VT ROTC to pay for college

<p>I am considering joining ROTC primarily to receive some financial help. I just wanted to know more information about it. If i decided to go with the civilian track will i still recieve full coverage of tuition? How much of a time commitment is it? If i decided to go to medical school how ill ROTC help me? Thank you.</p>

<p>The ROTC scholarships are competitive, even more so with force drawdowns on the way. There are different programs for medical school, but the bottom line with any military assistance - it’s always in exchange for some years of service. That’s what you have to think about.</p>

<p>I’m not 100%, but i am pretty sure you cannot go the civilian ROTC track on and ROTC scholarship. If you take an Army ROTC scholarship, you are obligated to 8 years of service, at least 4 years of active duty. The army isn’t going to pay your way through college for you to not join in the end. If you are content with serving, then the army can give you a ton of money to pursue your medical school hopes, but they will expect you to serve several years.</p>

<p>Civilian track cadets do not participate in ROTC and receive no funding from the military for school, although they are full members of the VT Corps of Cadets. Furthermore, only ROTC cadets who have some form of ROTC scholarship get funding for school - some scholarships are given to entering freshmen, others to students already in the program.</p>

<p>Your best option is to contact the ROTC detachments at Virginia Tech as they can better explain the different programs. Competition for scholarships is tough right now given the economy and budget cutbacks. If you are considering VT for Fall 2012 you need to get on this now - the 2012 ROTC scholarship application has already begun (or will very soon) and the sooner you get your application in the better chance you have of getting funding.</p>