Vanderbilt Admission chances

Hello everyone,

I am currently a high school junior looking into colleges and Vanderbilt is at the top of my list. I am aware of the high standards and the low admissions rate but I am still hopeful. I was wondering if anyone with admissions experience, inside perspective of Vanderbilt or other current applicants or parents of applicants could help me figure out my chances!

My current Stats:
unweighted gpa: 3.65
weighted gpa: 4.6
ACT/SAT: have not been able to take them yet due to covid
I have taken 9 AP courses and plan to take more next year
I have been captain of the girls varsity bowling team for 3 years (I’d also like to play in college)
I am a part of NHS, International Club and Key Club

I am currently looking into majoring in forensic science and minoring in writing! If anyone has any advice in regards to applying, essays or anything else that may be helpful, I would really appreciate it.

Have a good day!

An A- average is a tad low for them, based upon my experience. My gut is that you will need to submit tests (assuming still test optional) with a 1500+ or 35+ and apply early decision to have any shot. You seem to be a strong applicant, but you may not have an obvious way to stand-out based upon the information you shared - besides maybe bowling which is a pretty unique varsity sport. Do you also enter tournaments, participate in bowling leagues, hold records? Anyway, good luck, but Vanderbilt is a very tough one. On the bright side, there are other similarly strong schools that are a bit easier to get into and those may be of equal interest upon further exploration.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes I plan on submitting tests as soon as I am able to take them! In regards to bowling, I regularly participate in tournaments, have won several awards and compete in leagues on the regular. I have collected scholarships from these bowling tournaments and plan to until I graduate.

I will definitely look into similar schools and apply early decision. Thank you so much for your insight!

1 Like

That’s really good about bowling. I can see a unique essay around that, possibly with some humor. That would be a fun way to stand-out. It is a different-enough sport these days and it’s very cool that you do it.

1 Like

You’re gonna have to kill it on the SAT/ACT. There’s simply no other way to get into a school like Vandy. Hopeful for you, and I think a 4.6 is really impressive. I’d be a little worried if those are your only ECs (not sure if they are). For preparation, start working on your essays now. You want a lotttt of time to work on them. Prep for the tests as much as you can. Unfortunately due to COVID-19, class of '22 is going to be really competitive because students will have so much time to prepare. Think about things about you that set you apart, something that an admissions rep would see on your application and think about for more than 5 minutes. If you can really wow them with one thing, it’s much easier to get in than if you just are quantitatively qualified.

I have similar stats and extracurriculars. I think they should be able to extrapolate in terms of the SAT. I think you have a really good chance of acceptance!