Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Took last dose of paxlovid on 10/25, negative tests in 10/28 and 10/31. Runny nose and cough this morning and now positive again. That darn weddingqwcwndsrrr r rccvc c

The report says that “Completion of the primary vaccine series prior to acute illness was associated with diminished risk for long COVID (OR, 0.72; 95% CI, 0.60-0.86).” (i.e. 28% less likely to get long COVID if vaccinated prior)

1 Like

This article was fascinating. Is Long COVID Actually Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

1 Like

Biden had the same reaction. My doctor prescribed the med for me and I opted not to take it because I was starting to feel better. I tested negative the 7th day.

I think the universe of long Covid is still unknown. After having had very mild asthma for many years and bronchitis maybe every 15 years, since my Covid diagnosis on Mother’s Day this year, I have had bronchitis twice and pneumonia twice. Related? It would appear so but there’s no way to know. Every doctor I’ve seen just nod when I mention it. In between episodes, I feel perfectly fine. But it’s scary.

Same here. I knew a bunch of people who got it in March/April of 2020. Then everyone I knew was super-careful and got vaccinated. A huge number of people got it in December 2021-January 22, and another wave this past summer (which is when my husband and I finally got it.) I only know a handful of people now who haven’t had it.

1 Like

My husband, oldest son, and I haven’t had it as far as I know unless we were completely asymptomatic. My younger two kids got it, though.

As far as I know, me, my husband, daughter, son-in-law, grandkids, sister, brother (though I expect he just might not tell me), some aunts, sister-in-law, and other acquaintances have not gotten it yet. Of course it’s possible we were all asymptomatic and always tested negatively in error, but I do seem to belong to a particularly cautious tribe.

1 Like

Looks like CDC’s Nowcast of 11/5 says that BA.5 + BA.4.6 is now under 50%. BQ.1.1, BQ.1, and BF.7 are the fast growing variants.

If You’ve Had Covid, Watch Out for Stroke Symptoms

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/if-youve-had-covid-watch-out-for-stroke-symptoms/2022/11/03/9fa3317a-5b80-11ed-bc40-b5a130f95ee7_story.html

I can post a gift link if anyone wants.

1 Like

Do you mean possibly heightened risk of stroke as a stealth long COVID effect, as described in the following?

Here is a relevant VA press release and study:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01689-3.pdf

Here’s the gift link
https://wapo.st/3WEWSeu

Seems that it was originally published as an opinion in Bloomberg and reproduced in various other outlets:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-11-03/had-covid-watch-out-for-stroke-symptoms-blood-clots-heart-attacks

Looks like the “recent study published in Heart” is this one:

From the post:

It’s important to note that the participants in the studies—all Veterans—were all enrolled before Jan. 15, 2021, and that more than 99% were not vaccinated.

1 Like

YLE writes that “China backed themselves into a grim corner.” Basically, its zero COVID policy is no longer effective against the newer more contagious variants while resulting in increasing lockdown burden, and the inactivated virus vaccines used there are not that effective against current variants. A massive outbreak there could have major economic implications as well as increase the risk of new variants getting bred, both of which are of concern globally.

4 Likes

Not surprising. Anyone with a bit of common sense knowledge of viruses would know that zero covid policy could never work unless one had a completely locked down island nation, with zero international travel allowed. Forever.

Yet, interestingly, many on cc were not impressed with the early US response, adn seemed to prefer that of zero-covid countries.

btw: as alluded to in teh blog, China does not have a lot of ICU beds per capita. They have less than half of the Uk, for example.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/icu-beds-per-capita-by-country

3 Likes

In the beginning Covid was much more deadly since little was known about it. Now there are effective vaccines and treatments. They aren’t 100%, but have made a world of difference. It made sense to close everything down, mask up, and warp speed vaccines/treatments in the beginning. It doesn’t now. The difference is we know so much more.

8 Likes

Until we had vaccines the zero Covid policy was not necessarily the wrong one. I’m sure New Zealand saved a lot of lives, but it’s just not something you can keep up over the long term in the modern world. Of course in China (and here) Covid had been making the rounds long before we recognized it.

In 2020, COVID-19 was more deadly (no vaccines, less knowledge about treatment), but less contagious than now. So there was more benefit from controlling spread at less cost then compared to now.

The US response did somehow get a bad compromise: a high infection and death rate and a high lockdown burden.

1 Like