Virginia Tech or ASU

<p>Recently, I enrolled to Virginia Tech and plan on going here at this point. Ive been accepted into Unversity Studies, and I plan on transferring into the Engineering program by the Spring Semester, but im questioning if im making the first choice.</p>

<p>Since Ive been accepted to VT, I was really excited, but I was only offered $5500 in federal loans, so I'll have to take out a lot of private loans.</p>

<p>On the other hand, I've been accepted directly into ASUs Engineering program. It's about the same price as the VT costs, but I was offered $10,000 a year in Scholarships and Grants.</p>

<p>Am I making the right choice on which school to attend?</p>

<p>Im just worried I might either not do well in VT or the loans will be too overwhelming in years to come.</p>

<p>When looking at the costs you need to compare the total costs. Although the tuition looks similar, room and board seems higher at ASU (assuming you mean Arizona State here) So while a $10k award sounds great it may only net out to $6k. Either way it sounds like you would be taking on a lot of debt at both schools so you need to look for ways to cut that. Consider working on campus, being an RA etc. Certainly VT has a higher ranking for engineering but whether it is worth the extra $24-30k on cost only you can answer. The other factor is to consider how confident you are that you will be able to transfer into engineering and the degree of your choice at VT compared to ASU. Good Luck.</p>

<p>As a point of clarity-- when you say “$10,000 a year in scholarships”, I presume you mean you’re already guaranteed that money every year, correct? </p>

<p>I only bring this up because with VT you have to apply for scholarships/grants every year. On the flip side of this, this also means you have the opportunity to receive a yearly scholarship next year/jr year/sr year.</p>

<p>I’m not 100% sure it be guaranteed every year as they haven’t said, but I’m sure I could make that the case.</p>

<p>The $10,000 in award money is a $2000 University Grant and then an $8,000 Scholarship puts it up to $10,000.</p>

<p>I can apply for a bunch of VT scholarships after freshman year though?</p>

<p>Usually, the scholarships are contingent upon you maintaining a certain GPA. The details should have been outlined in your offer or financial aid letter.</p>

<p>I can apply for a bunch of VT scholarships after freshman year though?</p>

<hr>

<p>Yes. I’m not 100% sure on how all scholarships at VT work, but as far as I know the majority follow the rule below:</p>

<p>"General Information
General Scholarships are awarded through the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid.</p>

<p>Criteria for these scholarships vary and may include but are not limited to geographic location as defined by high school attended and/or city, county, or state of residence, academic achievement and financial need.</p>

<p>The amount of the scholarship will vary with the average range between $1500 and $3000 for an academic year. General Scholarship awards are one-time annual awards. Student must apply each year to be considered." [General</a> Scholarships | University Scholarships and Financial Aid | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.finaid.vt.edu/types_of_aid/scholarships/general/index.html]General”>http://www.finaid.vt.edu/types_of_aid/scholarships/general/index.html)</p>

<p>You may also want to take a look at grants on the lower left of the link I listed. </p>

<p>From my own personal experience, I received 2 scholarships Freshman year and a different one Sophomore year. VT has a strange way of giving out scholarships.</p>

<p>I will say you should sit down and figure out the full cost for this year/the future for both schools given the costs for each if you haven’t done so already.</p>