What are my chances for boarding school? (Reapplying to 9th grade)

Clout chasing? I don’t think theres any clout chasing in applying to boarding school? And your using clout chasing wrong, if I was clout chasing I would associate myself into a trend, a huge event, or bothering celebrities to get recognition and popularity. I don’t think applying to boarding school is a trend to get popular with :upside_down_face:. If your going to use a word at least use it correctly :sweat_smile:. And theres nothing positive about clout chasing so why would you say its not a flex when any sane person knows that? Your an adult telling a kid hes clout chasing without knowing the definition :sob:

Might I remind members of the forum rules: “Our forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

and

“College Confidential forums exist to discuss college admission and other topics of interest. It is not a place for contentious debate. If you find yourself repeating talking points, it might be time to step away and do something else… If a thread starts to get heated, it might be closed or heavily moderated.”

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

I’d further suggest that users who are going to be pedantic about another user’s choice of words review their own response for grammatical correctness before posting.

5 Likes

The definition of clout chasing isn’t “I’m applying to BS for clout.” It’s applying to these schools for a name.

Such as….broaden your list of schools? Just a suggestion….

2 Likes

@Visual1 I see a talented, thoughtful teenager trying to weigh his options and navigate a complex application system. The good news is that you still have time to think things through, and you have a great Plan B.

I see that your original question was posted over the summer and, echoing @ameridad’s sage advice, hopefully you are now following through with what you had then planned. You seem to have strong musical credentials and @ameridad is very knowledgeable on that front and generous with his knowledge!

Resuming competitive swimming would add an extra dimension to your application, which I think would be helpful. Don’t be deterred by being a little slower than you would like right now! Sounds like you have a solid history, an explanation for your hiatus and potential. Expressing an interest in a school’s swimming programme would make sense in terms of your application and help to demonstrate your “fit” for the school. And on that point, I’m not sure that Concord or Middlesex have swimming programmes, but could be wrong?

I understand that you’re not interested in broadening your net, but The Peddie School in New Jersey is also an excellent school and would be a great fit for you in terms of your interests in music, maths / STEM and swimming. I would encourage you to check that out.

Wishing you the best of luck!

3 Likes

I already looked at different schools in the Bostonish area and I feel like they aren’t the fit for me. I want to go to schools that will allow me to leave on the weekends so I can attend my Youth orchestra but the other schools I contacted said they won’t allow me unless its a once in a lifetime opportunity, which is mostly why I’m applying to the schools I am. Thanks.

That is one way to approach this. In fact, that was exactly our attitude when we first started and our perspective changed once we started touring boarding schools. For us, we realized boarding school was a good fit for my daughter over staying home and attending public school so expanding gave us some safety. Good luck whatever route you choose!

2 Likes

While leaving on weekends for musical lessons/orchestra is allowed at certain boarding schools, it is not encouraged. I probably know of more kids doing this type of thing from Andover, Exeter and a couple of St. Paul’s kids to the Boston area and to New York (Juilliard) from Hotchkiss than with other schools. With Andover and Exeter, my understanding is it’s mainly day students, so perhaps not very disruptive to the student’s experience at the school; with Hotchkiss, it’s Ubers to trains to subways, etc., and quite exhausting. If you’re not planning on being a day student in the Boston area, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Thinking more broadly, I think you need to consider that whatever paths on which you embark, you leave different potential paths truncated or unexplored to begin with. For the potential benefits of boarding school, you sacrifice potential benefits of staying home. You really can’t expect to go away for school and still expect to participate in everything you can at home.

It’s your life for you and your parents to decide upon, but you might want to consider prioritizing boarding schools which themselves have superior music programs/orchestras/private string teachers. Exeter’s orchestra, for example, is really quite good for a youth orchestra, with many good string players. It might be all you need. Or, don’t worry so much about the school orchestra and plan instead to attend an orchestral-intensive summer camp, like Interlochen or Boston University Tanglewood Institute.

5 Likes

I’m applying to these schools because I met students from most of them in my current youth orchestra. Currently theres several Exeter kids and a few kids from each of the schools. (I’m not quite sure about the exact number but I’ve met a few kids from Exeter, Andover, Hotchkiss, Concord, Milton, Deerfield, and St. Paul) I asked them about leaving on the weekends and they said it would be fine as long as its only once a week and if its near the school. So I think it’ll be fine since they go to the school as boarding students but still go to the youth orchestra I go too.

1 Like

Firstly, I want to extend my congratulations on your notable accomplishments in music and swimming. The dedication and effort you’ve channeled into these fields are clear indicators of your passion and commitment. This determination sets the stage for even more significant successes ahead. Embrace and celebrate these achievements.

The transition to high school can be an exhilarating mix of emotions and experiences. While you might form strong bonds with your new classmates at the top public schools in Massachusetts, there could also be moments of reflection about other boarding schools you considered. It’s perfectly natural to navigate through this spectrum of feelings. I would advise sharing these emotions, along with your aspirations and concerns, with trusted individuals like your parents and close friends, rather than seeking solace in anonymous online platforms.

A boarding school provides not just academic growth, but also vital lessons in community living and personal development. Such an environment emphasizes the importance of feedback, both positive and constructive, which can be a valuable tool for personal enhancement. They will guide you on when to stand firm in your beliefs and when to appreciate their supportive voice and move forward. Additionally, one of the integral aspects of the boarding school experience is understanding how to interact online both responsibly and respectfully. Do bear in mind that posts on public platforms, such as CC, might be noticed by school administrators. There are not many who got top 20 in swimming in NY, specific awards and accolades, who is from top public schools in MA. Their interpretations of your interactions, especially if they evaluate the tone, can potentially influence their perception of you. Given this, reevaluating and perhaps even removing certain posts you made above might be a thoughtful approach to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

In your journey toward selecting a school, engage in open dialogues with your parents about both your educational aspirations and the financial implications. It’s worth noting that many top-ranking public schools in Massachusetts offer academic rigor and college matriculation comparable to several esteemed boarding schools. This could mean achieving similar collegiate outcomes without placing substantial financial burdens on your family. While I’m optimistic about the financial aid prospects you’ve mentioned, it’s also an acknowledged fact that many boarding schools cater predominantly to families who can shoulder the full tuition fees. While there are varying viewpoints on this topic, a forum might not be the ideal platform for such discussions – admission decision is.

Lastly, I’ve been reflecting on your situation and genuinely hope that you can channel your energies into both academics and nurturing social relationships at your current public school. Make the most of this time and carve out a fulfilling and constructive experience for yourself.

P.S. I am going send you a direct message to provide more context about my background and the reasons behind this post.

3 Likes

Closing at the request of the OP.