Virginia Tech CHANCES!!!!

First Generation African American Male from Northern Virginia I attend WPHS rising Senior

GPA: 8th Grade- Algebra 1,Spanish 1 C+ on both
9th Grade- massive stroke missed lots of school while recovering…(2.27)
10th Grade- 2 Honors, 1 IB…(3.87)
11th Grade - 6 IB courses…(4.55) All A’s 1 B
12th Grade-4 IB Courses 3 AP Courses…(TBD). But if I can get similar grades or even a little worse my gpa would still be about 4.5(I know I can’t just assume that I will do well but I am pretty confident that I will be able to get at least similar grades)

Overall: 3.5(due to freshman year) expect it to raise to at least 3.65 by end of first semester.(Given I get some mix of A’s and B’s the first semester but then again obviously you never know)

SAT: 1250 650 Math 600 Reading
Will take it again to try to increase my chances

Extracurriculars:
IB Programme
NSHS(Treasurer)
NMHS
Student Government
Peer Mediator
Theater Club
3 years of BBall
1 year of Track
Technology Student Association
DECA
Job at restaurant for two years

VERY NERVOUS!!!

Is the 3.5 W or UW? What major are you looking at applying to? Your SAT is about right.

weighted

and undecided

Average W GPA for incoming undecided is about a 3.9 and around a 1200 SAT. So your GPA is relatively low.

If you’re comfortable, I would make sure the admissions committee understands the circumstances surrounding your freshman year. Tech usually will look at trends in your performance and your grades, not your GPA.

Your SAT is pretty good, a 3.65 GPA is below average but with a 1250 SAT and solid curriculars you still have a good chance.Make sure to spruce up your EC’s on the application and write a really good essay and you’ll be fine.Good luck!

Your Reading SAT is as strong as 91% of the freshman enrolled this fall, while your Math SAT is as strong as 82%. I like your chances.

Hello! There’s a clear upward trend in your case. Focus on first semester grades and do all three of the 250 word essays. You have a very good chance of getting in, considering that you are also a URM and first generation college student. Good luck!

I think you have a great story to tell. How many students have so successfully overcome something so debilitating? I hope one of your essays focused on that. Also, your classes since then have gotten more challenging and your grades have gotten better and better. Solid SAT score too. Congrats to you for turning it all around. I would think that kind of resilience is something VT would love to see :slight_smile: