behavior and bad decisions every single day. They shouldn’t go into medicine if they only want to treat “good decisions” or “good behavior”.

10 Likes

Do you have the same opinion when he deals with the obese, the smoker, or the alcoholic?

7 Likes

My child in college got drunk and made a bad decision. My child ended up in surgery the next day. So thankful our surgeon was willing to deal with the brunt of his bad behavior.

11 Likes

I hope this will make you feel better

https://twitter.com/wsebag/status/1490611295367794695

2 Likes

So…no narcan for overdoses…right? Let drunk drivers die…oh…and heart attacks in the obese…meh…suck it up butter cup. Given that well over 50% of our first responder/police and mental health resources are dedicated to dealing with a population that CHOOSES their lifestyle…I say…meh…let it be…none of those responders should have to deal with the negative effects of that populations personal decisions.

3 Likes

I think you’re missing the point of the vent. It wasn’t protesting the behavior before going to the ER/hospital. It was the hateful behavior toward the staff once they were in the Hospital. Big difference. Staff should not be abused while trying to help someone

25 Likes

Medical personnel need to realize that people are going to react differently to the loss of a loved one and sometimes the anger will come out in ways not intended. I work in a medical field and I’ve had angry patients and angry loved ones lash out at me also. I understand that they are hurt and angry and I don’t take it personally. It’s just part of my job.

Isn’t there a thread just for venting, no discussion. Maybe the post should have been put in that thread.

1 Like

A number of years ago DS broke his arm…compound fracture…ER had several …um…under the influence …individuals…yelling, screaming and threatening staff… so …basically we are saying staff shouldn’t have to deal with the abuse heaped by those folks (and I agree with that sentiment). BTW…DS ER doc said to him - those people made choices where medications no longer work on them…don’t worry…the meds I give you will help with pain…just keep making the right choices…

2 Likes

True. My guy has already been knocked out by a patient (not Covid related). Believe it or not, I vented about that one when he told me the story too. I never condone bad behavior, esp when it’s done to those who are trying to help someone.

The guy who knocked him out was on drugs, so yes? But I don’t recall a single story he’s told me of obese folks or smokers harassing him (and others) for not using “woo woo” medicine to try to save their lives, so no?

Wow, I’d sure get after any of my guys if they harassed a surgeon trying to help them, even if they were drunk at the time. Your parenting style may differ I suppose.

You seem to think the hospital wasn’t doing their best to save the guy who died just because they wouldn’t use non medically supported treatments and chose to use those with the most odds to work? I guess that segment of society is out there (sigh).

It’s part of his job too, and not the first (or second, or third) time he’s encountered it. That doesn’t make it right - ever. And it’s ok if he wants to share such things with me. A listening ear can be helpful.

It’s amazing how many of y’all are supporting people who make medical personnel endure such crap. I guess that’s why it happens as often as it does. They’re only doctors/nurses/aides, after all. Who cares?

My statement still stands. If you’re going to make decisions that put you into the hospital, don’t get angry and lash out at those who choose to treat you with the best medically supported treatments. If you feel a non-medically supported treatment would work better, stay home and use that. And with respect to those “best odds” medically supported treatments - they don’t always work. With Covid, that’s been mentioned over and over and over again. Real people die, even if they think they wouldn’t. It’s still not right to take out anger on those who were trying their best to help.

12 Likes

Where did I say my son harassed a surgeon? My son got injured while drinking and ended up in surgery. His bad decision is what got him injured and he harassed no one. And no I did not get “after my guy” about his bad decision. The surgery and what he endured after were enough punishment for him. I realize on this board so many here are so sure their child is so perfect and that they would never drink or do anything stupid. We hear about your “medical lad” daily. I think it’s wonderful what he’s doing and that he is going to be a successful Dr. but he’s going to have to realize that he will be encountering many many people who get injured for stupid reasons, or angry patients and family members. It’s a tough job, I get it. But not everyone is going to be perfect and not everyone is going to be vaccinated and not everyone is going to be nice. I’m not saying it’s right but it’s a reality and your medical lad is going to have to learn how to deal with these situations because it’s reality in medicine.

Also I’m very content with my parenting style!

6 Likes

NO!!! I don’t think medical personal should have to put up with abusive behavior from those who CHOOSE to be in the condition that brings them to the ER. etc. Hence my examples of DUI, other under the influence, abuse of body (obesity…who wants to deal with a 400lb+ body, anorexia (verbal abuse) … you name it). We either accept abusive behavior or we don’t…

1 Like

@Creekland My heart goes out to your son for having to deal with such absolute nonsense while trying his best to save lives. Sure it is part of the job, but that doesn’t excuse such reckless actions and abusive behavior. And it is surely well within your prerogative to be frustrated and need to vent when you see your son (or anyone) having to try to save people while being treated this way.

It is hard enough to to deal with the comments and actions of belligerent and careless jerks outside the medical setting, but I can’t imagine facing such abuse while simultaneously trying to save their lives and the lives of their loved ones.

[eta: accidentally responded to the wrong post.]

2 Likes

I expect it is pretty common. Attempted suicides, drug overdoses, mentally ill homeless alcoholics-a lot of people may not be too happy with medical intervention in a hospital.

1 Like

Given enormous number of covid hospitalizations and deaths, and given the strong correlation between refusal to take simple medical precautions and ending up sick or dead, my guess it is a bit more common for those with covid to become angry and belligerent about medical treatment. Maybe the frequency of their bad behavior is on par some segment of severely mentally ill patients, but that isn’t much of a justification, is it?

And even if not more common, rants about belligerent behavior of non-covid patients are also justified, and as @Creekland pointed out she’s ranted about such non-covid issues before.

2 Likes

Who would have guessed?

6 Likes

This discussion is just strange to me. I’m sure being abused by people under the influence and mentally ill is common; however I suspect it is easier to take when someone is not in their right mind vs a person who is supposed to be of a sound mind. If my 82 y.o. MIL with Alzheimer’s says something hateful to me/H, it’s upsetting but understandable. It would have been different if she said those things 20 years ago. Or are you saying that such covid patients and their families are mentally on the same level as someone on drugs or mentally ill?

And berating a parent who is upset and venting about her child being abused at work just also seems wrong to me.

13 Likes

Where did @Creekland say her son had issues with patients who came to the hospital for whatever reason? Her point was about patients who behaved badly after they arrived at the hospital - like punching his son or harassing doctor for not giving them the medication they want. It is not par of doctor/nurse’s job to deal with bad behavior, no more than bus drivers, cashiers or anyone in customer services.

15 Likes