Vent about UC decisions

Yes, I believe the UC’s have abandoned the idea of another type of placement test.

2 Likes

I’ve read that major matters more than or at least as much as college prestige for salaries of alumni.

Yes the economy is worse so I bet more in state parents (regardless of income) will nudge their kids to pick their UC options (if any) rather than OOS or private. I predict yield will be higher for UC this year. (Bad news for student housing!)

It’s funny because one phrase in one of my DD’s PIQ answers described Peoples Park in Berkeley (where she volunteered at a food bank) as being “littered with syringes glistening in the sun.” I read that and thought well–either UC Berkeley is going to HATE that (she’s criticizing UC Berkeley almost directly because they own Peoples Park), or they are going to LOVE that (because it’s funny and shows that despite her sheltered Christian private high school she can handle the grit and grime of Berkeley). It was truly her, and so I said nothing, and allowed her to keep that in and keep that risk. Might have been a mistake but I believe UC when they say they want to know what students really think and how they really are. If she’s not admitted to Cal next week I’ll return here and vent about it! :grinning:

2 Likes

In 2019 my eldest daughter had a perfect UW gpa of 4.0. she was 4.4 weighted capped and 4.67 UW uncapped. Top 9% ELC.

President of clubs, Girl Scouts since forever, hours and hours of ballet, so many extras I can’t remember them all and she was also waitlisted at UCLA. Interestingly she was not really that keen on going there and so did not accept a place on the waitlist. Maybe even back then the holistic approach was working?

2 Likes

My son was accepted at UCSD (submitted music supplement) and waitlisted at UCLA. He was also accepted at Pomona, Swarthmore and some other colleges as well. He applied for non-STEM/impacted majors at UC. Just ironic that we has accepted at some extremely selective colleges but his home-state system did not deem him worthy (UCLA).

3 Likes

Yes I’m noticing with my DD’s UC results so far that she’s almost being “steered” by UC to those campuses that are truly the best fits for her (UCD especially, so far).

1 Like

No amount of GPA/ECs/PIQs can guarantee outcome at one particular school with the huge number of applicants that they get. Time to let it go if you got into other UCs and not UCLA/UCB. Next thing you know, four years down the road there will be only TWO companies you want to work for as well. This is setting unrealistic expectations for kids.

8 Likes

I’m definitely OK with venting and there are MANY problems with UC admissions (now that I’ve been through this with my teens 4 times since 2014), but I like this phrase about the concept of “fairness:” “Fairness is for idiots and children.” Still, many of our teens are still 17. . .

1 Like

Going test blind is a huge factor.

6 Likes

I actually think that’s ridiculous. Your salary has everything to go with your career path and little to do with where you went to school.

3 Likes

Not to dimimish his high school accomplishment, the OOS university also wanted OOS tuition. Same as why the UCs accepted the OOS. Cal and UCSB results are still pending. Perhaps he will get in either or both. Our friend’s kid got accepted to those T25 OOS too, and one UC which was Riverside. Again for this ultracompetitive major - CS/Comp Eng.

Well, maybe not helpful but relevant and certainly eye-opening.

Not at all.

Yes, and that’s why @warriormom75 has every right to vent. If school prestige and chosen major matter, then not having top UC options versus out of state options (costs for tuition and travel can run a lot higher in this case) is a matter of principle for any state taxpayer who is applying.

5 Likes

Exactly. And this is where it is bs for Californian families to have to head out of state and pay OOS tuition when taxpayers help these schools exist in the first place.

4 Likes

There’s no context here.

Yes, of course anyone has a right to vent about their college decisions.

However, you cannot compare admissions received oos to the UC system because they are so different.

We don’t know why the family feel the UC system hasn’t worked for them. Huge assumptions are being made about the quality of a certain major at a certain campus based on a bunch of numbers someone collated into a list (the holy grail of rankings).

We don’t know if something in the application didn’t work for certain campuses and we also don’t know whether or not it was a perfect application but they only had 4 spots for perfect applicants and 5 applied and this family just got unlucky.

There are too many California applicants for everyone to get what they want. Whether we like that reality or not.

2 Likes

I felt the same for my son 2 years ago. I felt the UC steered him to where it fit him most. I actually think holistic admission has worked. I know some students had their dream UC school (prestige or whatever reasons), but may be that particular UC was not a fit and the AO saw that…

1 Like

Don’t disagree with any of your points. Just feel that a taxpaying parent of a student with exceptional OOS acceptances has every right to vent about a paucity of in-state options.

10 Likes

Why do you think his home state didn’t think your son was worthy? He was accepted to UCSD. It is possible that UCSD is the most “fit” school for him eventhough UCLA is his dream school.

2 Likes