WashU Prof Keith Sawyer - “Educating for Innovation” on Thursday, October 7th at Bama

<p>CREATIVE CAMPUS TO HOST KEITH SAWYER</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa, AL—The University of Alabama’s Creative Campus is pleased to present collaboration expert, Keith Sawyer in a public lecture titled “Educating for Innovation” on Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 7:30 pm in room 127 of the Biology Building on the campus of The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Sawyer’s lecture will open with a performance by a UA jazz quartet and include interactive discussion about current cognitive research and the practical application of collaboration on group dynamics. Sawyer integrates scientific research to stake claim that collaborative creativity can be harnessed and learned as an art form that can influence business, science, engineering and life. Dr. R. Keith Sawyer, a professor of psychology and education at Washington University in St. Louis, is one of the country’s leading scientific experts on creativity. His research has been featured on CNN, Fox News, TIME Magazine, and other media. Sawyer will convey the principles of group flow with examples from improvised jazz and theatre in a group environment. Sawyer is presented jointly by Creative Campus, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Culverhouse College of Commerce, the College of Engineering and in collaboration with Auburn University. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, visitwww.creativecampus.ua.edu or call (205) 348-7884.</p>

<p>Events
Thursday, October 7th
Educating for Innovation
7:30pm Biology Building Room 127
Join Dr. Keith Sawyer as he leads a reading and discussion of his recent work, “Group Genius”. A jazz ensemble performance will open the evening of discussion and advice as to how creative innovation can be cultivated in a variety of group environments. All individuals interested in how collaboration and innovation can improve business, science, engineering, or life in general are invited to attend.</p>

<p>BIOGRAPHY
R. KEITH SAWYER graduated from the Manhattan Institute of Technology in 1982 with a degree in Computer Science. Shortly after he held jobs including: a video game designer for Atari and management consultant on innovative technologies for Keenan Systems, with clients such as AT&T, Citicorp, and U.S. West. In 1990 Sawyer began his doctoral studies in Psychology. He studied creativity with Dr. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (author of respected works such as, “Flow and Creativity”). Since acquiring his doctorate in 1994, Sawyer has dedicated his career to extensive research on collaboration and group creativity. He is now acclaimed with title of being one of the country’s leading scientific experts on creativity. He is also serving as a professor of psychology and education at Washington University in St. Louis.</p>

<p>Under the auspices of UA’s Office of Academic Affairs The Creative Campus is a collaborative system connecting students, faculty, and community to nurture innovative thinkers who turn ideas into action. Creative Campus seeks to serve as a hub of collaboration and creative activity at The University of Alabama. At the heart of Creative Campus is the undergraduate and graduate intern program. For more information on Creative Campus visit [Creative</a> Campus Initiative](<a href=“http://www.creativecampus.ua.edu%5DCreative”>http://www.creativecampus.ua.edu).</p>

<p>This sounds like such a unique and interesting program. I wish we could be in town that evening to attend, since we’ll be there the very next morning. Alas, DD will be marching with the band in a football game on the evening of October 7.</p>

<p>Opportunities like this almost make me wish I was going to be enrolling in college next year, too. I’ve already threatened my DD that we could earn our Ph.D.s in genetics together at UAB, as I have all the science and math prereqs. I’d just have to study really hard over the next 4 years to relearn all that material! </p>

<p>Wonder what she’d say if I threatened to move to college with her next year? I almost wouldn’t mind working on another bachelor’s degree!</p>