Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Just something parents with boys that age should look out for, just like like younger women with the J&J vaccine.

1 Like

One of the misinformation I heard was that you have to pay for the vaccine. Apparently, some people got a surprise bill after getting a free COVID test. Hopefully, the gov get act together in this vaccination month and run a successful vaccine campaign. I think they can turn many hesitant people around. If they do, the rest will be a very small number.

Yes, some “vaccine hesitancy” may be due to actual or perceived barriers (even if the perceived barriers do not actually exist for real) that those wanting the vaccine see in front of them. Example worries as listed in the page linked below:

• Missing work from side effects.
  • Having to pay out-of-pocket costs (many do not realize that it is available at no charge to the recipient).
  • Not being able to get at a trusted place.
  • Difficulty getting to vaccination site.
  • Fear of immigration documentation checks (among those with unauthorized or questionable immigration status).
  • Uncertainly of eligibility.

We have discussed reluctance in health care workers. It appears pharmacist’s ARE NOT reluctant. The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) did a survey. According to the findings, 88% of respondents are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and 92% said they plan to or have already been vaccinated.

5 Likes

Yep, the myocarditis is something we will be watching for as my son gets vaccinated with the Pfizer. It’s not just young boys as an adult male friend of my brother also developed similar heart symptoms within a few days of receiving his vaccine. Was admitted to the hospital for a couple days for observation and tests.

1 Like

Seems like a rather harsh way to determine vaccination status. :wink:

2 Likes

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0aKMLYHk?pd=05Hamihi&lang=en_US&s=i0

There’s just one woman in my circle who won’t get the vaccination. She thinks that pharmaceutical companies are evil cabals. She puts her trust in crystals, salt ions and dream catchers and similar ‘woo-woo’ New Age type things.

I don’t know if this is a typical profile of non-vaxxers or not. I’d be curious to know the percent of vaccinations in places where this type of thinking is common, ie. Sedona, Arizona and other places that appeal to the New Agers.

That page says that “Based on that data [from a recent study], Wallace estimates that about 6 million Americans are taking immunosuppressants that could interfere with the vaccine.” That is close to 2% of the US population who would fall in to the medically vulnerable category who could be protected if they are in a place with herd immunity, but would be at risk of COVID-19 (and with worse effects due to reduced immunity) even after vaccination if there were not herd immunity where they are.

That page also mentions a few anecdotes of people who found that they had no antibodies after getting both doses of a two-dose vaccine, then decided to get vaccinated again with the J&J - Janssen vaccine, with one seeing antibodies afterward and another not seeing antibodies afterward.

But it doesn’t mean all 6 million won’t benefit from the vaccine, just that SOME won’t get immunity that lasts.

Interesting information from Cuomo’s press conference this morning. The areas with least Covid vaccination rates, I would believe are the areas where most of the people had Covid (for example the highly religious areas, aka Spring Valley NY). I am not sure about the other areas, but I would suspect a similar case. My guess is that those who have had Covid are in no rush to get vaccinated yet. (not everyone but many). I know this is the case amongst young people in my area as well, where they had mild cases and feel better about natural immunity.

There was a study in Denmark about how well natural infection induces immunity. They found that natural infection was about 80% protective against subsequent infection for the under-65 age groups, but only 47.1% protective against subsequent infection for the 65-and-over age group.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00575-4/fulltext

A friend and his wife, and I’d guess they are about 60 years old, both had covid. She has a lot of medical conditions so they were very cautious (she quit her job, they stayed home) but got it anyway. Neither required hospitalization.

They were then in a study for how long they had immunity. I think they got covid in early Jan. Both showed immunity for a few months, but I think it was in late March that the husband’s blood showed either no immunity or a very low level, so he got the vaccine shots. Shortly after that she got the vaccine too. They also were concerned about the variants.

My 15 year old nephew was here yesterday. He had covid in Jan. He got the shot as soon as he could, and will get his second on Sat. I don’t think those who have had covid have a reluctance to get vaccinated.

Not all do, but many do. I have a friend that was so happy to have gotten Covid in April, so that it bought them more time to make a decision about the vaccine.

It’s my understanding that the vaccine is not meant to prevent getting Covid, rather to prevent severe reactions and hospitalizations. So if you have the vaccine, you are protected. So your attempt to liken it to a bad driver doesn’t sit quite right with me.

1 Like

The vaccines in the US have been found to greatly reduce the chance of getting any COVID-19, including asymptomatic (although this was not initially known because the trials did not check this). They also happen to be even more effective at reducing the risk of hospitalization or death from COVID-19.

5 Likes

What it does it prepares your body for fighting the infection. That means that, as soon as the viruses invade your body, your body responds. So while it won’t keep viruses from entering your body, it can keep them from invading enough cells to establish a foothold. That is what happens in most cases. In fewer cases, the virus manages to invade a larger number of cells, but the vaccines helps your immune system fight back before the number of infected cells is high enough for a serious case. I would guess that this is the case when a person is exposed to a new, much more infectious variant, or is exposed to massive amount of virus.

In some rare cases, the vaccine fails and a vaccinated person does get seriously sick and even can die. No vaccine is 100% efficient, and there are people whose bodies no not respond to the vaccine by producing antibodies, or they produce antibodies, but these are eliminated.

Basically, just because some viruses entered your body, or landed in your respiratory system, that does not mean that you are “infected” yet. Infection requires the viruses to enter cells, take over the cells, force the cells to mass produce viruses, and to free the viruses. To be sick, this has to start having a negative impact on the body.

Since the vaccine, in most cases, stops the virus before they have reproduced enough to have a negative impact or even start shedding, it is indeed preventing COVID 19, which is the disease.

Moreover, cases of vaccinated people who are contagious but otherwise asymptomatic are, proportionally, far fewer than asymptomatic and contagious unvaccinated individuals.

I also do not understand how the analogy to careless drivers fails. People who refuse both to take the vaccine or to mask while in public are health hazards to people who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons, or have had other difficulties in getting vaccinated. They are careless, irresponsible, selfish, and have no regard for the safety and health of anybody else.

There are many legitimate reasons to avoid getting a vaccine. There are NO legitimate reasons to avoid getting a vaccine, AND refuse to take precautions from infecting others.

1 Like

We really have no idea how many vaxxed people are getting Covid because we’re no longer testing them. MSN

5 Likes

Luckily, we have all of that data from Israel

As of now, there are almost 140,000,000 fully vaccinated people in the USA, and another almost 33,000,000 partially vaccinated people.

How is the CDC supposed to monitor these people? It is not logistically feasible, and likely legally problematic.

3 Likes

Hey, in my state, one can now get a free joint with their Covid shot at some dispensaries! Has to be 21 or older though. :joy:

10 Likes