Virginia Tech - Financial Aid

@feebfrances nope no link to a calculator. I just have two links next to my “offered admission” post. Do you have two links also? I have one called “Financial Award Information” and the other is “Financial Aid Shopping Sheet.” It stinks that UVA has a bigger pool of money than VT…both are GREAT schools :confused: I wish VT had a policy like UVA’s but I guess they can’t all be the same. Thank you though really for all the information! I really appreciate them :slight_smile:

UVa primarily offers need based aid. You may or may not have gotten any more money from UVa. Both UVa and VT would probably want your family to meet the EFC with a combination of things like loans and work study as well as money from you and your parents. If you need to reduce costs, you could start at a community college and then transfer after a couple of years to complete your degree.

@sevmom I believe all of Tech’s aid is federal need based grants and loans (even though it isn’t a lot) too. I can’t speak for the other two posters but my family would fall probably under the income guidelines for UVA’s need. I’m not too familiar with it, but from research I know that their access programs and bigger pool of money allow UVA to give a lot need based aid and limit the amount of loans for students under a certain income, but Tech only gives things like the Pell, grants from Virginia, work study and loans.

Community college is a good option, but it was only recommended to me by my counselor as a “last resort” since I will have between 21-30 AP credits depending on where I go and it would require a major purchase that my family can’t currently afford - a car. I’m still waiting on other places for financial aid packages so there may be a possibility for an affordable option, but VT is pretty amazing for Engineering so I’m really hoping it will work out. I’m not completely ruling out any college just yet though.

feebfrances, did I read correctly that you will have the $5500 loan in your aid package and you are still gapped $6000 for next year? Pffft. You have time to make that money! You don’t pay all that money at the beginning of the year. Start a part time job now and apply for some summer jobs. The best ones are already hiring now. My h.s. junior son already has a local government job. You might also consider having two summer jobs since no one wants to hire a teen for 40 hours. Last summer my son worked at just above minimum wage in June and July only and saved $3500. Get direct deposit and don’t spend what you earn until school starts. Sophomore year at VA Tech you can get an apartment with some roommates. A Tech mom just told me her daughter’s share of an apartment with a private room will be $300 a month. If you do a little math dorm rooms are costing $700+ a month. There’s savings in years 2-4 right there. Go to Tech. It makes no sense to go to CC if you have to buy/insure/repair/fuel a car. Good luck and I hope you can relax.

Hi, @peaches333‌ ! I think I had a similar problem to yours with the net price calculator when I was a student. I believe the net price calculator does not taken into account the amount of loans you will take out, just grants and scholarships. If your total aid of $17k includes loans, they will be subtracted from the COA too. Loans for freshmen total $5500, so if you subtract that from the net price, it will bring that down to $6.5k as well. I’m not sure if this is what happened to you but it’s a possibility!

@financiallylost‌ I’m going to ask a really stupid question, but if I take the loan, does that mean I have to pay it back with interest during the later years?? I’m sorry, I should know these things by now, but I still am not very familiar :confused: I/my family were really trying to avoid loans, but if we must, I guess we’ll just have to lower the cost! Thank you for the input :slight_smile:

For Federal Loans there are subsidized and unsubsidized. If you qualify you can get subsidized loans up to 3,500 and the government pays the interest on those while you are in school. For unsubsidized loans you pay the interest. For both types you can take out up to 5,500 combined the first year as a student. If your Parents apply for a Plus Loan and are denied you can take up to 9,500. You have to start repayment after you graduate, but there is a 6 month grace period.

If you choose not to pay the interest while you are in school and during grace periods periods, your interest will accrue (accumulate) and be capitalized (that is, your interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan).

Wow thank you @BrownParent‌ ! That really helped and I understand a whole lot better!! :slight_smile:

@peaches333‌ & @feebfrances‌ My aid right now is $16K (including Fed. loans, grants, and work study). My EFC is $1.4k. As of now, I am $9k shy of the cost. Am I supposed to pull this money out of my a$$? I haven’t figured out how I am supposed to pay? I love Tech, and my heart’s been set there since my freshman year. But, their financial aid is pretty $hitty. If I do take loans, $9K private + $5K Fed., I will have a debt of $14K my first year!. Holy Guacamoleee! I have absolutely no clue what to do.

I don’t wanna be an adult. I think I am just get in my sleeping bag, zip it up, and pretend I am a cocoon for rest of my life.