Virginia Tech Class of 2025 — Decision Release Date: Mar 1-15

Hopefully, RD will be released this week.

And individual programs within the business program have higher rankings. Also Pamplin has a 92% employment rate after graduation. There’s a lot of value in being able to start on business classes as a freshman, instead of having to wait and apply as a sophomore/junior and hope you’re in the 1/3 of applicants who get in.

As far as rankings go, there are dozens of publications that hand them out. USNWR is just the one that happens to be on most people’s immediate radar. Unless we’re talking Wharton, rankings alone don’t guarantee future success.

2 Likes

Glass_ad_330

Impossible to predict. It is all going to depend on how many of the offers they have out for computer science get accepted.

Agree. This is a crazy year (test optional, insane increases in apps, reliance on waitlists, etc.) and looking at last year isn’t helpful because VT pulled a LOT of kids off the waitlist in late spring to make up for students not being able to come due to Covid (like international students). This year is so unpredictable.

USNWR is where I found it, but as another poster said it is has a great job placement rate, etc as well.

Is Virginia Tech releasing decisions this Friday?

@karven2020 No one will know until VT social media hints earlier on the day of release.

I saw this blog post by the director of undergrad admissions at Georgia Tech:

https://sites.gatech.edu/admission-blog/2021/02/25…ld-in-2021-everyone-shorts-it/

Of course he mentions the 2019 VT yield miscalculation.

His bottom-line advice is copied below.

1- If you applied to a handful of selective colleges, don’t be surprised if you get waitlisted this year. If you are so angry that you want to write them off, don’t accept your spot on the waitlist. If you can put your ego aside and temper expectations (since hundreds, or possibly thousands of other kids are also on the waitlist), deposit elsewhere and sit tight. Don’t expect to come off the waitlist, and don’t expect much financial aid if you do. In some cases, you will be pleasantly surprised on one or both counts. But set your expectations based on fiscal reality and statistics.

2- When you get accepted (or if you already have been) ask your questions. Colleges need students, now more than ever. Yield is what it’s all about and you are precious to the places that offered you a spot. Want to know about a deposit extension? Gap year policies? Financial aid reconsideration? Fall plans for course delivery? It’s all on the table, so ASK YOUR QUESTIONS!

3 Likes

Those two points seem at odds with each other-- colleges really need you, but also you’re likely to get waitlisted and not come off the waitlist. I guess he is differentiating between selective and non-selective colleges.

1 Like

Any insight on Pamplin, the business school? I think it used to be a top 50 undergraduate business school on US News but it seems it’s no longer ranked.

Years ago Pamplin was ranked as a top 50 undergrad business school on US News but I don’t see any recent rankings. Poets & Quants also doesn’t rank Pamplin.

My son is an Accounting/finance junior. He’s been happy with everything, although I wasn’t thrilled that most of his online synchronous classes this semester decided to instead be asynchronous (profs seem to be able to do whatever they want). They seem to have a lot of great recruiting opportunities, including a huge job fair in the fall and spring.

1 Like

It’s ranked, I can see it, at 38th, it may be one of those you have to pay to see.

US News = 38
Niche = 45
P&Q = NR (seems to imply not in top 100 in their view)
Professor research publications = 72 (from UTD Jindal)

Or whether full pay kids are the ones more likely to come off the waitlists. I think that is when need blind goes out the window.

I don’t see this for US News? Maybe you do have to pay to see undergraduate business ranking. I see Pamplin “unranked” on US news list of best graduate business schools except ranked at #19 for part time MBA.

1 Like

Yes, it appears you have to pay for Compass to see the undergraduate department/school rankings for US News.

Anyone accepted Undecided Science?

One of my D’s classmate is admitted but only with 8K scholarship + 5.5K loan. He is OOS, so will there be more scholarship? He did FAFSA so there is the 5.5K loan.

8k scholarship is about the max I have heard of. Very few OOS kids get that much, there was someone else who had 9k.

We received 3K (as did a number of others) for OOS, and that is with very high grades and strong SAT scores. So your D’s classmate did very well to get 8K.

The 5.5k loan is what everyone gets from the federal government.