Weddings Minus Covid

We are attending a family wedding this summer. No proof of vaccination/no testing required. I am certainly not testing before attending unless I have symptoms. Why should I? I’ve been more careful than most people, and I will mask. I’m sure I will be one of the very people doing so.

Attending a wedding this weekend in NY. I expect someone will have covid. If I were that concerned about it, I wouldn’t attend, but I also have been to Broadway, movies, sports events, airplanes, trains etc. My vaccines should protect against serious illness, even if they don’t help so much against contagion anymore. That is enough for me.

2 Likes

If the bride and groom asked you to you still wouldn’t? Because you can be infected and asymptomatic? Because it’s such low-hanging fruit to be able to be sure you are not infecting the bride and groom who could get sick on their honeymoon?

4 Likes

Are you not not concerned about long covid, which could mean long-term or even life-long disability?

3 Likes

No, not concerned enough to limit my life, which has already been circumscribed the last 2 years.

6 Likes

Because there are likely to be others there (elders and others) with compromised immune systems and if you are asymptomatic you could be inadvertently spreading the virus to others. You know Covid safety and consideration is something we should all be concerned with, right? How difficult is it for you to swab your nostrils and/or spit into a tube for the safety of others?

2 Likes

Asymptomatic people can spread Covid. That’s why you may want to test before you go.

My general rule is that whatever the host wants done, I do. I am fully vaxxed and double boosted.
We are attending my D’s long delayed graduation next weekend. The college is requiring all family members to provide proof of vaccinations and boosters OR a provide proof of a negative test. You must upload your vax card to be allowed entrance. Interestingly, the school is not allowing any alumni grads the option of testing. You provide a copy of vax and booster, or you don’t attend.

Currently, I watch the cases in the community and play it by ear. If/when cases go back up, I’ll ask people to test before they come. No one I know has any issue with testing. In my community, it’s just a thing you do before you go to an event, like getting your hair done or shaving your legs. It’s not a big deal.

If I was hosting a wedding and it was indoors, I’d ask every person to do a test that morning. I personally think that’s the easiest way to avoid a superspreader event. Home tests are free now, or you can buy one anywhere so there’s no excuse.

4 Likes

I would guess there may be some very vulnerable people at gatherings, including grandparents of bride/groom. I’d be very concerned about potentially being a vector and infecting them; testing negative would allow me to be as reassured as I can that I’m not an infection vector.

3 Likes

Very vulnerable people shouldn’t attend weddings. Even if everyone tests negative, it is quite possible covid is present, and it is either too early to detect it via test, or bought in from the many servers, florists, musicians, photographers, etc. If one is highly vulnerable and concerned about covid, the best action is to stay home, or understand that regardless of testing/vax status, exposure is highly likely at such an event.

4 Likes

And yet very vulnerable people want to spend time at milestone events as well. They know there are risks and appreciate people doing what they can to minimize the risk. Saying there is risk and so everyone should just accept it is pretty cold and callous.

10 Likes

My H, my mom and I are very vulnerable but we all plan to attend my son’s wedding and reception. We know there are risks but appreciate measures people take to help minimize those risks.

We also attended another wedding where I officiated. It was outdoors. The bride has been D’s friend for over 20 years. We were as safe as we could be and stayed masked and away from the crowd outdoors, except while eating.

So far as we know, only one person was positive after wedding and she doesn’t appear to have infected anyone else among the 110 guests.

You try telling my mother not to attend her grand-daughter’s wedding LOL!

She and my stepfather understood the risks and accepted them. They were vaxed, boosted etc. and much of the wedding was outside. Thankfully we had a covid-free wedding last summer.

3 Likes

My husband and son had Covid a couple of weeks ago, our daughter graduated college this weekend (3 ceremonies outdoors). I tested several times, I would not attend if I was positive. As of now, 4 in my family have had it twice, plus 3 shots. Testing takes 20 seconds.

4 Likes

Testing with a 15-minute home test is limiting your life?

Or are you saying that you wouldn’t test because you don’t care if you are positive/ asymptomatic and would attend regardless?

Everyone is vulnerable to long COVID. It’s life-changing. If you don’t like your life being “limited” by taking a COVID test, you’ll be really unhappy with long COVID.

2 Likes

The people I know with long covid are indeed varying degrees of miserable and scared.

Immediate family of the couple should take priority over all the other guests.

If a couple is asking guests to test, test or send regrets.

My D has a friend getting married in June. Elderly grandparents will be in attendance and proof of vaccine and testing are both required. 1/2 the guest list sent their regrets but the bride and groom want their grandparents there more than anyone else. I say kudos to the young couple for putting family first.

12 Likes

So interesting/weird to me. At this point, I’d rather sit next to someone who got a negative test that same morning, regardless of their vaxx status, than sit next to someone with an old vaccine and booster from the fall who didn’t test. Actually even if their booster was more recent. No mitigation method is perfect in and of itself, but a very very recent (past couple of hours) rapid test is probably what would make me safest hanging out with someone. (And I’m double boosted, which seems to be working so far :crossed_fingers:)

how is taking a test preventing long covid? Someone who is vaccinated and boosted can still get covid. If you get covid , you get Covid. I got covid, I am vaccinated and boosted. I would have gotten Covid regardless of testing.
As far as giving Covid to others, if I am feel healthly I am suppose to test every day?
Now if a bride or groom requests tests to attend, i will do, but for the wedding yesterday I did not just randomly test. The ceremony was outdoors and there were masks provided for those who wanted them. One older couple ate outside right by the doors so they could see everything. Also, all the elderly people i know are vaccinated and boosted twice. (and living their lives).

3 Likes

I think they were responding to the fact that the small threat to them of significant long covid isn’t worrisome enough to them to circumscribe their life (change plans, avoid outings, etc), not referring to the testing. But of course i shouldn’t speak for someone else, sorry if I misinterpreted.

I don’t think this poster said they wouldn’t test IF ASKED, I kind of think they were saying that they wouldn’t test of their own volition/motivation before going. Again, that’s my interpretation. I assume/believe/hope that anyone asked to test would test or not attend, including this poster.

3 Likes