Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling

<p>Thoughts? </p>

<p>I think that the students that have overcome the dilemma faced by this valedictorian and express this in their essay are the ones that get into the best schools based on their essays alone.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Valid point, but we can never be so sure.
I actually read her speech; interesting and captivating, but I found her speaking skills abominable. She could’ve really knocked it out the park. But I respect the overall message and I acknowledge the quality, or lack thereof, of our educational system. Something has to be done. </p>

<p>The prose was incredibly dramatic though. I wouldn’t have gone so far to make indirect references to Big Brother or comparing students to slaves.</p>

<p>I agree. For such a dramatic speech she didn’t sound very convinced of what she was saying. Most awkward thing I’ve seen all day.</p>

<p>I think the valedictorian has her own personal issues. The educational system has problems, but, like everything else, it is what you make of it. Education didn’t beat creativity and passion out of her. You can be academically successful without being a slave! I’m #4 in my class, formerly valedictorian, and I have fun even with 6 AP’s! It’s up to you to make your life happy. School can be a part of that, or you can end up bitter and drained like this young lady.</p>

<p>^And justadream, I AGREE ABOUT THE SPEAKING. As a debater and orator, I cringed every time I heard her awkwardly pause or use weird inflection. she wrote the thing didn’t she?</p>

<p>In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad.</p>

<p>~Nietzsche</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh, you’re my (almost) twin! Hello. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, it’s quite disappointing that she did not harangue her audience. I was expecting a real firebrand. :(</p>