Wesleyan ED Fall Admission 2022 Discussion

Congratulations! - Wes did send a physical letter after ED1. I would expect the same for ED2

2 Likes

Yep, there was a physical letter–came a few weeks later, as I recall. Congratulations!

1 Like

Congrats!!

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you! My stats:
Test Optional
4.22 W GPA (school does not report UW)
Honors: Biliteracy Seal in Spanish, NHS, Spanish HS, Thespian HS, and Theatre Student of the Year
ECs: Staff writer for 3 websites (including a professional film magazine), Leader of Theatre Review Team, 4 years of theatre and vocal competitions, 3 Social Justice clubs in leadership positions, Camp Counselor

4 Likes

I also had an Alumni interview which I think went really well. We had a great conversation about film, which is what I hope to study at Wes. I wrote my personal statement comparing moments from my life to moments in my favorite films as a way to describe my passion for the art form!

5 Likes

Congrats! With your film passion, you’re going to love it at Wes!!

473 students were admitted to the class Of 2026 before Regular Decision from deferred enrollment, Questbridge, Posse, ED1 and ED2.

1 Like

Based on this information, the EDI admission rate dropped 29% and the EDII rate dropoed 28% compared to last year.

Totally flummoxed by all this. 62% admit rate? Never heard of such a thing. Where do you see the 29% drop? I feel I’m completely missing something.

62-44=18, 18/62=29%

1 Like

Thanks–that helps. But was the ED admit rate last year really 62%? I’ve never heard that figure anywhere else, and it seems awfully high.

1 Like

I hadn’t seen the Class of 2025 EDI and EDII stats broken out before, but the 62% EDI rate seems reasonable. Per the 21-22 CDS (Class of 2025), the overall ED acceptance rate was 55% (494/900) https://www.wesleyan.edu/ir/data-sets/CDS_2021-2022.pdf

1 Like

There was a deliberate decision last year to “front-load” the Class of 2025, the reasoning being that it made more sense to fill the class early rather than wait until the wait list season by which time it was feared all the best test-optional kids would already be taken. What the adcom didn’t anticipate was that Wesleyan’s RD yield would rise for reasons they haven’t quite been able to figure out. That rise plus the higher than usual ED acceptances resulted in an over-admitted class of close to 900 kids.

2 Likes

@Oshoyu: Stating the result verbally, an admission rate that drops from 62% to 44% has dropped by 29%. Only the figures in bold appear directly in the Argus article.

Looking at past CDS reports, it looks like last year was the true outlier: the 55% ED rate compares to 41% the year before, and 37% before that. So this year, at 44%, is more or less in line with historical trends–with, it appears, a larger chunk of the class being admitted ED, likely as a cautionary response to last year’s extra-large cohort.

4 Likes

I may be missing something. ED rates at even very selective colleges can sound not very selective just looking at the numbers. the 40 to 50% range isn’t all that uncommon. But that also includes a very high % of strongly hooked applicants, like the athletes.

1 Like

Correct, you always have to back out the athletes from the ED # accepted/# applied to get a truer sense of acceptance rates (compared to RD).

2 Likes

I am so very sorry that your D, and by extension, your whole family, had to go through this! Additionally, I am very sad that it has taken me 23 days to respond. After the nightmare that was December, I had to get away from this discussion. Please accept my deepest apologies.

How is your D doing now? This is definitely not an easy thing to bounce back from. After the Wesleyan decision, my D got right on it and submitted an EDII application and 15 RD applications–yup–15 :-(. The good news is that she was accepted to her EDII school and she is positively thrilled with how things worked out. Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions or would like to discuss further.

Hugs to your D!

3 Likes

I love a happy ending, thanks for posting here after taking a much needed breather. Congrats to your D and to your family!!

2 Likes

Thank you for these very kind words! Best of luck to you and your D! Please keep us posted on her decisions.

2 Likes