Virignia Tech Prestige to Increase

<p>With the opening of the new Medical School, VTech is going to be able to competitively win and recruit bright science students that it has lost in the past to other schools like W&M and UVA. In the Southeast, it wil now be able to draw more students away from places like Wake Forest and Emory.</p>

<p>A school that trains MDs has panache.</p>

<p>I definitely agree with what you have stated. I am going to be attending Virginia Tech this fall in the College of Science for biological sciences, and plan on attending medical school upon graduation. I was accepted into both Virginia Tech and UVA and chose Virginia Tech in a large part for that reason. Virginia Tech is also the top research university in Virginia, and I definitely plan on making research a large part of my life throughout my career.</p>

<p>While I am not one to embrace the word “prestige”, I agree with you that the addition of the new medical school has so many positives that hopefully will benefit the school, the Virginia Tech students and the people of SW Virginia. It will be interesting to see if having a new med school not only increases the school’s appeal for the brightest of science students, but also the faculty in their respective medical fields. I hope they are careful, though, with their growth. I just don’t want Tech to lose any part of what makes it such a great school!</p>

<p>To my knowledge W&M doesn’t have a medical school and UVA School of Medicine was established in 1819, and has consistently ranked in the top 20-25 medical schools in the nation. Virginia Tech’s Med School will have to build a name for itself for years and years to come in order to compete for the “same” quality students and researchers.</p>

<p>Frankly, I hope that the Virginia Tech medical school does establish itself as a strong, nationally recognized medical school in the next few years. Right now, there’s not a single medical school (with the exception of VCOM) in the whole state of Virginia west of Richmond. A strong Virginia Tech medical school will be good for that region and benefit everyone.</p>

<p>But at the same time, I think its important to keep things in perspective. The medical school is one thing but the entire university is another matter. Just getting a new medical school doesn’t boost up the prestige of a university the extent that the OP is stating that it will. It may have an effect on the university as a whole, but not in terms of recruiting undergraduates and improving the overall prestige of the university significantly. </p>

<p>Case in point: Until now, Virginia Tech hasn’t had a MD school but Marshall over on the other side of the border has. Does this mean that Marshall has been pulling stronger science undergrads than VT. I (and most in Virginia I’d suspect) would say no.</p>

<p>The key word for VT that will most likely be its med school’s ace in the hole is research. The emphasis on medical research (by both the faculty and their med school students) has been expressed strongly from the beginning. </p>

<p>Barq45 I have to respectfully disagree with just one of your points. Personally, I think they are onto something here. Adding a first class med school with its research emphasis ties right into what is causing VT to rise in academic credibility as seen by excellent science students (like JesseZ :)). It has a lot to offer kids who want to get their hands into “what’s next?” in the science fields. </p>

<p>It is quickly becoming a school that isn’t just for aspiring engineers any more and is being seen as distinguished research university on par with many others in the state.</p>

<p>“I am going to be attending Virginia Tech this fall in the College of Science for biological sciences, and plan on attending medical school upon graduation. I was accepted into both Virginia Tech and UVA and chose Virginia Tech in a large part for that reason.”</p>

<p>My advice to you is to wait and see how rigorous college is (especially all the pre-med requirements) and then make the determination of going to medical school. Hundreds upon hundreds of aspiring doctors go into college thinking that they will go to medical school upon graduation, the reality is that most of them are weeded out after their first year. </p>

<p>Your second point doesn’t make sense. You chose Tech over UVA because Tech just opened a brand new medical school? As as I have stated, UVA has a nationally renowned medical school and many pre-meds from UVA gain acceptance into the oldest and most renowned medical schools in the country (e.g. Yale, Chicago, Penn, Columbia, etc), so you choosing Tech over UVA purely based on those reasons don’t make any sense. </p>

<p>Another point I’d like to make is that most medical schools (the good ones) at least are all about research. In fact the US News Rankings has two separate lists, a rankings for research and another for primary care. And as barq45 has stated, opening a new medical school (is it accredited yet?), should not really change Tech’s prestige among high schoolers as the Tech they would apply to does not operate in conjunction with Tech Med.</p>

<p>Yes it is accredited:</p>

<p>[Virginia</a> Tech Carilion School of Medicine receives certification from State Council of Higher Education for Virginia | Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute](<a href=“http://www.vtc.vt.edu/about/newsroom/releases/2009-07-20_schev_certification.html]Virginia”>http://www.vtc.vt.edu/about/newsroom/releases/2009-07-20_schev_certification.html)</p>

<p>wahoomb, you are right…the best med schools pride themselves in being involved with cutting edge of research. Regarding The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research (the name kind of gives it away doesn’t it?) , they are placing a great deal of their efforts into tying together the strengths of the UG and Grad research done on VT’s campus in the sciences and engineering areas with what is done at the med school. I cut and pasted from the VTCS website for you and others who may be interested to see:</p>

