Welcome Week 2015

Does anyone know why “Welcome Week” this year is only 1 day? Move in day is August 30-31 and Classes start Sept 2. How will this work??

I can’t find the Welcome Week schedule yet, but most likely the events continue throughout the first week of class.

What’s welcome week?

The rumor is that they don’t want the freshmen to have as many opportunities to go out and drink.

I heard it was because there were too many drinking citations last year so they canceled it

Welcome Week is not about drinking. Although there is likely to be a booth or panel discussion complete with info flyers about the dangers of drinking/drugs.

The Welcome Week events are still not posted anywhere. I assume freshmen will get e-mail when the info is available.
I don’t think Welcome Week is cancelled. Or was that a joke? If you check the events calendar, Welcome Week 2015 comes up, but it is empty so far.

Here is a link that outlines just a few of the events from several years ago.
http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/6441
You can see there are many evening events, especially after classes start.

@celesteroberts Obviously the University-stated purpose of Welcome Week isn’t to drink. It’s to welcome incoming freshmen to the university through really awesome events. There’s nothing written that says this has to happen the week before classes start, but if you look at it historically, that’s how it has been. My freshman year, I moved in on a Sunday, and classes didn’t start until the following week. It was a great time!

A lot of freshmen use this time to go out partying and drinking, which administration doesn’t like. So no, officially, welcome week isn’t about drinking, but that’s a lot of what freshmen do welcome week.