Wash Post Article: Roe vs. Wade decision impacts college decisions

Not true. 27 states allow absentee for any reason, and 8 states are entirely vote by mail. All remaining 15 states allow absentee for anyone out of the district on election day.

But note, even if it was true, it’s the college student’s home state that is doing the disenfranchising.

I wouldn’t count on this in all states. And regardless if it’s the student’s home state responsible for disenfranchising them, no one should be disenfranchised because they are away for school. Nothing should bar someone from registering to vote because they will only live in a location for four years.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s bad or good to vote where you are going to college.

I think it’s good to vote. Period.

I started voting, the presidential election of 1980. I remember going to the polls from my dorm with my new friends. Since I started voting, it’s been a lifelong habit to vote.

So wherever you vote or however you vote, the most important thing is to vote!

16 Likes

How much would the voter rolls in ME and FL shrink if this were a criterion for registering to vote?

Indeed, since young people are more likely to have to live for longer with the effects of elections, that could be an argument that their votes should be more valued and encouraged.

3 Likes

It is still early days, but clearly there will be many unforeseen and devastating consequences from the stripping of reproductive rights in both states affected and not affected by the overturning of Roe.

One of these areas is mental health. After all, what is the message we’re sending to our young adults about their role and value in society? For example, somehow you’re supposed to aspire to run a Fortune 500 company when you can’t even control your own reproductive care?

Perhaps it should be self-evident that our laws impact our mental health, but here’s a recent study that perhaps gives a bit of insight into what we as a country should expect (in the reverse) when our kids internalize how they aren’t protected by these newly enacted laws:

“When states enact hate crime laws that protect LGBTQ populations, the rate of suicide attempts among high school students drops significantly, and not just among sexual and gender minority students, but among heterosexual students as well, according to research published by the American Psychological Association.”

13 Likes

Careful where you choose to register to vote. Some counties are draconian when it comes to a jury duty summons.

Neither of my kids registered in their college communities (although both were in State). One county was so well known for having a ‘no-excuses’ policy when it came to a summons that is was pretty much suggested to not register there. Got finals, too bad. Home for the summer- to bad.

OTOH, our home county is beyond lax. I panicked when first kiddle got a summons while in their freshman year. Went down to the court house. the bailiff told me - and I kid you not - just throw it away. I didn’t do that but I did send it back with a ‘not residing at this address’ notation.

And on the second other hand…our local college community votes heavily in their town. By the time the effects of their votes are put in place, they are long gone.

2 Likes

This.

1 Like

Few political issues cannot be couched in terms of non-political. Doesn’t make them non-political to me. And please note, I said "to me. " Different people will have different views on that.

1 Like

Depends. Would need to look at each one individually. Not interested in doing that right now though. But the more its certain its temporary, the less likely I would allow voter registration.

1 Like

Well, if you’re going to use “the vote of those that can live longer should be valued more,” then we can get way off tangent with that one. :smile:

1 Like

The NCSL has been around a long time and is non-partisan. Yes, they could mis-count one or two states, but they are usually accurate. If NCSL says Absentee ballots are available to anyone who is out of district on election day (in those 15 states), AND they quote the section of the respective state code, are you suggesting that they are wrong? Do you have an example of a home state that restricts bars a college student from voting absentee?

“Nothing should bar someone from registering to vote because they will only live in a location for four years.”

States are allowed to have different rules for registering to vote. Some make it very easy for college students to vote locally and others only want domiciled residents to vote. It’s that ‘laboratory of democracy’ thingy. But again, they could vote absentee in their home state.

3 Likes

There are lots of reasons why college students might want to register to vote from their new location, maybe their parents sell the family home and they have no permanent address, who knows. Barring them from voting in their college town because they are only there for four years makes no sense.

8 Likes

My statement about being around people who share the same views goes well beyond the subject of this thread. I see it a lot on this board with a host of issues (and really it goes to much of everything for many people). Wouldn’t expect it from a site dedicated to higher education but again different strokes for different folks.

1 Like

I have already expressed my view on what this thread is about. Not surprisingly, it differs from you what you and others feel its about.

In something of an ironic twist, I think this board has become too political for me to stay around. Lost a good number of friends in the past year or so who stopped coming her for similar reasons. Guess they were right. No doubt you will have no issues finding people who think the same way here.

2 Likes

Currently, the talk around my area is wondering how long politicians are going to keep trying to restrict abortion now that Kansas results have been seen. Generally, politicians won’t champion an issue that is likely to get them out of or never into office - and they are quite willing to sign onto “whatever” that will win them more votes.

It might take until after Nov 22 elections, but it’s possible fewer people will need to worry about college location choices if enough politicians no longer want to change anything in order to keep their jobs.

In my area, our governor race went from a toss up to a big blue lead post Dobbs - and abortion is being touted big on both sides, with no/no exceptions on the red side. Will they stay that way knowing a loss is likely or will they want a chance to win if they switch, and if not this election, what about the next one in line?

For those looking who care, I wouldn’t cross schools in PA off at this point.

3 Likes

There is something very ironic in anyone championing the benefits of being surrounded by differing viewpoints who then muses about leaving a discussion board because the viewpoints on it differed so drastically from theirs. Medice, cura te ipsum.

16 Likes

It’s all Greek to me. :rofl:

7 Likes

Sounds like it was inevitable. Sorry to see you go. I’ve always liked your screenname.

1 Like

I am not sure about this - to me it seems all about how the issue is framed. If it came down to voting for R over D, I know a great many pro-choice people who vote R (but have reproductive choice). Now that Roe is gone, they would still vote R (just as in Kansas) but also vote for abortion rights if that was a separate vote.

Different hypothetical - if I were a Californian, I would have voted against Prop? for affirmative action but kept voting D. Does that make sense?

It’s difficult to find a political party/candidate who completely aligns with one’s view.

1 Like

I think you are right, but I also think that for a percentage of people (lets say 3-5%), the issue of abortion rights is so paramount that it causes one to flip political parties (or where students choose to go to school). That could be a problem in states with a small majority.

1 Like