Vent about UC decisions

Could everybody please move on from the Sol residences at Davis.

4 Likes

There is a different price tag between Harvard and UCLA in-state tuition. UC in-state tuition is a steal at $15,000/year, and the majority of in-state students are not full-pay. That is why it doesnā€™t make sense for the OOS to attend UC if they are accepted to other comparable private university.

2 Likes
  • If California were a country, it would be the 5th largest economy globallyā€¦ So not only some statesā€¦ :wink:

• All UCs are in the national top 100 of most rankings regardless of the criteria used.

• The cost for in-state married to middle-class scholarship, other potential scholarships, etc., for the quality in return is excellent.

The list of good reasons goes on and on ā€¦

I have to correct this. This is not true anymore for UCSD being worse than other UCs for the housing standpoint. The trolley (free for students) now provides access to reasonable price (for SoCal standard) off-campus apartments in variety of decent areas. A 1,300 bed upperclassman apartment is in construction and with a completion in Fall 2024. UCSD has always planned to offer 4-year guaranteed housing and currently 2-year is guaranteed. The cost to live on-campus at UCSD is less expensive than living in other area in La Jolla. My sophomore son lives in a 2 bedroom campus apartment with a nice size kitchen(4 students total) with a meal plan and we pay $1,200 per month (utilities included). This is a good deal considering how expensive La Jolla is.

2 Likes
1 Like

Based on the following data for share of undergrads housed on campus, UCB is by far the worst. UCSD is not great, but not as bad as that. (This data does not speak to off-campus housing situations in the surrounding communities)

Undergraduate-occupied beds Fall 2022 & undergrad enrollment Fall 2022

• Berkeley: 8,704/ 32,479/ 26.8%
  • Davis: 12,406/ 31,532/ 39.3%
  • Irvine: 12,981/ 28,662/ 45.3%
  • Los Angeles: 18,394/ 32,423/ 56.7%
  • Merced: 4,077/ 8,343/ 48.9%
  • Riverside: 8,100/ 22,911/ 35.4%
  • San Diego: 12,917/ 33,096/ 39.0%^^
  • Santa Barbara: 8,869^/23,459/ 37.8%
  • Santa Cruz 8,969^/17,502/ 51.2%

^Above actual listed occupancy: e.g. doubles converted to triples
^^corrected from transcription error in my previous presentation of this data
Source: UC Office of the President

In their Long Range Development Plans (LRDPs), 6 of the UCs have committed to achieving (or maintaining) on-campus housing for 50% of enrollment. Notably: UCB, UCD, and UCR have not.

And most (maybe all?) have committed to housing 100% of future enrollment increases. Some, such as UCD, had to be dragged kicking and screaming with student government and community pressure to do so.

These commitments in the LRDPs arenā€™t enforceable though. And it looks like the State is trying to back off/delay much needed campus housing funding commitments.

1 Like

Yes. You are right. They canā€™t get anything done in Santa Cruz. Forever tied up in legal battles which I suspect is the point of the objectors.

As of right now, housing is guaranteed for all freshman and about 50% of Sophomores live on campus and we were told at banana slug day that many choose to move off campus. I suspect this is also why some UC campuses donā€™t worry about having beds available for more than one or two years. They know the makeup of their student population (some campuses have a higher % of commuters than others for example) and the makeup of their environment. I suspect the amount and type of other accomodation available locally also has an impact on that decision. They would hardly put the time and expense into building beds if they know they are likely to sit empty.

1 Like

Yesā€“I see a lot of emphasis on ā€œUC must build more dorms and guarantee student housingā€ but the truth is a lot of soph and older students donā€™t WANT to live in dorms more than one year. They have oppressive RAs, less freedom, canā€™t have a cat or a car, are in triples (too cramped!) with little or no common areas, donā€™t have a kitchen. What would be ideal would be more university-owned and built student APARTMENTS, with a rental contract that is aligned with the school academic calendar, just off campus that allow these things, along with more freedom and fewer ā€œrules.ā€ Thatā€™s what students really want. (My 4th is my first UC-bound but Iā€™ve had 2 at Cal States and 1 who went international). Either that or just more privately owned student housing thatā€™s very near campus. Whatā€™s the deal with UC signing that deal with Blackstone? I donā€™t understand it. Does it have something to do with housing?

5 Likes

From the article you linked:

Yes, but once you hit this part of the EIR legal process, itā€™s just about fait accompli.

1 Like

Do you mean Blackstone? Itā€™s my understanding that itā€™s the UC investment arm that has made that agreement and it has less to do with housing and more to do with investment, Blackstone just happens to be a real estate trust. I could be wrong, I havenā€™t really looked into it either.

As for the student apartments, that would be a nice idea - Iā€™d like to see something similar to the options they have a available at some of the campuses in the UK where international and out-of-state students either donā€™t have to move out or move all their belongings out once the school year ends. Give the students the option of either paying for a full year and not having to move out, or just paying for the academic year and then moving out.

:rofl: You have to go to Oxbridge if your kid wants to be waited at the dining table!

Yes! My kid at UC Davis wanted to stay on college owned apartments with a group of friends from her dorm but it didnā€™t work out. She was assigned a dorm which she absolutely refused, so now they all are renting an off campus apartment.

1 Like

Thanksā€“yes I meant Blackstone and I edited. Some of this all feels very shady. Is UC really the stateā€™s biggest landlord? A lot of $$ at stake.

Guess what else is great about UK uni housing. EVERYONE has a single. Sharing rooms is unheard of. And they have ā€œen suiteā€ bathrooms (often their own bathroom, like a hotel). Itā€™s so depressing to me that my DD is likely looking at a triple at UCSB, packed in like a sardine. I know she will ā€œget through it,ā€ but her older brothers were lucky: the first had a single in the UK, the second had a double at SLO (student athlete perk), the third had a double at Chico (not impacted housing). But she wonā€™t be so lucky I suspect. . .

2 Likes

My youngest is looking at either a triple or a quad at UCSC. She doesnā€™t mind - she actually would prefer to have a few roommates.

I donā€™t know how the rooms work at UCSB but at UCSC you can choose from a small triple to a larger triple, to a quad - the quad rooms actually look quite roomy. Loft bed each with a desk underneath in some of the colleges instead of the traditional bunk set up.

Online learning is my red line.

1 Like

But is it your studentā€™s? :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. He is still recovering from damage done by online Covid learning.

Weā€™ve told our students that it is/was up to them whether to go to every class, watch recorded lectures, or take any online/asynch classes. They are adults and we remind them that college success is/was up to them to figure out. We can coach and give advice, but execution is on them. If they feel 100% in-person class is necessary, then they need to make that happen.

They also know that if they fail classes, that may cost more in terms of another quarter or semester, and that will be a conversation with possible tough consequences.

5 Likes