What are the average sat scores and gpas of admitted african american at ivy leagues

<p>this question has been on my mind for a bit...what is the average sat score and gpa of an admitted african american at an ivy?
...and specifically for every individual ivy</p>

<p>colleges don't release information like this for obvious reasons, but I would venture to say that the average ranges for SAT scores are as follows:</p>

<p>HYP: 2050-2250
The Rest:1900-2150</p>

<p>GPAs are going to vary because different school grades in different ways. But most black students are going to be in the top 10% of their class.</p>

<p>I would largely agree with eating food.</p>

<p>First, to have any chance at success a black applicant is going to have to be Top 10% in his or her respective class and have good extra-curricular involvement/leadership. Excellent essays are a must.</p>

<p>Eating food provided estimated score ranges, but I'll take a different approach. Based on applicants I've seen, I'd recommend these scores (of course, there are applicants that are exceptions to these generalities):</p>

<p>HYP & Special Programs (Wharton, Penn Joint-Degrees, Brown PLME): 2100+SAT and 32+ ACT</p>

<p>Other Ivies: 1900+ SAT, 29 ACT+ </p>

<p>The higher the scores, the better the chances.
Still nothing is a guarantee, as I've seen some great black applicants get rejected. Essays are I feel possibly the most vital part of the application.</p>

<p>i've know a couple URMs to get into harvard with a 28 ACT...</p>

<p>i can't give a general range though</p>

<p>I know some that have gotten in with a 1800+ SAT...</p>

<p>bumping this one up. Does anyone have any new information on this subject from the most recent admission cycle? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I think that I can give you some information. From personal experience based off my college admission results as well as the results of my friends, I can say the SAT range for admitted African Americans ranges anywhere from 1900-2200. For admittance to Cornell, I’d say 2000+ gives one a clear shot. For Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Penn, Brown, Dartmouth, and Columbia, 2150+ SAT or 32+ ACT can help one be extremely competitive.</p>

<p>Here are the results for many of my African American classmates and friends:</p>

<p>Male: 35 ACT/ perfect Subject tests, 4.0 GPA UW/ 5.8+ maybe a 5.9 W Very good extracurriculars. Acceptances: Harvard, Princeton, Yale and everywhere else</p>

<p>Male: 2050 SAT 3.9 GPA W/ 4.5 UW. Barely any extracurriculars. Acceptances: Duke, Cornell, rejected everywhere else (HYPS).</p>

<p>Male: 32 ACT, great SAT II (750+ on all). Great extracurriculars. Accepted: Harvard Princeton</p>

<p>Male: 2150 SAT, decent Subject tests. 3.9 UW/ 4.8 W. Outstanding extracurriculars including research. Acceptances: Princeton, Dartmouth, Duke</p>

<p>Female: Very high GPA (assuming 4.0 UW/ 5.0 or higher W). Accepted: Princeton, Penn</p>

<p>Female: Decent GPA, Good SAT (assuming 2100+), Amazing extracurriculars (better than most mentioned above, except that 1st dude). Acceptances: Columbia, MIT, Duke, JH</p>

<p>So I would say that the most successful applicants had 2100+ SAT scores, decent subject tests, and REALLY amazing extracurriculars like research, internships, community service, sports (though none were recruited). Most also wrote really amazing essays. </p>

<p>If you have anymore questions, just ask. As a side note…I would suggest that you don’t believe everything you hear about affirmative actions. It doesn’t “help” significantly (like result in several students getting into Princeton or Yale with 1700-1800 SAT scores…that just doesn’t happen very often or at all really), but rather makes your application stand out a little more. Being black is a part of who you are; and who you are is what gets translated to your college application. Most of these African-American students worked extremely hard, just as hard as their non-minority and over-represented counterparts. It’s not all about SAT’s and colleges see that. Once you get to a certain level (especially as a minority), the process really depends on what you do outside of the classroom. That’s my personal sentiment.</p>

<p>Also, it is useful to check the acceptance threads.
Personally, I received HP & Columbia admissions with a 2270 and 101%+ GPA (ranked #1 unweighted, #3 weighted).</p>

<p>I agree with ksarmand, the acceptance threads are helpful, but don’t let it freak you out b/c you’ll start to compare yourself to other students and it can get out of hand. </p>

<p>Personally, I think my essays and recs were great, but I received Princeton, Columbia, Penn, and Cornell admissions with a 2010/28 ACT score and 3.6/4.5 GPA. It’s possible with a lot of determination.</p>

<p>That is great beautifulnerd! Just goes to show that you do not have to have a 2300+ on your SAT to get into some of the top schools. </p>

<p>Good luck to you at Princeton. Out of curiousity, where else did you apply?</p>

