Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I had that for a month. It did eventually go away. I also lost a bit of smell and it’s back now.

3 Likes

When he rebounded was it just more of the same symptoms, worse symptoms, or just that he tested positive again after a negative result?

ETA: oops, I see that you did address that. Glad you’re feeling better.

The rebound version of Covid was slightly worse, but he wasn’t taken Paxlovid for round two. We were in Vermont at the time, and didn’t do any of the hiking we normally would have done, because he just got too out of breath. This is a guy who gets exercise three to four times a week.

1 Like

I could have written this. I had one week where I barely got out of bed, I was so tired. I had the worst sore throat I can remember. So COVID was much worse than a cold for me.

I still have about one coughing fit a day and in between i feel like I need to cough something up, or my throat gets a little tickle. I carry cough drops everywhere.

I kind of lost my appetite while I was sick, and how, while I do get hungry, food is not as appealing as it used to be. I hope that goes away soon!

THIS.

COVID seems particularly unique in its unpredictable range of severity from asymptomatic to lethal, even within immediate family members. I’m hoping that I am at the mild end of that spectrum when it finds me but I’m not expecting it.

I am concerned that the CDC seems to be throwing in the towel as far as, at a minimum, encouraging people to test, isolate and mask in situations where people are in close quarters, be it public transportation, airplanes, concerts, movie theaters, the cubicle “bullpens” in offices and so forth.

I can’t put my finger on the article right now, but it was a doctor discussing mitigation measures and she was musing on how, as a society, we have been very blasé about the flu and protecting vulnerable people, as it does kill tens of thousands of people each year. I wonder if the US had adopted general masking year ago, similar to many Asian countries, if we would have seen the initial and continued reluctance to incorporate it into certain aspects of daily life.

2 Likes

Day 13 since first symptoms.
Day 12 since first positive test
STILL testing positive.
Last symptom - 9 days ago - when my fever broke.

Going to call it a day. Time to return to life. And stop testing.

Oh…smell is returning. Walked into the house today after an (outside) yoga class and wondered why I was aware of coffee nearby. Turns out H had brought back a Peet’s and it was sitting nearby.

Using both smell training and an herbal potion known to create new neural pathways. Wanted to try that stuff for decades and somehow Karma set up life so that all was on hand, from a very trusted source, when this happened.

2 Likes

No doubt covid posed a threat to many adults when it first arrived in the US. Whether the current variant continues to pose much threat for vaxxed/boosted adults under 75 without otherwise severe health conditions seems quite debatable.

3 Likes

491 people died from Covid every day during the past two weeks. This is up from around 300 a month ago. No trifling number. Sure, many of them may be old and/or with pre-existing conditions, but not all.

For sure it’s not nearly as bad as it was from March to December of 2020. But it’s still no joke.

3 Likes

I think the main reason for the blase attitude is that flu usually only kills the very old or the very young. You really don’t see mostly healthy people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s dying from influenza.

We have, on the other hand, seen that with Covid. Sure, sometimes it’s so obvious-the morbidly obese 50 year old type 2 diabetic, sedentary, asthmatic person who gets Covid unvaccinated and dies. But then there is the fit 30 year old who saw no compelling reason to get vaccines or boosters who gets it and gets really ill, spends two months in the ICU on ECMO and dies. This virus is just different-puzzling-confusing. Some get it and never know it because they have zero symptoms, and someone else with the same apparent profile gets it and suffers the worst possible course and dies after intense suffering. We still don’t understand it all.

7 Likes

But my statement pertained to mostly healthy adult people who were vaxxed/boosted and presumably had access to the treatments currently available. Have you actually seen people in their 30-60s without severe conditions who were vaxxed, and could access the antivirals, actually die at a greater rate than influenza for that cohort? I have read several studies that suggest no.

