Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I truly don’t understand what you’re getting at. Your quote was literally taken from the article I posted. What do you mean half the story? Half what story?

I have no control over what shows up when I copy and paste an article into a comment. I assume most people will read the entire article if they wish.

2 Likes

I just asked our Lt Gov to have the newspapers report the # of hospitalizations due to covid and how many of those are not fully vaccinated. He says he posts it in social media but I suggested it needs to get more widely dispersed, which means the newspaper, radio dnd other news sources.

3 Likes

Stating that there is a problem with the vaccine but then not including the statistics about the kids who have had effects from COVID or died from it.

It would be like linking to an article with the note that globally 289 people died in air fatalities in 2019 without mentioning that the article also states that 1.35 million people died on roadways the same year. Not everyone clicks on links - they rely on the note that is posted with the link.

1 Like

I didn’t state anything. I linked an article. The headline of the article is factual. A child died three days after being vaccinated. The CDC is investigating. Period, the end. It is not my responsibility to post opposing facts. Others can do that if they wish, as you did, but do not tell me I have to. Those facts are well represented in this thread.

5 Likes

Was going to post that I didn’t notice any text on your post and so was wondering what @MaineLonghorn was seeing. Thank you for confirming!

Yes - people should be able to google that sort of information, even if the numbers are way low to begin with.

1 Like

I feel for everyone who has lost someone due to this pandemic, whether from the virus itself or the vax (noting that this death is not definitively associated with the vax as of this typing, but others have been even if not nearly as many as Covid).

It’s a nasty virus and the vaccines, while better for the vast, vast majority, are still the pits for a few. I feel for all who draw the really short straw, the “1” and the “16” and the 600,000+ of all the others, most from Covid, a few from J&J. No one wants to be “that family.” No one.

4 Likes

A word of warning: when you post a link, you don’t have any control of the preview text that appears. If that doesn’t accurately reflect the article, then you can remove the preview by creating a manual link using the hyperlink icon
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 9.44.39 PM
in the toolbar.

For example, here is a link with a preview:
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/first-covid-19-case-could-have-hit-china-oct-2019-study-2021-06-25/

No preview:
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/first-covid-19-case-could-have-hit-china-oct-2019-study-2021-06-25/

1 Like

The text included with the link, but not part of the headline, was “The 13-year-old had received a second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine three days prior to his death.” This is what is misleading. It does not describe the totality of the article. I don’t care if it’s the poster or the article publisher who provides the text, it has the same result.

Deleted

This article has a good summary of the discussion at the ACIP meeting. Note there was also a discussion re booster shots.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/93258?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2021-06-24&eun=g1828535d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Headlines%20Top%20Cat%20HeC%20%202021-06-24&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition

“The text included with the link, but not part of the headline, was “The 13-year-old had received a second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine three days prior to his death.” This is what is misleading. It does not describe the totality of the article. I don’t care if it’s the poster or the article publisher who provides the text, it has the same result.”

I agree.

1 Like

On a different note, my employer is trying the gift prize method to encourage vaccination. We have 1200 employees. I know ~300 got vaccinated through my employer in late Jan/Feb/early March. I don’t know how many got shots elsewhere. They have 200 gift cards ($10-50) to be given away over a three week period. In order to be eligible, you have to bring a copy (or original) card to HR and they would put your name on the list. You have until the last day of the final drawing to show your card.

Last week, I won $30 and younger S won $50. This week I won $30 AGAIN! Younger S also got one, though he’s out of town and can’t see how much. Two other people in our office also won twice. I have a feeling this has not encouraged many to get shots. I also bet a lot of vaccinated didn’t bother with showing HR their cards. Several in my office did not and the office is upstairs. It would be tougher for those who work in other building. Nonetheless, it is good news for my family!

1 Like

That rarely happens here. Or anywhere. But few call it out. If that became the norm on this site it would totally bog down.

2 Likes

I found this article to be very useful (ETA: same with the other stuff posted on the topic). My personal concern with our son’s situation - including his distance from family, very busy internship schedule, statistically higher risk due to age and gender, timing of the second dose, and the rapid onset nature of the myocarditis - means that I needed facts this week. We were able to share information with our son so that he’s informed, aware of what to look out for and what action to take, but not worried. And now, neither are we. Covid of course would be a concern but we had an action plan in place for that and the vaccine-linked myocarditis is more acute (although obviously less common).

1 Like

Agree - if we think there might be more to the story don’t we usually post that information as a follow-up? I’d prefer to continue that practice rather than monitor everyone’s choice of link vs. hyperlink. . .

1 Like

I’m sure in many articles posted the headline does not include the totality of the article. People are able to read these articles for more information.

If someone posts about covid deaths they aren’t scolded for not including deaths that might be attributed to vaccines even if that information may be somewhere else in the article.

I don’t believe the general public is coming here for their vaccine safety information. Why is it so negatively regarded when a link is posted or a suggestion is made that a vaccine could potentially cause harm? Of course they are safer than having covid but they can still have bad effects for some. We should be able to discuss that freely?

The fact is many are reluctant. Many health professionals are reluctant. Many minorities appear to be reluctant. Many of a certain political party are more reluctant. We here posting in this thread aren’t really swaying the general population. We should be able to discuss nicely amongst ourselves without the heavy handed retort every time a post speaks of a potential ill of the vaccine.

8 Likes

I feel like this thread has gotten far from the original intent…

3 Likes

Today, there is an obituary in our neighboring town paper for a 19 year old Alaska commercial fisherman who died from Covid. :cry:

Meanwhile, the health department in the county where I went to college put out a couple of warnings/statements this week re: the Delta variant. Their hospital beds are near capacity: patients are younger and more sick. They are pleading with folks to get vaccinated. The vaccination rate in that county is 33%, but a couple of the neighboring counties’ rates are less than 15%. Many other nearby counties are less than 25%. Misinformation is out of control and people who get vaccinated are referred to over and over on FB as “Snowflakes”.

Which county are you referring to ?