<p>I’m a URM with a 1440/2220, top 10% most rigorous courses possible at a school that sends 15/100 kids to ivies each year, respectable ecs (student council vp, model un + debate president, varsity field hockey captain), solid essays (letters from adcoms told me they were what stood out in my application) and recs… etc… into penn… rejected from dartmouth and princeton.</p>

<p>^glad you posted that information gc414. Otherwise, too many urms with similar stats might be convinced that they have a lock on the ivies. My D will probably apply to 13 colleges, even though her stats are right in line with the stats mentioned by smoothboy and ksarmand. The acceptance rates are just too low to be certain of anything for anyone.</p>

<p>I know it’s not an Ivy, but I’ve been tracking URM Duke admits for several years, and I’d say the threshold is about 1300/2100, 3.8 UW GPA, and good EC’s. Many (out of about 30 or 40 I’ve tracked) are better, and a lot seem to end up at Ivies.</p>

<p>Personally …
SAT: 1880
ACT: 29
GPA: 4.0/4.7</p>

<p>accepted: Stanford, Princeton, UChicago, Brown, Cornell, Georgetown SFS, Johns Hopkins, Williams, Tufts, Northwestern
rejected: no where.</p>

<p>Rare case, but that shows that the numbers aren’t EVERYTHING. Don’t freak out. Enjoy your summers and write kick ass essays.</p>

<p>Well for me </p>

<p>ACT: 30
GPA: 3.7 (weighted)
Ecs: varsity soccer (3 years), National Honor Society, French Honor Society, tutoring twice a week
Extra: Good recs (adcoms I met said they made me stand out)</p>

<p>However, I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but I think part of your acceptance relies on how many other qualified applicants attend your school or are in your area. i mean stellar applicants won’t get rejected, but there can only be so many 2400/5.0s if you know what I mean. I think part of my acceptance into Cornell was because I was the only person in my district to apply (1000+ students applying for college) and I was qualified. Also, I’m from a different region than my college. That probably makes no difference, but they have to have someone from Illinois right? lol</p>

<p>OP, colleges would never release such information as it would result in increased outcry from those against AA policies and would provide plenty of data for them to refer to in order to support their claims.</p>

<p>Sorry for bumping an old thread but…</p>

<p>Will half URM (black or hispanic) and half ORM (white/asian) have a distinct “disadvantage” against a full URM? </p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>^ Everything including whether you are 1/2 or more white/ Asian, economically disadvantaged or not, first gen in college or not, coming from a depressed region of the country or not etc are factored in. That is why you cannot compare one applicant to another. </p>

<p>In the end if you are from a 100% African American family, with very low income, attending inner city schools most of your life, where few graduates go on to attend college, and the school is on watch list for drug violations/ and other crimes, average SAT scores are below 1200, but you happen to be a real decent, unpretentious down to earth charitable and generous guy, who has won national Science and Math competitions, fluent in 2 foreign languages, have a perfect SAT score and perfect GPA, with great ECs & recs, then your chances are best. Unfortunately, there are not enough people like this, so …</p>

<p>to answer your question, ElMastermind, did you attend largely poor, black URM, inner city schools in depressed neighborhoods where crime was rampant and average SAT scores were really low? Does your family live below the poverty line? Will you be the first in your family to attend college? If the answer is yes, to all these questions, then your half African American identity will not put you at a disadvantage against a full urm. On the other hand if one of your parents attended college, you attended an average American high school in the suburbs and your parents make middle class income, then your half African American identity will not give you any signifcant advantage over any other White or Asian applicant.</p>

<p>Perazziman’s anecdotal suggestions are not borderline enough to be very interesting. It seems to me that mixed race applicants are benefited generally. My brother’s friend is pretty sure he wouldn’t have gotten into Harvard without being mixed Asian-white. His father is an upper-class doctor, he is not a legacy, he plays no sports, his extracurriculars are decent, and his test scores are middle-ish. He is Japanese-Chinese-Germanic Jewish, specifically. I think that as long as you are not purely ORM, you can benefit a lot just from making your ethnic identity seem exotic in the application. The adcoms are human. Nothing comes down to a simple formula, but the process also isn’t reasonable by any means.</p>

<p>^Good point. Upper class means money and power, as well as ability to pay tuition/ cost of education and make future donations to the university. The college may also be betting he will have money and resources to fund businesses with people he meets at the college- leadership potential worth developing. At the same time, his mixed heritage may have resulted in him writing some interesting essays on something that impressed the adcoms. As long as the kid was not expecting to become a neurosurgeon with his less than stellar SAT scores/ GPA there should be a place for somone like him in a less demanding major at Harvard.</p>