Vent about UC decisions

The stat I saw that made that comparison was apples/oranges, as the 11% number was for low-income first gen, whereas there is a sizable portion of UC 1st gen that are NOT low income.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the magic number is
 I think a higher number than the 1970s is warranted given the global economy, but think 22% is way too high. I think if I had to design the perfect system, I’d put it back at 5% but have mandatory study abroad for a semester with reciprocal relationships with overseas unis. Immersion in a culture is so much more effective than just being classmates with international students.

I had posted the same request on another thread and people feel UC admission cannot be controlled by law makers. After people see the message from senator hopefully will change their mind and help to sign a petition.

1 Like

Yes if the tax payers are ready to take the additional burden of tuition loss that will happen because of the reduction of OOS, why not
 It is a system created by and is for California tax payers.

Another easy way to make sure the system is completely meritocratic is to make fees same for in-state and oos and reduce tax payer support :slight_smile:

Some of the rejections on this group sound really insane. Of course the craze about CS should be kept aside but even for Life Sciences some seller profiles seem to have not gotten in.

If I recall correctly, this was precisely the issue: rapidly rising tuition for in state students. I seem to recall various protests happening around the UC because of tuition hikes which the regents argued were unavoidable because state funding was insufficient. So their solution was more full pay OOS and international students. That’s what got us into this situation.

However, they are trying to address it, I believe. The state is now promising additional funding to the UC to reduce OOS and increase in state admissions numbers. So I think they are trying to reverse the previous trend and bring the UC back to Californians.

There will always be OOS and international students at the UC and I personally think that is a good thing. I like the diversity of perspectives that brings and think it contributes to the intellectual and social vitality of the campuses.

The issue is finding that sweet spot in terms of percentage. But that will likely hinge to a large degree on what happens with state funding of the UCs and how many in state students they can afford to subsidize.

5 Likes

Remember though that the MAJORITY of UC students PAY NO TUITION at all. Instead of that, perhaps a sliding scale would enable OOS to be reduced from 20% down to 10%. That way it wouldn’t burden the CA taxpayer as much. ALSO it is is clearly ridiculous that UCLA charges the same tuition as UCM. I’m sure that the (minority of) in-state UC students who are charged $17k/yr regardless of campus would be happy to pay much more for UCLA, Cal, and other highest-demand UCs. The “supply and demand” of UC campus pricing is out of whack for full paying in state students.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the beauty of the UC system though? The low tuition for highest quality education
it’s great at all the campuses regardless of popularity or perceived “prestige” (I love your reminder that that means “illusion.”). Our daughter is going to UCLA and our EFC means we pay in state sticker price, despite that being a silly calculation when you take into account cost of living in CA. So, very glad for the same tuition price across the whole system. She would not have been able to choose UCLA if it weren’t for that–it would have been priced out of our budget.

5 Likes

I’m not sure how you think the UC’s give “low tuition for the highest quality education.” The cost-benefit of going to UCLA or Berkeley instate is worth it, but most kids would get a higher quality education for a lower cost at SDSU, Cal Poly, or CSULB than some of the lower-ranked UC schools. Also, plenty of other states have top quality public universities offered at a lower in-state cost than the UC’s, especially factoring in housing/food costs.

I don’t think we actually disagree with each other. :woman_shrugging: Except for the “lower tier UC” thing. I think all the UCs give a highest quality education. But you’re totally right that not all majors/careers need a UC and could get just as good or better an education at a Cal State. Also, other states having low in-state tuition is awesome but my family lives in California, so I’m glad about the low tuition at UCs. None of that effects me being glad that I can pay the low UC-wide tuition for my daughter, who does need a research university for her major.

2 Likes

@Sugardog1 , according to you what other states offer top quality for public universities?

UC’s are the top tier 1 on a national level. So I wonder if other states are at the same level which ones ? Or maybe at a close second tier?

Way too much is placed into rankings
 especially overall school rankings. There is a lot to love about the UC system, especially for in-state that get admitted, but I do not believe it provides a better education on average than other excellent state systems
 its just larger and does a great job of integrating first gen students (which counts in many of the college rankings). As far as other excellent state systems? A few that come to mind: Virgina, Texas, Michigan
 there are lots, honestly. -CA parent

5 Likes

Kings Canyon NP is also relatively close, and is another gem of a park.

2 Likes

I’m just trying to figure out what happen?
My kid’s gpa for UC - 4.0 uw and 4.4w
Meaningful EC, volunteer, work.
My kid’s HS has a rigorous academic load, highly competitive and demanding. The HS is well known at the national level.

Rejected or waitlisted to top and middle tier UCs.
Did not apply to UCM because did not appeal to my kid at all and wouldn’t enroll if accepted.

It’s heartbreaking to see how deflated and sad my kid feels.
Of course, my student will do well in whatever college.
But it doesn’t take away the feelings of disappointment/sadness of working so hard to be rejected /waitlisted in this way.

I know my kid has a bright future but still this is very painful.

—-Do you mind sharing your stats that got u or your kid waitlisted/rejected.

4 Likes

What major?

1 Like

No cs which now days is super hard.
My mind is in a fog with all these low feelings, but in general, Selected different major per UC. I’ll check my notes to correctly remember major by each UC

You can see also see all the stats of accepted/waitlisted/denied in the individual official threads for each UC campus

2 Likes

I started a different thread for people to list all of their UC results from this cycle.

4 Likes

I heard from a friend there is a UC Vent thread so i am on here to vent lol. Been a while, some might remember me.

My son also got rejected at UCSB and UCLA, admitted at UCD. Waiting for UCB. He only applied to the 4 UCs. We are from NJ, and had he gotten into UCLA, he would have picked it. He loves CA. We decided that he won’t get into UCB. I don’t mind that he won’t get into UCB, but would have loved UCLA.

However, he has great choices with the ones that wanted him so far:

UMich
Purdue
Stevens (we are hoping he picks Stevens, love love love this school)
PSU
Rutgers
UCD

Applied to Computer science for all the schools.

His sister applied to the UCs 4 years ago and got in to every UC, and now graduating from UCB in May (wow, time flies!). She is loving it! Her stats were very good, but compared to my son’s test scores, his is better.

GPA 95 (out of 100, unweighted. none of his class is lower than 92 average. Math, CS, and physic classes were all 99 and 100)

10 APs, all 5S
ACT 36
SAT 1560
Team captain of high level club soccer and HS teams
Tons and tons of volunteering hours
Mentoring disabled students daily and tutoring math.
Excellent essays (verified by experts).
Love to read
Lead tons of fund raising for good causes (b/c he loves doing it, not to check the box).

His application package is a lot better than his sister, i think. But yeah, no luck at the UCs. I know the UCs don’t care about test scores, but not sure what else they are looking at. It’s their loss lol. My son had brief moment of disappointment but he moved on and has a great attitude about it.

He is deferred at CMU, for CS it’s virtually impossible. So i think what he has in front of him now is it.

Great acceptances so far! Curious why he was not interested in UCSD.