Wash Post Article: Roe vs. Wade decision impacts college decisions

Rice seems to be quite popular among Asian and Asian Americans, at least in comparison to

MIT - 25%
Carnegie Mellon - 28%
Georgia Tech - 19%
Cooper Union - 29%

but, what is your point? That Asians don’t care about abortion rights as much as other groups?

2 Likes

Rice is very STEM focussed. The schools with the highest percentage of Asian kids are STEM schools. Rice is 40% Asian. CalTech is 44% Asian. The exceptions would probably be the top UC schools (ie Berkely/UCLA etc)

I believe that kids who want to specialize in STEM majors will continue to choose Rice regardless of Texas abortion laws.

Im not here to debate with you on my opinions. If I passed them off as facts, Ill restate right now, these are my opinions on what I think will happen.

It will be self evident next year. Even assuming Rice loses a few thousand applicants, I dont think the student profile will change much at all.

I know some posters here want to believe (based on their political views) there will be tsunami of students who will ditch red state colleges.

I unequivocally believe that will be FALSE for the top Texas schools.

5 Likes

Got it. Just seems odd that an entire university’s future should be tied to the fact that it is a favorite destination for one ethnic/race/religion.

2 Likes

I think that we will just have to see if schools in states that restrict women’s reproductive rights will suffer in this admission cycle.

A school that I’m interested in is Case Western Reserve. That’s a STEM heavy school that is a safety for those interested in a Rice or Lehigh or CMU. (I’m betting that the fine voters in PA will vote for the choice candidate)

Will they have a heavy lift to attract those women interested in STEM?

Rose-Hulman is a school that recruits hard for its female students. It looks as if Indiana will restrict choice and I wonder how that will affect their ability to attract students.

It’s a very complicated situation that we won’t know until after this admission cycle.

4 Likes

I suppose it makes sense that racial and ethnic groups which have extraordinarily low abortion rates won’t be as affected by local abortion laws as others… I guess the same is true for certain religious students who wouldn’t ever partake of choice in the matter.

1 Like

Food for thought:
Asians born in U.S. have higher rate of abortions than Asian immigrants. What that means. (nbcnews.com)

Well, yes. And Asian-Americans in Texas have very, very low abortion rates compared to their population percentage.

Not to be picky, but I thought we were discussing OOS applicants?

1 Like

Well, it looks like Asian-Americans in NYS also have very low abortion rates. I didnt find national figures,but do not have time to look. I would expect that trend would hold nationally as well.

Is Texas the only state in the Union? Is Rice the only university in the State of Texas? :grimacing:

5 Likes

For some, people may view Texas as a bellweather red state. It’s by far the largest.

Rice is not the only school in Texas. It’s the most prestigious. Ive mentioned in my previous responses the other major Texas schools.

University of Texas: 6% auto admit but used to be 10% auto admit. They are way over-subscribed in-state and OOS. OOS is extremely difficult especially for the most popular majors. CS, McCombs business, Engineering are top notch and a high reach for almost anyone.

Texas A&M: Reputation is conservative. Many UT folks think of them as a “cult”. Doubt a bunch of liberal OOS kids are knocking down their door.

SMU: White/Greek/BMW/rich kid reputation.

Baylor: Baptist school. Enough said.

Texas Tech: OOS kids arent flocking to go to Lubbock.

There are other many other schools but these are some of the main ones.

1 Like

Maybe, but how about Florida, Ohio, Indiana, PA, etc.?

As I mentioned upthread, I’d speculate that OOS admissions at Texas schools is a relatively small number in comparison to in-state admissions. Any drop in apps will likely get “lost in the shuffle” in Texas college system, with the possible exception of Rice, since they do have higher OOS admissions.

So, IMO, I don’t consider Texas a “bellweather red state” in terms of any drops in OOS apps due to their abortion laws/ban. Heck, my D’s HS here in CA rarely sends anyone to a southern school period.

The rates for Asians as a whole are pretty close to the rates for whites. The trick is in finding studies that bracket out Asians born in America from Asians who have arrived from other countries. I think once you control for country of origin, the differences between white women and Asian American women are negligible:

2 Likes

Interesting. There was also another study I saw in nyc that found wide disparity between Indian Americans and Chinese Americans - Indian Americans 3 or 4 fold as likely to have abortions.

Never mind - i think we are looking at the same study.

Some studies about women don’t have the age brackets handy.

1 Like

Could you provide your source for this claim? Also, could you provide a source for your claim above that Asian women have “an extraordinarily low abortion rate” generally? I haven’t been able to find any such statistics.

The NYC study above notes that while the overall abortion rate for Asian women is 12.2 per 1000, the abortion for rate for US born Asian women was 15.7 per 1000. For comparison, the abortion rate for non-Hispanic white women was also 15.7 per 1000.

And regardless of the exact percentages, I think it more than a stretch to suggest that Asian women are significantly less concerned about access to adequate reproductive healthcare than are others.

Likewise regarding the strange assumption made by some posters about STEM majors.

(And while certain religious faiths may adamantly oppose abortion, 24% of abortions are performed Catholics, 13% on Evangelical Protestants, and 17% on other Protestants.) People of All Religions Use Birth Control and Have Abortions

3 Likes

It could impact UF. UF is extremely proud of their Top 5 public university US News ranking. Their admission standards are also the same in state as OOS.

I assume they get a ton of really good kids from OOS to help support that ranking. It could impact them more than others.

PA? Maybe Swarthmore? UPenn? I could see it affecting a LAC more and maybe someone who was picking UPenn will go somewhere else.

Abortion statistics in Texas.

https://www.hhs.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2022-itop-selected-characteristics.xlsx

Eyeballing. Asians more likely to get abortions than whites but not broken out by age.

But Asians also less fertile so more abortions/pregnancies?

OTOH, Asians have fewer teen pregnancies but that doesn’t track perfectly.

2 Likes

Interestingly, Asian people seem to be more likely than White, Black, or Hispanic people to want to have abortion be legal in all or most cases, according to Public Opinion on Abortion | Pew Research Center .

However, how influential that is in political acts like voting or consideration of abortion laws when going to college is not necessarily obvious, since these kinds of surveys do not distinguish between those for whom abortion issues are top priority versus those for whom abortion issues are much lower priority.

2 Likes

This is why I dont think Top Asian STEM kids will shy away from a prestigious university like Rice even if they are pro-choice. There is some research cited in the articles. This is all pre-Supreme Court ruling.

Will the abortion rights issue supercede the wants and desires to attend a school like Rice? I dont think so but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like