Visit With a Curve Ball

I visited the University of Alabama this past spring and fell in love. The only bad part was that we were rushed and didn’t have a ton of time in Tuscaloosa. My family and I decided that we wanted to go back this fall and started to look for the “perfect” long weekend. To make a long story short, the weekend that works best for us Alabama also really liked too- it’s their homecoming weekend. Go figure! Don’t get me wrong it will be a really fun time, BUT we are anticipating some major logical problems. Does anyone have any suggestions for making the most out of the weekend? We will on Saturday will leave Tuesday.

Well, for one thing, you probably will not be able to find any decent lodging for that Saturday night, and what you will find with be horribly expensive. Likely anything available now would be the fleabag motels for Saturday night…and those will also have high rates…their rates will so high that you might wrongly assume that they must be “ok”, but they won’t be ok.

So, I would suggest this: Either arrive SUNDAY …or …Stay in Birmingham for Saturday night, and then stay in Tuscaloosa for Sunday and Monday nights.

Believe me, it will be too insane for you to find something reasonable for Saturday night. I own 3 VRBO condos in Tuscaloosa and Friday and Saturday nights booked 6-12 months ago. Sunday and the rest of the week are available at many lodging venues, but that Fri and Sat nights are long booked at anything decent.

Everybody’s rates will go back to normal on Sunday night, and availability will be easier.

What time are you arriving in Alabama on Saturday? Can you stay in B’ham on Sat night?

Ok that makes sense! We are actually driving down from Illinois Friday night. My dad plans to stop some where an hour or so away and then come the rest of the way early Saturday morning. We actually stayed in Birmingham the last time we came down- when my dad went to book the hotel, he thought that the university was in Birmingham haha! I am fairly certain that my parents will be happy to stay in Birmingham on Sat. considering rates will be better and the rooms will be cleaner. This time staying in Birmingham won’t be a mistake! If I remember correctly Birmingham is 45 minutes from Tuscaloosa right?

Yes, the Birmingham area is roughly 45 minutes from T-Town. We’ve stayed in Bessemer for a game-day weekend and it’s an easy drive. Folks also stay in Hoover. It’s best of both worlds in some respects - you’ll have more normally priced lodging there but still be within a reasonable distance to drive to Tuscaloosa and enjoy the gameday experience. You’ll want to time your comings and goings well, though, because traffic can be a nightmare at certain times on gameday. When I stayed in Bessemer we drove into Tuscaloosa hours before the game and then waited a few hours after the game before getting back on the highway. We parked for free in the intermodal garage downtown and walked to campus. It’s not a long walk, but I think there’s a shuttle, too.

Since this family will be in Alabama for Sat, Sun, and Mon nights, only the Sat night would be a Game Day problem. No reason to stay all 3 nights in B’ham, which would be a 60 minute drive each way.

The family could spend Sat night in B’ham, and then spend Sun and Mon nights in Tuscaloosa…a lot less driving back and forth.

Yes, if you don’t mind staying in Birmingham homecoming is a wonderful time to visit! The only problem would be scheduling a tour, but if you can do it on Monday you should be fine.