Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Whatever it takes!

5 Likes

Seems like if you are concerned that vaccinated people would unknowingly get asymptomatic COVID-19 infections that could be dangerous to you, that is more incentive for you to get vaccinated, especially when COVID-19 social distancing and masking are going away.

Of course, if you are like that unlucky person mentioned on the linked web page (who got COVID-19 last year, got vaccinated, and still got COVID-19 again, indicating a weak or non-existent immune response to both natural infection and vaccination), you need to be very careful if you do not want to get COVID-19 again, and hope that enough other people get vaccinated to produce herd immunity where you live.

4 Likes

I think the states that are giving away small prizes to every person are going to attract more new people to be vaccinated than the $1M prizes. WV is giving out hunting and fishing licenses and guns and pick up trucks. People are more likely to want the immediate prize of the $50 free license than the $1 free lotto ticket.

5 Likes

Problem to me with giving stuff out to newly vaccinated people is it incentivizes holdouts. When it comes time for boosters, more people are likely to holdout knowing that at some point goodies will be offered. $1 million lotteries (at least in Ohio) can be won by anyone who has at least one shot. So the first people vaccinated have the same chance as the ones vaccinated in May (at least assuming both enter).

2 Likes

Iā€™m not concerned at all. I was only clarifying something you stated.

1 Like

Our state draws winners from the state vaccination database. So to win 2 free Alaska Air tix or Xbox or any other small piece the record has to be in the database by the drawing date. So not just newly vaccinated get to participate in these drawings.

5 Likes

And doing that way I think makes sense (consistent with what Ohio is doing). Seems to me you get creative. There are different reasons why different people remain on the sidelines so there will be different things that convince them to get a shot. I just donā€™t think it makes sense to create incentives for holdouts. And from the data Ohio released after the first lottery drawing, the program appeared to be working (first dose vaccine rates were up pretty much across the board in terms of age groups). Havenā€™t read summaries of more recent governor press conferences in terms of what has happened since. Third drawing is tomorrow (actually third drawing was yesterday but they will announce tomorrow after verification of eligibility).

1 Like

Colorado is doing the $1M lottery, plus some $50k student scholarship. Some private businesses are doing more. Safeway gives a 10% off coupon (which they do for flu shots too). At the soccer championships the other day, they gave out J&J (so no need to return) and they got tickets to a soccer game and some other smaller (not $50k, not $1M) prizes if one got vaccinated at the event. I think a lot of people at the soccer match were interested in getting free tickets to another soccer match.

2 Likes

I like the way they thinkā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m in Ohio. I wonder if that increase in first dose vaccine rates has continued since the first week or prior to the first drawing. Iā€™ll admit there was a lot of hype prior to the drawings. I donā€™t feel like Iā€™ve seen/heard much about the drawings or signing up or anything the last couple of weeks.

I am in Ohio too. Not sure when DeWine last had a press conference. First week showed a bump up in first shots. Havenā€™t heard since. Maybe an indication that the bump up hasnā€™t been sustained.

State dashboard shows an increase in first doses the week or so after the lottery was announced. Looks like that has leveled off returning to about what it was the week or so before the lottery was announced.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/covid-19-vaccine/covid-19-vaccination-dashboard

LOL, the first thing I did after reading your post was check DeWineā€™s Twitter feed to see when the last press conference was - June 3.

I find myself glad - but surprised - when I see random places offering a vaccine (probably J and J for a one and done?) - like some local food truck areas! And then Iā€™m surprised that some people are choosing to get them in those places. Iā€™m GLAD but surprised when shots (in our area) are plentiful that someone chooses to take the dive while getting their food truck lunch!

2 Likes

Ohio has 200,000 J&J vaccines that expire in a couple weeks. Other states are in similar positions. That vaccine is perfect for the odd of the way places because you donā€™t have to worry about getting the second dose.

2 Likes

There are still J&J vaccine doses left?

Seems like anyone who wants vaccination but has been delaying it may want to choose the J&J vaccine if possible (i.e. available and not medically contraindicated), because it will get them to fully vaccinated status more quickly. With most places dropping social distancing, masking, etc. already or soon, extra weeks of COVID-19 vulnerability would not be a good thing now.

For Ohio:

https://governor.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/governor/media/news-and-media/dewine-issues-urgent-appeal-to-covid19-vaccine-providers-06072021

For certain states (including Ohio):

Lots of them. They gave them out at a clinic at the soccer tournament here on Sunday. They are still the preferred vaccine for rural areas too.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a positive trend: My friend volunteers at the county center vaccine site. Now that they offer walk-ins, the lines are out the door after 4 on weekdays. Glad to know that at least in some places people are still lining up to get vaccinated.

15 Likes

Just received a wedding invitation which included a card ( bride and groom both In med school btw) that said ā€œIf you are not vaccinated we ask you to send good wishes from a distance.ā€

18 Likes

Wife and her brother co-host a family reunion every summer. About 30-40 people show up, mostly over 55 yrs old. But there is now a new generation coming up, as the children of those 55ā€™ers are starting their families. I would guess from social media that just about all of the older attendees have been vaccinated. BUT my wifeā€™s brother who co-hosts the reunion is not vaccinated, neither is his spouse, son, or sonā€™s wife, and son has 4 young kids.

The reunion obviously didnā€™t take place last summer. At some point a decision has to be made
re: this year. Do you ask folks not to bring small (unvaccinated for COVID) children? She is leaning towards pushing for not holding it again, just to avoid a war with her brother and his family. Interestingly, COVID ran rampant through her brotherā€™s family, but none of them think they need to be vaccinated, as getting COVID, in their minds, has granted them immunity for life.

A study in Denmark found that previous infection appears to be about 80.5% effective against subsequent infection for those under 65, but only 47.1% effective against subsequent infection for those over 65.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00575-4/fulltext

If any of them have longer term after-effects, they may be interested in a survey study that found that, for those with ā€œlong COVIDā€ who got vaccinated afterward, 57% found improvement, but 18% got worse.

https://zerocovidalliance.org/longcovidsos-survey-results-the-impact-of-vaccination-on-long-covid-symptoms

3 Likes