Weddings Minus Covid

They could just have a smaller wedding with only relatives.

I have not been asked to test. Obviously if asked, I would do so, but it is folly for the host ( or anyone present) to assume that covid isnt present just because the guests test negative. Hence I assume covid is present, would test if asked or sick, but otherwise get on with my life. I don’t get the false sense of security some seek-I know plenty of people who have tested negative, then positive the very next day. The tests are helpful but by no means assurances that covid is absent.
I expect very vulnerable guests will do their own form of risk analysis in deciding whether to attend, but I certaiy hope they are not counting on the vaxxed and tested status of the guests to confer some kind of super-protection to them. Many workers, drivers, delivery personnel contribute to a wedding, and people are in and out at such events, often having travelled to attend them. The risks are inherent in the event itself and each person needs to decide their own level of accep. Maybe some choose to stay outside. Or some mask. Or some don’t eat or dance. Whatever. Some risk will be there regardless.

4 Likes

I think your approach is sound, RoyCroft, but I do have one different spin. I know that people test negative on Monday and then positive on Tuesday. But I still feel reassured if I spent time with that person on MOnday, that even though they were in the process of developing covid, they probably weren’t very contagious on MOnday, and were probably MORE contagious on Tuesday. So I still find some comfort in the tests, under certain circumstances, despite the fact that they take a few days to show a positive line.

4 Likes

The test determines the amount of virus the testee is shedding. So although of course it is not perfect, it’s the best tool we have.

3 Likes

Well, the WebMD site claims people are contagious for 2-3 days before symptoms, and are most contagious 1-2 days before symptoms start.

1 Like

It’s a group action. Everyone tests to significantly reduce the possibility of transmitting covid to others. If you don’t get covid you don’t get long covid.

2 Likes

Testing immediately before an event is an act to help protect others at the event. As an individual act, it is purely altruistic. However, if an event requires everyone to test immediately before entry, the risk of someone spreading at the event is reduced. I.e. your risk of getting COVID-19 is reduced if other people test (negative) immediately before coming into contact with you.

5 Likes

Yes. But the tests themselves are not without shortcomings, which is why an outdoor wedding with 80 vaxxed guests outside of NY still qualifies as a very high risk event for covid using the risk calculators.

It’s the swiss cheese model of protection: nothing is perfect, so you do several different things to decrease risk. An event where

1. guests are vaccinated and boosted
  2. Asked to test the day of the event
  3. It’s outdoors, or indoors with air filtration
  4. Vulnerable guests wear masks

is likely to be much safer.

6 Likes

I know someone who got Covid from a friend who tested negative two hours prior. Both vaxxed and boosted. Neither spouse nor the kids in one house ever got it (not sure about the kids in the other house). That said, I have tested before seeing vulnerable relatives and will again if asked or if it seems prudent for their sake (i.e., recently saw relatives who have major health issues and I tested without being asked. But I had been exposed to someone at work the week prior (about five days prior) and I mostly see friends, shop, etc., without masking Plus, of course, my D is at school, at dance, with her friends, etc., again mostly not masking so it seemed worth taking the test). So I’m not anti-testing when warranted but I have no illusions that it’s a get out of jail free card and that risk doesn’t remain. I am mostly afraid of getting Covid and missing a major life event with D graduating, etc.; the middle-aged people I know - all vaxxed and boosted - have definitely been sick but all recovered fairly quickly. The teens barely noticed when they got it. That said, I’m grateful no one in our immediate family has gotten it and I’d be happy if we never did.

4 Likes

Clearly there are more shortcomings to NOT test. The test will catch some positives and keep them away.

https://insidemedicine.bulletin.com/are-large-indoor-events-safe-it-s-impossible-to-know-making-personal-choice-a-false-one/

The 3 weddings D attended in 2022 required downloading or showing vax & booster card or negative covid test. If you hadn’t tested and didn’t have a vax card, tests were available at reception table.

As far as D knows, there was only 1 case of covid total out of the 3 weddings.

As I wrote above, there are no vaccination or testing requirements to attend the wedding. I also wrote that I would be masking, and will probably be one of the very few people to do so. So I wouldn’t be the one to lecture because of concern over infecting elders and those with compromised immune systems. They wouldn’t be getting the virus from me.

If testing was required, I would certainly do so. I am very careful re masking and avoiding crowded indoor places, and continue to minimize my risk for covid as much as I can. I don’t run around pretending covid is over. And I doubt very much that those who are “living their life” are altruistically testing before a wedding when testing isn’t required. And let’s say this is when they are asymptomtic. Heck, even if they have slight symptoms, I have no doubt that many would just attribute them to allergies, and still wouldn’t test.

Do what the bride/groom request.

3 Likes

Already posted:

3 Likes

My daughter’s wedding will be attended by parents and our other daughter and maybe her long-time bf and the officiant. Indoors, courtroom.

The reception, a couple of days later, will be completely outdoors in our backyard. Everyone is vaxed and she’ll send out a reminder for testing prior. Only 50 people max attending. They bought insurance so the honeymoon should be safe.
(Which reminds me, I have to buy the wedding/liability insurance.)

4 Likes

I think it’s not acceptable to wait until two weeks prior to tell everyone they have to test the morning of the wedding (with a test that gives many false negatives anyways). I know it’s not your decision, but if they really wanted people to not get Covid at this wedding, they would do it all outside.

Why? What is the big deal about testing? It’s 20 seconds of your life.

2 Likes

The big deal is not being up front about it before guests make commitments to attend, since the test requirement could lead to some guests making an expensive trip in vain after testing positive.

3 Likes

Then they can politely decline the invitation. Right now travel is tricky and risky.

1 Like