Virginia Tech acceptance???

Hi I am a NoVa high school junior and I was wondering about my chances of getting into Virginia Tech. I’ll also write down other schools I want to get into. I took the SAT once, and I got a 1420 (math:800, reading:620). I am waiting for another set of scores. I don’t know my exact GPA (I moved around a lot), but I think the uw is around 3.6 to 3.7 (never had grades below b). I take the full IB diploma.

Junior year courses:
-Math HL I
-Eng. Lang & Lit I
-IB Chem I
-IB Econ SL
-History of America
-IB Chinese I

Extracurricular:
-Cooking Club
-Hope Healing Home (orphanage related)
-Earth Force
-Badminton (APAC, ACAMIS…)
-Voluntary Tutoring
(there’s more but I forgot)

Schools I want to get into:
-VT
-UVA
-NYU
-Rensselaer

@jlueset4i3n11 What is your intended major? Some courses are harder to get accepted for than others. For example, you may get into all of the above universities for Applied Mathematics, but you stand a chance to get rejected to two of the above for Computer Science. So what is your intended major?

Chemistry, Business

From my perspective, UVA and NYU are a bit of a stretch. Since you mentioned you were interested in Chemistry, some of these schools may require SAT subject tests like Math II and Chemistry. Look at the admissions requirements and see what schools want for those majors. However, since you’re into Chem and Business, what do you have to show that proves that you’re interested in these fields?

If you’re really into Virginia Tech, apply ED or EA so that way, you’ll have a better chance at getting admitted. I could be wrong on this, so I’ll leave that for other posters to decide on what your chances are.

Hope this helped and best of luck applying!

Don’t apply to VA Tech ED if you need a scholarship or if it is not your first choice. ED is your promise that you will attend if accepted an there is no incentive for them to offer you money. VA Tech does not offer EA. I think you will easily get into Business at VA Tech.

I agree with above, don’t apply ED. The only real and good reason to apply ED to any school is for athletic team and athletic scholarship reasons.

For Chemistry I’d recommend the schools you listed in this order.
*Rensselaer
*Virginia Tech
*NYU
*UVA

For Business I’d recommend
*NYU
*Rensselaer
*UVA
*Virginia Tech

NYU is a bit expensive for what’s it’s worth, RPI would be your best choice overall depending on the finances. You should know NYU Tandon is in a bad location for the chemistry major, but acceptable for the business major. I know the Tandon school area very well and know just about all the streets in a 20 block radius. It won’t be a fun 4 years if you go there. The business school is a bit more mid-town manhattan which is nicer but you have to like that kind of living; it’s congested with constant noise and movement, not a moment of peace. RPI is more of the beautiful homey feel of a university campus. It’s in the middle of a quiet town with medium to low amount of things to do, but a 20 minute ride to Albany on the bus with everything to do. Virginia Tech is oversized and UVA is a nice sized school.

I’d recommend that you check the common data sets for all these schools.
Google the school name along with the words, “common data set”
Here’s one for example.
http://www.vsu.edu/academic-affairs/instit-planning-effectiveness/common-data-set.php