What affordable [<$20k] colleges are possible for my 2.8 student? [NY resident]

OP described the Manhattan high school student attends as very rigorous, so it is either private or a public exam school. In either event the counselors will have Naviance showing where student is likely to be admitted.

1 Like

@roycroftmom the OP posted:

Luckily the public highschool she attends in Manhattan is exceptionally rigorous and well regarded.

But I totally agree
these schools usually have great college counseling services which I hope the OP daughter is using.

4 Likes

Ok, well, I would expect that means the usual suspects-Brooklyn Tech, Bronx Sci and Stuy. They have lots of Naviance charts there.

1 Like

UNCW looks pretty interesting.

2 Likes

I live in Wilmington. Nice small city. Very close to the beach.

Wilmington looks pretty cool and meets many of the criteria- thank you to who suggested it. We’re looking at the website now and DD is intrigued!

4 Likes

We do have Naviance, yes.

I was really impressed with UNCW. We reached out to visit and inquired specifically about the honors college and they met with us for almost 1.5 hrs going into evening one on one. Pretty campus. My D wants small school, science focused, diverse and in southeast. She also has challenges that warrant support and small class sizes. She wants grad school so we too are focused on keeping undergrad costs low.

1 Like

Here’s the problem. It makes little sense to look at colleges where your daughter’s chance of admission is close to zero. Less than one-half of one percent of UNCW frosh had gpa’s under 3.0. It is highly unlikely she will be the exception. I wouldnt set her up for disappointment by looking at all sorts of colleges without checking the chance of admission first

4 Likes

I’m confused - it’s $42,600.

is the budget $20K or $40K? That would add a host of schools.

And it is very nice - my son did a marine science camp there.

But only 1.3% have under a 3.25 GPA.

So add it if you like and can afford - but it’s a high reach.

Not trying to come off negative but realistic. Now - their average GPA is over a 4.0 so that’s weighted - so your unweighted was described before - but how many Honors and AP classes were there?

Edit - I see @roycroftmom mom was writing the same thing and beat me to it!!!

Still confused on cost - if as you said before you need to be at $20K, why look at schools over $40K?

4 Likes

When we toured UNC-Wilmington we timed the drive to the beach from campus, because hello, BEACH! A big draw. Campus was also really nice. I think it comes in around $40K OOS (ETA: someone already mentioned the cost).

The NC Promise schools (the ones with the cheap tuition even OOS) are 2 HBCUs, 1 historically Native American college eventually folded into the UNC system but still quite small, and Western Carolina. I have spent a week at a time at summer conferences at WCU and if I had to guess why it is part of NC Promise I would assume it is because it is painfully rural.

3 Likes

She’s got a ton of college level courses, two APs, and a lot of community service, school government, and extracurriculars.

1 Like

When one has a budget, one has tradeoffs.

But yes, it won’t be for everyone.

2 Likes

Ignore the ECs for now. How does your school weigh the gpa? Your counselor knows this. What is a " college level" course? DE? AP?

3 Likes

We’re not sure if we’re getting additional help from the MIL, if so, then we could expand our search so I def want to show a few that are more expensive.

I don’t know yet on merit etc. I don’t understand the merit process entirely.

She doesn’t have high GPA, but does have a lot of other things going for her.

Just FYI, she doesn’t go to these. NYC is a big place with a lot of fantastic public schools. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Realistically, as you will find the longer you are on CC, pretty much everyone has " a lot of things going for them" and ECs are not going to make up for academic deficiencies. They just do not. The college will be reporting her gpa on its CDS. If almost no one with her gpa is admitted, she won’t be either.
I see your edit to exclude the public NYC exam schools. Well, then I hope she does really, really well in her SAT.

9 Likes

GPA will be the most important factor along with rigor. It would be helpful to know the unweighted GPA (seems you thought the 2.9 might not be correct). Regardless, Naviance will be most helpful to the extent that it shows who applied with or without tests. Without that info the scattergrams are less helpful. The Naviance historical GPA data will be more helpful than what posters are sharing from the CDSs.

ETA: CDS GPAs are only helpful if one knows how that GPA is calculated, and if that’s how admissions calculates and uses GPAs in the admission process. Many institutional reporting depts do wacky things when calculating GPAs.

4 Likes

At a 2.8 merit is unlikely regardless of other things . If a weighted at 3.0 maybe at a few schools. But not $20k worth of merit.

If $40k others open up and is a whole other search but best to target where you know you could afford for now.

7 Likes

Cool.