Wash Post Article: Roe vs. Wade decision impacts college decisions

Some people don’t like the governor of Ca no matter what he does.

10 Likes

People in general don’t like hypocrites.

6 Likes

Fair enough. No more abortive than typical BC, but I see how that’s still in jeopardy.

SC didn’t pass anything; S1373 was introduced by 3 SC senators in late June and is currently sitting in medical committee. They haven’t even started hearings; I don’t expect it to make it out of committee.

My daughters are already in college in a purple state. I will absolutely fly them home to NY for any type of medical care if there is any chance they could be pregnant. (They are both in long-term relationships. They are on the pill, but nothing is 100% effective.)

I just heard an interview with a woman who developed an eye condition triggered by pregnancy. Because her life wasn’t in danger, the hospital would not abort the pregnancy, and by the time she found a place that would, she had lost the sight in one eye.

In an emergency when my daughters couldn’t fly home, I worry that first responders or ER docs would waste time confirming they are not pregnant before administering any medication or treatment that could harm an embryo/fetus.

At least they are not in a state pushing for personhood from fertilization. That’s before implantation, when you can’t even test for pregnancy. Yet this organism, the developmental equivalent of an amoeba, might have rights over my daughter’s body?

S24 would like to consider schools in VA and NC, but he’s not sure how far they will go on this issue, and on academic freedom. I think my point of view is moderate. I believe a third trimester fetus is becoming a baby, and personally would not abort in most cases. However, I trust women and their doctors to make these incredibly hard choices for themselves without government intrusion.

11 Likes

I do wish that in the 50 years Roe v. Wade was on the legal books, that Congress had thought enough to pass legislation by going through this difficult information and determining a course of action and legislation to spell things out. Even if every state did end up voting on particulars at least there would have been discussion on a national level. Many countries have figured this out. Not all came up with the same course of action, but at least most have some kind of laws.
IMO, Congress abdicated their job.

9 Likes

It could affect the medical care they receive. If there were to be any issues down the road or even if they just wanted it checked, it could be an issue.

People keep suggesting this, but it seems to be more than a bit of deflection/gaslighting to me.

• First, had this been seriously attempted, then those opposed would have claimed that such attempts were unnecessarily politicizing the issue, since abortion was already protected. In fact this is exactly what is happening now with regard to current attempts to codify gay marriage; those opposed are claiming that it is already constitutionally protected and attacking those supporting as playing politics.
  • Second, with the existing senate filibuster rules, a minority of conservative states have always had the political power block any such legislative attempts. Again, see what is currently happening with attempts to codify gay marriage.
  • Third, as crazy as it may sound, there is no guarantee that this current hyper-conservative SC would even allow such a law to stand, under the guise of state’s rights.

In short, in my opinion, the claim that Congress should have or could have done something about this is being overplayed.

23 Likes

One of the poor girls in the OP article, and the girl’s counselor, are victims of the overbearing mother’s political views:

“Carissa Hawthorn said she tore into a list that a counselor suggested for her daughter Charlotte: “Tennessee? … That’s a no-go. … Ohio? No, thank you. … Louisiana? No, thank you. … St. Louis? I’m not giving money to a state that doesn’t think she’s an equal member of society.””

Sad.

My fear with Plan B , and many states going after it, is that if DD were to take it and have an issue, it could be “dangerous” to go to a doctor. Yes, there are very few complications or side effects, but my assumption is if you are one with complications/side effects, you best see a doctor. These bans made safe things less safe.

6 Likes

Don’t try, won’t get results.
Lots of possibilities you mentioned. I don’t really see any of them being central to the case. Could have gone any of 1,000 ways and if they tried in the 1970’s results might have been different than now. But the thing is, they never tried. And so, they failed.

1 Like

Even though a third trimester abortion is legal in several states, it is not available in many places at all. I’ve read many stories about women who had to have a third trimester abortion and had to travel to Boulder from Connecticut, NYC, Mass to get one because while it is legal in those states, there are no providers. The one in Boulder is not in an insurance network so it is very expensive to get one.