<p>From this link:
[About</a> VTC | Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute](<a href=“http://www.vtc.vt.edu/about/index.html]About”>http://www.vtc.vt.edu/about/index.html)</p>

<p>Unique Public-Private Partnership
Learn more about the partners, Virginia Tech and Carilion Clinic.
Collectively called Virginia Tech Carilion (VTC), the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute will leverage Virginia Tech’s world-class strength in basic sciences, bioinformatics, and engineering with Carilion Clinic’s highly experienced medical staff and rich history in medical education. Virginia Tech Carilion will improve human health and quality of life by providing leadership in medical education and biomedical and clinical research.</p>

<p>Educating Today’s Physician
Utilizing an innovative patient-centered curriculum, the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM) will address the increasing need for research-competent physicians who can translate research from the bench to the bedside and into the community. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine will also ameliorate some of the physician shortage that has been identified as a priority by the American Association of Medical Colleges and the American Medical Association.</p>

<p>Conducting Today’s Research
Research conducted at the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute (VTCRI) creates a bridge between basic science research at Virginia Tech and clinical expertise at Carilion Clinic and increases translational research opportunities for both partners. Research conducted by scientists at the institute is aimed at understanding the molecular basis for health and disease, and development of diagnostic tools, treatments, and therapies that will contribute to the prevention and solution of existing and emerging problems in contemporary medicine. Research areas of emphasis which presently align with areas of strength and active research at Virginia Tech include inflammation, infectious disease, neuroscience, and cardiovascular science and cardiology.</p>

<p>As Barq45 stated, this is going to be a huge asset for the area. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize that any kid who wants to go on to med school or any other science field would benefit themselves greatly by going to a school strong in the sciences and research. Whether it is WM, UVA or VT, they couldn’t go wrong.</p>

<p>agreed :slight_smile: ten-char</p>

<p>wahoomb, I realize now that perhaps I was a bit unclear in the message I posted in response to the first post. I did not intend to state that the new medical school was the one and only deciding factor for my college choice. As an undergraduate student, one must first decide on a college based on the experience they will have in those first four years. I have long been leaning toward Virginia Tech because of its outstanding reputation for scientific research at all levels and the many opportunities one can receive as far as undergraduate research is concerned. I realize UVA and many other universities offer such opportunities, but for somebody who is serious about research, the top research university in the state must not be overlooked, even if perhaps they afterward decide for some reason or another to go elsewhere. As far as I am concerned, after weighing the options of both Virginia Tech and UVA, I decided the experience I could receive from Virginia Tech far outweighed the option of attending UVA for no reason other than for its more “prestigious” reputation. The establishment of the new medical school solidified my decision even more so, for it shows further Virginia Tech’s dedication to scientific research and medicine, which I HOPE to make my career. </p>

<p>I in no way take it for granted that just because I want something, because something is my ultimate goal, that I am guaranteed the end I desire. I know right now only that this is my goal, and I will do the best I can to succeed. Many people are indeed weeded out in the process, but I highly doubt that many of those who have become doctors became so without early on having a goal in mind.</p>

<p>To me it makes much more “sense” to attend Virginia Tech for the reasons I previously stated, just as it would seemingly not make “sense” for someone who was accepted into both Virginia Tech and UVA to pick Virginia Tech for the sole reason that they intended to major in the liberal arts.</p>

<p>Both schools offer a great education, and I have done what I believe to be best for me. Given the direction Virginia Tech is heading, I am lead to believe more and more students will make similar decisions. The “prestige,” beneficial attributes, attractiveness, or what have you, of Virginia Tech in my opinion can only go up given the circumstances.</p>

<p>This is a great development for Virginia Tech and for the state of Virginia in general. However, my guess is that the medical school will primarily serve to train doctors for southwest Virginia, not to be a research powerhouse. I also don’t see the medical school substantially improving VPI’s “prestige” relative to other major research universities. MCV hasn’t done much for VCU in that regard.</p>

<p>JesseZ: can you provide links to evidence that VPI is the state’s top research institution? I’m well aware of its engineering program and the massive amounts of research it produces (surely larger than what comes out of UVa), but I don’t believe the other departments at VPI have an edge on or are even competitive with those at UVa. I’m also curious to know why you wouldn’t choose to attend a school with more talented and ambitious undergraduates, if you have such lofty academic goals and all.</p>

