Wash Post Article: Roe vs. Wade decision impacts college decisions

This may become more common:

10 Likes

This.
Especially with regard to the pursuit of merit-aid which has less to do with ability to pay than willingness to pay. At least according to this article:
College financial aid: Itā€™s a sham that depends on what colleges think families will pay. (slate.com)

1 Like

Just had a talk with a group of rising college seniors yesterday. The one who is going to grad school crossed off Ohio State b/c of Roe.
fwiw.

8 Likes

Full pay students always have had the most choice and will continue to do so.

Iā€™m worried about those schools that depend on those full pay students. They will suffer.

Students and parents that donā€™t have as many options due to cost will have and have always had less options.

Schools such as Oberlin depend on out of state full pay students and schools such as that will really suffer if the students who have the most options, choose other schools. In applications and admissions.

Iā€™m sure a school such as Oberlin is working overtime trying to figure out how to attract the students they want to admit.

I admit Iā€™m using Oberlin as one such school. There are many others.

I grew up in Ohio, I consider myself an Ohioan. I never felt growing up or living there as an adult, for it to be the state that itā€™s become.

5 Likes

Financial aid and scholarships are basically an example of the economic concept of price discrimination at a very fine grained level, where colleges offer individual pricing based on what they believe each individual is able and willing to pay. This is not a new concept. Of course, the events that this thread is about could affect what some students are willing to pay for some colleges, so colleges may have to adjust their pricing schemes (i.e. financial aid and scholarship offerings) and marketing strategies to ensure sufficient yield and tuition yield in the future.

1 Like

I think you have a point there. So even if they donā€™t suffer a precipitous drop in applications, some red-state colleges may wind up paying in other ways for their home stateā€™s abortion policies.

5 Likes

Just for informational purposes, colleges that tend to be liberal as determined by various web searches (making a list as top 25 or top 50 most liberal) or or in N*cheā€™s top 125 most liberal schools (out of 847) that are located in abortion-banned states or abortion-at-risk states are:

• Oberlin (OH)
  • New College of Florida
  • Bryn Mawr (PA )
  • Swarthmore (PA )
  • Kenyon (OH)
  • Warren Wilson (NC)
  • Allegheny (PA )
  • Beloit (WI)
  • Denison (OH)
  • Rice (TX)
  • Loyola New Orleans (LA)
  • College of Wooster (OH)
  • Hendrix (AR)
  • Rollins (FL)
  • Davidson (NC)
  • U. of Pennsylvania
3 Likes

That doesnā€™t make sense. Especially, if most of those Americans are concentrated in three or four states (I donā€™t know that to be true, but letā€™s face it, North Dakota has just as many senators as New York under our Constitution.)

3 Likes

There are plenty of news articles out there that discuss why congress hasnā€™t been able to codify womenā€™s reproductive rights. You can easily google them
But they arenā€™t pertinent to this conversation and I respectfully ask that we keep it out of this discussion.

8 Likes

Kennedy wrote Obergefell

1 Like

Again, I respectfully ask for this discussion to stay about the conversation about college admissions. Please I really donā€™t want this shut down.

Iā€™m not flagging any of these posts but think about the TOS

7 Likes

Please keep the discussion at hand related to college admissions. Further treading into pure politics will result in flagged posts and removal of those posts.

2 Likes

This depends upon who our next Governor is as there isnā€™t expected to be much change in the house/senate. If one believes the polls, itā€™s a toss up race, meaning within the Margin of Error.

None of these three should be a worry to anyone due to their closeness to NJ. Allegheny would be a concern, but thatā€™s not super far from NY (state, not city). Google tells me it takes 2 1/4 hours to get to Buffalo - not sure what might be closer - I just picked a larger city.

3 Likes

dissent.
sorry

1 Like

Yes. The OP article said the girl had ā€œā€¦enduring curiosity about a certain university in a southern state with an abortion ban. ā€œYes. She is interested ā€¦ ugh,ā€ the mother wrote. ā€œWe would have to have long talk about it.ā€ā€

Lots of comments in the thread about red states. Pew polled people on the decision to overturn Roe, and separated the results into 4 state categories (% disagreeing with decision):

• Newly prohibited (52%)
  • Newly restricted (52%)
  • Allowed, future uncertain (53%)
  • Allowed, availability maintained / strengthened (65%)

The opinions are not that different. Iā€™m in deep red Kentucky, but I donā€™t know anyone that is eager to redirect already-strained police efforts toward tracking and prosecuting abortion seekers. It almost makes me think the coverage may be a bit biased. Which brings me to thisā€¦

Pew also polled journalists and found 69% of left-leaning journalists believe ā€œEvery side does not always deserve equal coverage.ā€ The echo chambering is not coming from a single group / viewpoint.

Good things are already happening. It seems interest in vasectomies has gone way up. Things will continue to happen and evolve.

You guys can do what you feel fits your situation, but I would say this to my family and friends: wait this out. Donā€™t hastily close off options. Consider solutions, what-ifs, etc. But mischaracterizing red states just muddies the waters. Recall that California voted against gay marriage in the not-too-distant past.

5 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more; Iā€™m not going to financially contribute to a state or a college in which people who do not look like my white, straight boy will have fewer human rights and more strife than he does. And my son adamantly feels the same way.

Ho-humming discrimination, bigotry, sexism, or basic human rights away as ā€œitā€™s just politicsā€ isnā€™t ok by me, Iā€™m not going to fund any place in which my kid would be ā€œmore equal than others.ā€

21 Likes