Vent about UC decisions

What would be the alternative?

1 Like

Those of us who lived through the 2017 admissions cycle are very leery of over enrollment. At my daughterā€™s chosen school, Cal Poly slo, they overenrolled by 1,000 students, causing all sorts of problems with housing dining, class offerings, etcā€¦ UC Irvine also overenrolled that year by about 1,000 students and tried to remedy the situation by rescinding offers for silly reasons. There was chaos, a huge backlash, and they ended up having to take those students anyway.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure any system is perfect, Iā€™m speaking from the point of view of having experienced the UK system where they do not take more students than they can handle and if you are unlucky enough to not receive any offers or your A level exam results are not what was required for admission (offers are contingent on those results) then you can enter a system called ā€˜clearingā€™ where a professional will search all the colleges with space available and find a close alternative to what you were looking for. It may not be the exact degree or location you want, but they try to match you with the closest they have available. You do not have to take the offer, and a lot of kids might choose to take a gap year instead which seems to be much more common than here. EDIT: Although having just looked at it for the first time in 30+ years (lol) it seems itā€™s much more on the the student today to search and find the spots themselves. The universities will advertise what courses have space available and qualify for clearing, on a central list.

Itā€™s just a different way of finding people who want to go into higher education a place to study under those circumstances. That system also has its pros and cons. I was really just thinking out loud and asking a question.

Yes I remember that. Quite the mess.

1 Like

I am a parent of a 2021 student. The year that UCSD overenrolled 800 spots. Although 800 spots were a drop in a bucket compared to the 118,000 freshmen applicants that year, but it took a toll on everything from the housing to class sizes. There was really a problem in predicting the yields in these past few years.

4 Likes

My good friend who was the associated dean of engineering at cal poly Slo is now the dean of engineering at ucm. He has promised me there is new and exciting things to come in the future. Donā€™t
write off ucm yet!

1 Like

Iā€™m not familiar with what happened in 2021, my kidsā€™ applications have been 2019, 2020 and now 2023.

2023 seems very different to the two previous years our family went through this.

Was there a big waitlist as well as over enrollment? That would be interesting.

Here is UCSDā€™s common data set from that year (I donā€™t think 2022 is available yet). They did overenroll (they admitted 40K students!!) and took nobody off the waitlist. 25K kids were waitlisted, 8K+ accepted a spot, 0 got in.

So Iā€™m not surprised that they admitted fewer students in 2022. Will be interesting to see how many they admitted this year, but Iā€™m sure they are using waitlist to manage yield.

4 Likes

UCLA is probably one of the most preprofessional colleges in the nation and is the most preprofessional of the UCs. UCLA produces the most MDs probably in the nation, so 10 years out of college is not necessarily going to register full professional status for them. Iā€™d be appreciative if you DM me your sources. Thanksā€¦

Iā€™m curious as to what would happen if the UCs did indeed drastically drop OOS enrollment, perhaps cutting it in half as seems to be the common desire of this forum. Will we see any real change in number of in-state students admitted? Surely there will be 100s more at the most desired UCs and maybe a couple thousand more at the other UC campuses, but this is unlikely to move the needle of the CA publicā€™s perception: UCLA, the most applied to UC campus, admitting several thousand more in-state students will be hardly noticeable given that 100,000 in-state students apply. This is just the nature of a state with almost 40 million people with above average levels of educational attainment.

On the flip side, many OOS students (who do not compete for the same spots as in-state students by and large) are from neighboring states in the Western US. Many of these states have a sliver of CAā€™s population, and have public university options that will not serve the stateā€™s brightest as well as a UC campus or the University of Washington (another very solid state flagship that takes in many Western students as OOS). Cutting OOS enrollment will have a very noticeable impact for these students.

These students also bring interesting perspectives and geographical diversity, despite making up less than 20% of the UC student body. I like to think that my classmates, dormmates, and friends from NV, NM, CO, and OR bring some diversity to my school that seems to take almost half of its students from three CA counties.

To all of the Californians here venting about their UC decisions: I understand your pain. I was initially denied admission to my major back at my in-state university, and only won admission after a long appeals process ending in late May that left me disgruntled. At the end of the day, everything will work out, especially given how resourceful and accomplished the students posting on this forum are.

Full disclosure: I am an OOS student attending a UC.

7 Likes

I agree with all of that. And mainly because of what my in-state UCLA student has said about the value of OOS and Intl students to his experience there.

4 Likes

As stated in my post, the source is a NYT article and that link was embedded in a Reddit post that I also linked. But Iā€™ll post those links again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CalPoly/comments/125bny1/nyt_cal_poly_4_in_value_for_money/

1 Like

Iā€™m speaking of your post #785 the one listing Harvard as #32 in salary 10 years out. If you would send me the link from reddit by DM, Iā€™d be appreciative.

1 Like

Again, the post is contained the Reddit link. The post is a comment below using the New York Times article.

Well said ā€¦.I was slightly taken aback by your handle but you are good :slight_smile: Take care

Deleted. Response to hidden/flagged post. My apologies.

1 Like

I kind of prefer waitlists to rejectionsā€“feels like more of a ā€œsoftā€ rejection. You were qualified, and we liked you, but there just isnā€™t enough room for you right now.

What I DONā€™T like is stringing students along as the summer drags on. I think UC should close all their waitlists relatively earlyā€“say July 1 maybeā€“and announce it.

4 Likes

Honestly there is PLENTY of all kinds of diversity with CA students alone. All kinds of backgrounds and perspectives. But I agree SOME OOS and international should certainly be admitted: but say 10% (as now TX and VA do) instead of UCLAā€™s outrageous 23% or whatever it is.

1 Like

I am not sure if some of the CSUā€™s such as Cal Poly SLO or SJSU would be any easier. My friendā€™s HS senior daughter has a single UC acceptance at UCSC. The rest are mostly waitlists. She is also rejected by CP SLO and SJSU. Her mom is sure that single B in 10th grade cost all of this despite the many many APā€™s and high level math classes taken at community college. But looks like many 4.0 students get similar results. Are there any GPA<4.0 students even admitted by UC for CS these days?