Vent about UC decisions

As I have said all along, it is one of a number of properties on the UCD campus that are operated by third parties under a variety of arrangements.

The larger issue is that it indeed part of the inventory of on-campus housing, and that official UC system data still shows that UCD has one of the lowest rates on-campus housing shares in the entire UC system.

Another issue is that people who are not in Scratchy’s income bracket have problems finding housing in Davis. But because Scratchy can afford things, they are in denial that there are any problems.

What happened? Students don’t show up to class because they all know the materials, or they have other ways to learn the materials? What do they use the time for nowadays?

I have no idea how the numbers are crunched, but it’s pretty clear that the third party housing located on campus is different from University-run apartments. UCLA has campus-owned and operated apartments too, and so does UC Davis by the looks of things. But these seem like they are entirely out of the hands of the University. You get them on your own.

This is from the UC Davis Student Housing and Dining Services website.

I think SHA denotes Student Housing Apartments.

Are we still venting about UC Decisions, because it feels like we’ve gotten way off track, and even ventured into personal attacks.

5 Likes

ACC at UCI is also a public-private partnership. Sol at UCD is a long term ground lease. This UCOP pdf shows the relationship between a ground lease and a ground lessor. The ground lessee is “responsible to design, finance, construct, own and operate the facility (at risk).”

@sushiritto, the UCs have allowed private ownership of housing complexes on university property. Although they are technically on university owned property, they aren’t what anyone would consider “on campus” housing. A lease signed with any of these entities is an agreement with a private party and not with the University of California.

5 Likes

Sol has one, two, three and four bedroom apartments.

There are a limited number of three and four bedroom apartments that are offered as SHA apartments through UC Davis.

Since The Green at West Village has been built, the rest at Sol are independently leased through Landmark Property and considered ‘off campus’ for billing.

I’d like to get off this subject at some point, but just wanted to add that it goes a bit further than just what a parent considers is ‘on-campus’ housing.

This is the issue that many parents came up against in 2020 when the residential halls were closed due to covid. The student still wanted to be ‘away’ at college so many freshman looked for apartments at Sol. They found their financial aid packages changing when they went from what would have been classed as ‘on-campus’ by UC Davis financial aid office, to ‘off-campus’ at Sol.

3 Likes

Most professors record their classes and post them online as well as post lecture slides. Because of this, many students choose to sleep in/eat lunch/hang with friends/grind out homework, and then just watch the lectures on 2 or 3 times speed back at their dorms at their leisure. It’s much more efficient for some than making the trek to and from class at the designated time.

Housing and dining brings in $$ yes to colleges. Both UC and Cal State. It’s actually quite a racket (although I nevertheless appreciate UCLA’s “4 year housing guarantee”). They can charge astronomical housing and dining fees (hey, “student aid” will cover it–Dept of ED federal loans/grants–so the price isn’t responsive to market forces really). Then the students are stacked in bunks like they are in a submarine. Then the university has total control over those residents (RAs, mandates, closing dorms during covid while private landlords certainly didn’t evict their student tenants!). At my son’s Cal State dorm last year students were yelled at if they fell asleep in the daytime on their own beds with the door open without a mask on! (True story.)

Cal Poly SLO is slowly requiring more and more of their students to live 2 years on campus–maybe later requiring 4 years on campus–which means they can control where they live, including moving them to Europe or to studying remote from home every other semester after they move to the semester system (this is a long term plan of Cal Poly SLO to grow and deal with the incredible demand for those students from CA employers).

And the food–quality decreasing, hours decreasing, cost increasing. It’s all a racket. I’m unhappy with UC and Cal State dorms and dining plans. Not student focused at all. They should just get food trucks. More and more these universities want to act as landlords and food service. I think I read UC is already CA’s largest landlord.

1 Like

The housing issues at UCSC scared me the most; I was relieved that my DD opted to not SIR there. It’s one thing to have overpriced, crowded housing (like at UCSB in IV where $1200 buys you only a top bunk in a room with 3 other students, and in a house with 14 students crammed in total!).

It’s another thing altogether to struggle to find housing at ANY price. The residents of Santa Cruz don’t seem to be budging. Won’t let UCSC build anything.

It’s going to be a struggle enough for my DD to register for the classes she needs. Struggling to find housing at ANY price is a bridge too far. . .

5 Likes

That’s pretty bad on UCD’s part. They inventory the units/beds as on-campus for the purposes of the LRDP (Long Range Development Plan) and the baseline housing stats and target goals in the MOU with the City of Davis, but then students/families get screwed on FA because a private for-profit company has the ground leases and runs the property. And it’s “luxury” housing that’s great for someone’s investment portfolio.

There have been a number of insults and rude comments exchanged on this thread. I have deleted and edited a number of posts.

This is a reminder that this forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place where members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned.

Thank you for your cooperation

5 Likes

Why are you guys focusing on Davis and Santa Cruz when UC San Diego has the worst housing situation.

2 Likes

Meh, I’m not too worried about it. My daughter is headed there this fall, submitted the housing application yesterday. If she meets all deadlines she is guaranteed 2 years within her college (Sixth), and we looked around and asked around enough to see that there is indeed off campus housing to be found. It will be a matter of getting to campus, but with the trolley that seems more doable than it was even a few years ago.

I love that UCLA guarantees 4 years and that on campus housing is close/clustered together. But even so our son is moving off the hill after 2 years. It’s kind of what they do anyway.

I wasn’t worried if my daughter chose Davis because there is housing to be found in Davis. I was worried about Santa Cruz. Irvine she didn’t get far enough along in her interest for us to investigate what it would look like after the first two years.

3 Likes

Where are you getting the information that that they inventory the beds at Sol as on-campus?

UC Davis don’t know how many beds are occupied at Sol. They don’t communicate with them. The only communication will come from the limited number that Davis themselves lease from Sol as SHA apartments (114 rooms I believe). The rest are private apartments. If Sol have an unoccupied apartment or decide to lease a previously single room as a double up, that doesn’t get reported to UC Davis? The leases are private between Landmark properties and the individual. Davis would be considered a third party at that stage and Sol would need permission from the student to release the information.

Davis have no input at Sol. The covid rules put in place at all of their on-campus housing (such as mask wearing, single use bedrooms, dining hall closures, testing, quarantine etc) did not apply at Sol as Davis have no influence over what happens there.

2 Likes

I thought Berkeley had the worst housing situation, lol. We were up there last week, and I’m not particularly concerned. Housing is expensive, but it’s part of the costs up front. It does seem housing can be found, but it won’t be at bargain prices.

1 Like

So technically you can live far away, watch recordings and won’t miss anything?

THIS should be adapted across board. Thus we won’t have housing problems in UC any more. :rofl:

This should probably be its own thread since it isn’t isolated to the UCs.

The pandemic brought many things that, for better or worse, have changed the way we live. Many people continue to work remotely. Grocery and food delivery services are more widely used. More professors are open to (and know how to) record and post their lectures. While many parents are concerned that remote learning is inferior to in-person, many students find that it works better for them.

@ucla_cs_god shared their experience at UCLA and @ucscuuw has shared their son’s experience at Berkeley. I’ve also seen it at the schools (both private and public) that my children attend.

3 Likes

Lol. I don’t know about other campuses, but they have really cracked down on in-person attendance at Davis.

Both my daughters have in-person attendance as part of their grade. I’m wondering if they implemented it to stop the students from just sleeping in and watching the lecture later on playback :smile:
(which became a big problem after covid restrictions were lifted).

2 Likes