VT Engineering Acceptance chances

Hello!
I have 3.37 gpa and a superscored 1310, math 650, and English 660. I am taking regular calculus this year, but I am taking a few other AP’s including computer science. I am also doing an independent study in architectural engineering this year. I am planning to apply ED to VT Engineering. What do you think my chances are?

Where are you from?

Gpa and math are on the low end. You have a shot, which is all anyone can really say

I am from Virginia

What part of Virginia, though? Southwest, Northern Virginia, Western?

Regardless of what part of Virginia, based on GPA/SAT scores alone, it might be a stretch given these put you below the average. However, there are other subjective factors that are weighed in. Best of luck, make sure to have plenty of back ups as admission competition continues to increase.

https://irweb.ir.vt.edu/webtest/admission_data.aspx

I live in Richmond, Virginia. I really appreciate all of your help!

My guess is that you will be deferred to the Regular Decision pool. Then you’ll have to wait. And unfortunately your chances get lower with the larger pool. Remember that if they don’t think you are right for engineering, they will reject you outright. You might want to consider a different major. Best of luck!

My advice is, get yourself psyched up for three colleges and realize that you’ll be blessed to go to any of them. VCU, GMU and ODU all have engineering programs. My senior is applying to VT - not for engineering - and is on the lower end of the VT bell curve for grades and GPA. It simply means VT is a reach but not impossible. My coworkers’ daughter got into Penn this past year and was in the lower end of the bell curve. That all being said, apply to VT - get excited about it - but at the same time VT isn’t the only engineering school. We have visited all the Virginia schools and there are SO MANY to get excited about. If engineering is what you want, you’ll get it if you are willing to keep your mind open to mulitple Virginia schools.

@crew24ag There are students who get selected to engineering on the low end. I am not sure if you have attended an engineering open house but you have a shot to get into the engineering program. You may have to go to a summer program but it’s not impossible. While this site is helpful it can make you feel like you don’t have a shot at most schools if you don’t have a 1400 or above ACT and a 4.2 GPA. I can tell you if you are a minority you stand a great chance of getting in with your stats. It’s funny because people will say your math score is low but for 2017 the lowest math score accepted was a 580.

@AnneShirley In reference to yours I can tell you point blank I was told by a school employee VT is focusing more on the essays than grades and test scores. Apparently they started that this past year and said they saw plenty of students get accepted with SAT scores under 1000. I am pretty sure it was not for those going into engineering.

Slim, no matter what part of VA you’re from.