My daughter went to school in Wyoming and while abortion was legal there 3 months ago, it wasn’t available. She would have had to travel to Colorado (only 45 minutes to Fort Collins, and the college kids often travel that far to go to the movies or a concert). Her situation is the same today as it was 3 months ago.

I grew up in a college town in Wisconsin and was there in 1972 when abortion became legal. I don’t think at any time in the last 50 years abortion was available in that town (or the next, or 30 minutes north) because the hospitals in those towns are Catholic. You had to drive 2 hours to Madison or 3 to Milwaukee or 4 to Chicago. Perhaps the Plan C pills were available recently.

I’m curious if those of you ruling out colleges in states that don’t allow abortions are looking into whether those services are available within the community where the college is located, or if going to another state would be required (and perhaps closer). Over the years there have been a lot of parents who have to limit the schools their kids can look at because there are medical considerations (asthma, diabetes, need blood transfusions) and they have had to rule out some schools in rural areas or where the hospitals can’t provide the care needed. They haven’t rules out the whole state but certain colleges (Boston is great, Williams not so much). Is anyone concerned about this?

4 Likes

I agree. There are foreign countries I wouldn’t want my daughter to study in because she would not be treated equally. Just as I am not sending her to a country where she can’t drive or needs a man’s permission to engage in certain tasks, I’m not going to send my daughter to a state (even if it’s in this country) that will deny her reproductive health care.

10 Likes

And, as we’ve seen, those making these decisions don’t necessarily “science”. It doesn’t matter if it’s true. As long as they believe it (and they believe some whacky stuff) they will prevent it.

5 Likes

More gaslighting. In the 49 years since Roe, Congress has repeatedly tried to codify abortion rights/Roe, and those efforts have repeatedly been blocked by a minority of conservative states. It’s not hypothetical. It is a long and sad history of a minority of conservative states blocking Congressional attempts to protect women’s rights.

13 Likes

Might I remind members of the forum rules: “College Confidential forums exist to discuss college admission and other topics of interest. It is not a place for contentious debate. If you find yourself repeating talking points, it might be time to step away and do something else… If a thread starts to get heated, it might be closed or heavily moderated.”

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

The conversation is getting a little debate-y. I’d suggest focusing more on how recent events impact college applications and decisions rather than debating what Congress or state legislatures should have done or should do.

4 Likes

Do you know that the girl doesn’t share her mother’s views?

In general though, many parents control where their kids can go for all sorts of reasons. Some want/forbid religious schools. Some insist on Alma mater. Some insist upon an X hour away limit, and even stretching that by half an hour is too much. Some insist upon Top X in rankings. Some insist on cheapest even when something else is affordable.

But sometimes the student agrees with the parent… unless you know, it’s not exactly overbearing. Kids don’t always disagree with their parents.

21 Likes

I don’t think it’s sad at all. One of the only ways we have to show our displeasure with many unjust laws is how/where we spend out money.

We just came back from a tour of schools in “flyover” country. DS (yes, son, not even daughter) liked them all. While we are privileged to know that all of these schools are both academically and financially feasible for us, if we can help it, we won’t spend money that goes to finance things we don’t believe in. For example, we would not spend money at a private school that is not LGBTQ friendly. Nor will we spend money at a state school that is not woman-friendly. Of the schools we looked at only one was in an anti-abortion state (currently a 20 week ban with Gov attempting to instate a “heartbeat” law of 6 weeks). This is a public school with an OOS population of 44%. As our visits went well and we know we have many options, this one will be crossed off the list.

18 Likes

This is a very valid point.

From my perspective as a doctor, what matters more is whether abortion is legal in the state, not whether an abortion clinic is nearby in the state. This is because abortion care falls into 2 different camps: planned abortion, and emergency abortion. What I am most worried about is what if my daughter were to need emergency abortion? For example, let’s say she is diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy, but embryonic cardiac activity is still present. Or is bleeding heavily from a threatened miscarriage and needs a D&C, and yet there is still cardiac activity. EVERY obstetrician/gynecologist is trained in doing emergency abortions in these situations, but the new heartbeat laws now delay this care (my colleagues are reporting it is happening already.) Delay can be fatal. My mother-in-law’s life was saved by emergency intervention when she had an ectopic.

31 Likes