3 Likes

I have to say I agree with you. Covid-Vaxxed individuals seem to do fine overall. My only point was that unvaxxed people in that cohort don’t really seem to die of influenza, while people in that cohort do actually get seriously ill from Covid if unvaxxed. And it’s not always predictable who will die of Covid, while it’s far more evident who is vulnerable to influenza.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to pick on you, but the lack of specificity as to exactly who is at risk from covid has been, IME, a real weakness in the public health response and has led to some measures which were superfluous.
I absolutely agree with you that vax/boosters are vital protection and am grateful for the antiviral treatments now in use for those in need.

6 Likes

The daily amount of Covid deaths are definitely a sad occurrence. But for the healthy 21 year old who has been fully vaccinated and boosted, we may or may not have a non-zero number of deaths over the last month due to Covid. Should they be required to take the same precautions as a 75 year old with multiple comorbidities? Yes, in places that are obviously protecting the most vulnerable (hospitals and assisted living facilities) and I respect the wishes of any place that has required masking policies (my church during indoor services). But with government agencies lifting mandatory mask mandates, people have a choice in how to protect themselves.

Here is some covid data from March 2022 on the average weekly Covid Death rates per 100,000 people 12 and older: (CDC provided data)

Unvaccinated: 1.71
Vaccinated: 0.22
Boosted: 0.1

Here is some covid data from March 2022 on the average weekly Covid Death rates per 100,000 by age group: (CDC provided data)

Age 18-49
Unvaccinated: 0.13
Vaccinated: 0.02
Boosted: <0.01

Age 50-64
Unvaccinated: 1.21
Vaccinated: 0.15
Boosted: 0.06

Age 65+
Unvaccinated: 9.29
Vaccinated: 1.18
Boosted: 0.55

We know where the deaths are coming from and we know that an outsized number are coming from a large swath of people who have not taken the most protective measure (vaccines) we have to prevent the worst possible outcome. By the way, the most recent flu season’s (2020) death rate (1.8 per 100,000 people), while not an apples to apples comparison (Covid is many times more transmissible and a year-around problem), shows that the vaccines and therapeutic treatments are already saving many people. The CDC data shared on death rates was mostly during a different Omicron variant, not the current variant (Omicron BA.5) but we have seen these trends through multiple waves at this point.

4 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/05/health/covid-reinfection-risk/index.html

There is also the long term health implications of multiple COVID infections (aside from long COVID). This virus is so new, we really have very little understanding of how people’s future health will be impacted and using only current death rates to decide risk seems somewhat short-sighted IMHO.

I agree this has been a significant and lingering problem, exacerbated by fact that the CDC seemed to abandon any meaningful data collection on a variety of factors related to COVID. Very frustrating.

3 Likes

Perhaps the most interesting one mentioned in the above linked page is the study finding that low cortisol was a biomarker that was very strongly associated with long COVID.

3 Likes

Of course not. Mild case is not universal but pretty wide spread. The question is how do we react to it? If for a large majority of people, the experience is pretty benign, the new CDC guidelines are not wrong.

2 Likes

So I guess all the people who suffer greatly from Covid or even die are just making a big deal out of nothing?

1 Like

95% or so of people who get wild-type polio have no or minor symptoms, but that did not prevent people from being concerned that they could be among the few who get a severe case with possibly lifelong disability or death as a result.

5 Likes

You should be concerned of course but should you keep your kids locked up in the house as they did before the vaccine? I wouldn’t. Is that all that different from driving? I take precautions to be safe but I drive without hesitation. Not sure why people get so worked up about this when you are probably taking a greater risk when you drive than any disease except monkey pox since younger generation is not vaccinated against it. I worry about monkey pox.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, why are you so concerned about other people’s choices?

We drive and we take precautions - always wear seatbelts, don’t use cell phones while driving, no DUI, etc.

We also scuba dive, work with horses, and other things that can be considered more dangerous in life. For each, we take precautions.

Covid is out there and we take precautions we feel are helpful based upon circumstances there too. We take some risks and forgo others based upon our personal desires.

What’s wrong with letting others choose for themselves what they’re comfortable with? Some opt not to drive/scuba/horses/Covid chances, etc. It’s their life to live as they see fit.

Monkey Pox is one I’ll admit I don’t worry about at all.

7 Likes