<p>I am going to help JesseZ out here with a few links with information that support her belief that VT is a well-regarded research institution. Cavalier302, please let’s not make this a UVA vs. VT argument. They are both tremendous institutions and both are doing some fine research. The National Science Foundation is where most of the statistics below come from. VT’s sheer size (and therefore total research expenditure) as well as its science, engineering and technology focus drive the numbers. </p>

<p>[nsf.gov</a> - SRS Universities Report Continued Decline in Real Federal S&E R&D Funding in FY 2007 - US National Science Foundation (NSF)](<a href=“http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf08320/]nsf.gov”>Archive Goodbye | NCSES | NSF)</p>

<p>[Top</a> 50 Res Univ VH fy07](<a href=“http://www.ir.vt.edu/Rankings/research_ext_fy2007.htm]Top”>http://www.ir.vt.edu/Rankings/research_ext_fy2007.htm)</p>

<p>[Virginia</a> Polytechnic Institute and State University ? Virginia Economic Development Partnership](<a href=“http://www.yesvirginia.org/WhyVirginia/education_system/business_resources/Public_Colleges_and_Universities/VT.aspx]Virginia”>http://www.yesvirginia.org/WhyVirginia/education_system/business_resources/Public_Colleges_and_Universities/VT.aspx)</p>

<p>[News</a> Story | Virginia Tech News | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2008&itemno=516]News”>http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2008&itemno=516)</p>

<p>One more thought, cavalier302, unfortunately. As I read the last sentence in your post, and reflected on the attitude that lies behind it, it made me recall the exact reason my kid chose to go to VT instead of UVA. Call me crazy, but I think there are some pretty ambitious and talented Hokies, too!</p>

<p>Last one- It was bugging me- knew there had to be a NSF research and expenditures comparison of schools in each state-publics and privates. Here is the link to Table 28 for Virginia. It is on page 80 and 81:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf09303/pdf/nsf09303.pdf[/url]”>http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf09303/pdf/nsf09303.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Again, this report (nor any other) should convey superiority by any one school over another. Every school should be proud of what it accomplishes in whatever realm. The opportunities are there for the taking!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Some VT students feel uncomfortable sitting on the chairs provided in UVA classrooms due to the hole that UVA has placed in the middle to accommodate the stick which is apparently planted inside their rectums.</p>

<p>Kandksmom, thanks for your always balanced and well supported opinion.
Chuy, you made me ROTFL!</p>

<p>Chuy, way too funny.</p>

<p>Seriously Cavalier302, quit ■■■■■■■■. How does it feel knowing that our inferior students chimed in with almost $700 more than UVA students as far as average starting salary goes? You have nothing constructive to offer here, and your ■■■■■■■■ habits speak to your immaturity and insecurities. Your attitude is worthless in the real world. Please do not post here anymore.</p>

<p>Cavalier 302, while you were seemingly searching for the abundance of talent on the UVA campus, it seems as though you forgot to read my post.</p>

<p>“I’m also curious to know why you wouldn’t choose to attend a school with more talented and ambitious undergraduates, if you have such lofty academic goals and all.” -Cavalier302</p>

<p>As I stated in my post, I made my college decision based on what is best for me. I realize others base their decisions solely on what effect it will have on others, but I must sadden you to make it known I am not one of the Peter Keating’s of the world. It is obvious, given my “lofty academic goals,” that Virginia Tech is the best university for me. Early on, with regards to the decision between the two schools, before I looked in-depth into both schools, both Virginia Tech and UVA were just about as equal as they could have been in my mind. Like I said, I would have been at UVA in a heartbeat if my “lofty academic goals” included the liberal arts or submersing myself in the European culture Mr. Jefferson was infatuated with. It is clear to me Virginia Tech better suits me and my “lofty academic goals.” That is why I am a Hokie.</p>

<p>I ultimately made my decision, as I have said multiple times now, based on myself and which university is best for me. I hope every student makes their decisions based on what is best for them. If they do that, wherever they end up should be the right place.</p>

<p>“How does it feel knowing that our inferior students chimed in with almost $700 more than UVA students as far as average starting salary goes?”</p>

<p>Most students who graduate from UVA go on to get their PhDs, JDs and MDs from top universities, volunteer for the Peace Corp (#1 school to the Peace Corps), get recruited by Teach for America (the seventh-highest feeding school), get Fulbright scholarships and become Rhodes Scholars (#1 public university to produce Rhodes Scholars). Tech undergrads get jobs in the private sector. It would be a shock if UVA came out ahead. Of course that flawed ranking didn’t take any of this into account. </p>

<p>It’s quite pathetic that Tech students trained in the sciences by and large only make $700 more than UVA students, where we study philosophy, american studies and Swahili. </p>

<p>Those from UVA who do get jobs like our English Lit majors make $700 less a year than your chemical engineers. What a shame~</p>