Wash Post Article: Roe vs. Wade decision impacts college decisions

Um…we are Impossible Burger, GF, Dairy Free, Free Range, vegan fettuccine Alfredo eating people out here in CA. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m hoping things change by the time D25 goes to college, but right now I would not want her going to a school in a state where abortion is illegal. It tells me that the state does not treat women as equal to men. I would be concerned about her medical care in general and her safety as someone who is LGBTQ. Frankly, I want to move out of our state now but the rest of the family Is not on board.

16 Likes

Also, if you have a narrow focus/major and apply to many states you could easily find yourself with the best package in a state whose politics you don’t love. Maybe some parents and kids only apply to schools in states where their politics match the college’s location. My kid applied to the best programs and matches. Lots of choices, but you could easily leave out a large number of schools by having too many criteria. It’s interesting what people use to leave in/opt out. All good, just interesting.

The point too is that if Roe, a right that most everyone took for granted as something not going anywhere, can be taken away just like that, BC and plan B and C are not safe either. I wouldn’t want to find out a year into college that the right to BC is now gone as well in the state your kid is going to school

7 Likes

A young woman I know had a very much planned pregnancy end in a “missed” miscarriage. Because of the way the material implanted, and an untypically shaped uterus, she had to go through several medical and then surgical interventions (2 D and C’s) before all fetal material was gone. It was unbelievably traumatic. My points here are first, that this whole situation would be redflagged as possible abortion in the new rules in many states and second, that Plan B/C don’t necessarily work, needing an in-person procedure that would be banned in these states.

As said earlier, just having these medicines might not always be enough.

12 Likes

IUDs and Plan B could become illegal fairly soon in some states depending on how a state defines life. If they say life beings at fertilization, then Plan B and IUDs become abortion under that definition and would be legally banned.

In a state with those laws, would you trust your daughter’s roommates not to notice her Plan B and report it? What if they stand to collect a 10k bounty for reporting it?

22 Likes

Exactly. It’s not a matter of not agreeing with politics of a state. But not wanting your child to be in circumstances that could turn their whole life upside down. It’s sad that in addition to major, weather, cost, distance and all the other considerations parents have to make, this is another consideration.

23 Likes

NYC is incredibly safe compared to other large cities in the U.S. Yes, violent crime has gone up, but no, it’s still extremely low.

13 Likes

Yes, same with Seattle. It blows my mind that someone would say they’re fine with sending their kid to school in Memphis, but not comfortable sending them to school in Seattle, with a significant reason being crime. I just retired from a job in which I commuted or lived in Memphis for 26 years. It is one of the most dangerous and crime ridden cities in the US.

12 Likes

I just hope they don’t all come to California.

1 Like

This is what scares me the most. There are MANY women who need D&C’s or other care after a miscarriage and it is inevitable that some are going to die because that care is no longer “legal.” I don’t see how this is a “pro life” stance.

18 Likes

I’m generally pro life, but I don’t see how “no exceptions” is pro life at all. Who really thinks it’s fine for a 10 year old to carry a pregnancy to term? Who really thinks it does no harm to the lady who’s been raped to go ahead with the pregnancy if she doesn’t want to? And no harm due to the stigma of those within some churches to have an out of wedlock birth? And no harm when the offspring isn’t going to make it anyway due to medical issues it has?

I’m happy to see fewer pregnancies end in abortion throughout recent history in the US without the need to make it illegal, esp with no exceptions. I see no need to have changed the law. As I said, I’m pro-life. All life, not just those in the womb. When it comes down to a choice between the two, for whatever reason, it’s up to those involved, not me.

I fully understand this being a major consideration when choosing colleges or where to live in general. One never knows… Even being pro-life myself, I seriously doubt I’d continue a pregnancy that resulted from rape. Ditto if I knew the unborn were going to die anyway.

25 Likes

You might be confusing Plan B with Plan C? Plan B prevents ovulation (only if it has not already occurred). It does not eliminate a fertilized egg.

Plan B can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the womb. That’s not the primary mechanism, but it is a possibility and more than enough to make it a target of some politicians.

5. How does Plan B One-Step work?

Plan B One-Step works like other birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. The drug acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It may prevent a sperm from fertilizing the egg.

If fertilization does occur, Plan B One-Step may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb. If a fertilized egg is implanted prior to taking Plan B One-Step, the drug will not work and pregnancy proceeds normally.

1 Like

The Montana Constitution explicitly includes a right to privacy, so, for the time being, abortion is still protected in the state. The travel ban (which doesn’t include private family vacations, and excludes safety issues) is because of anti-LGBTQ laws. As for your suggestion that he flew private and that CA paid for his non-commercial travel, I’ve not seen any report of this. It seems to be an attenuated attempt to politicize the issue even further.

7 Likes

Communication directly from the office of the CA Governor. I’m not sure why he would try to politicize it further…but he’s been successful.

Four additional states already restrict abortion and are likely to have bans in effect soon:

Florida
Indiana
Montana
Nebraska

As I said, Mt has a Constitutional provision and the MT state Supreme Court has ruled that abortion is protected in Mt. So while the Mt legislature will likely pass legislation, it may not survive state constitutional scrutiny.

It is you who are politicizing it further by making an issue out of the fact that he went to visit his in-laws, and suggesting, without support, that the state of CA paid for his non-commercial travel.

7 Likes

State of CA paid for his security during his visit at a minimum.

There have been issues with doctors wondering if/when they can intervene with an etopic pregnancy. They are never viable, but at what point is the mother’s life truly in danger. Politicians should have no say in appropriate medical care.

19 Likes

But that’s part of the job benefits package.

Secret service or state police determine what they need to do to protect the official or the official’s family, and if that’s going somewhere that is controversial, that’s how it is. Private citizens from California can still choose to go to Florida or Oklahoma or Texas on their vacations and so can the governor. His security detail has to decide what protections he needs.

10 Likes