What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

Data between now and summer about what different states are going to do if the numbers start to spike higher around Memorial Day and beyond as anticipated by the “if it gets worse” crowd.

That’s what we’re missing too as we think about our Anniversary trip for August.

Back to the Hawaii topic, I cannot see a distant island as a safe haven. If it becomes the center of a new pandemic, you are stuck.

Yes, like avoiding Park Loop Road (especially places like Thunder Hole) when we visit Acadia National Park. Mt. Desert Island has so much to offer - we can easily avoid the tourist hordes.

Our family rents a cabin on a lake in Maine for a week every summer. I emailed the rental agency to ask about the 14 day quarantine for out of state travelers, and if we should cancel our reservation. They responded by explaining that May is “stage 1” and no rentals are allowed. June is “stage 2” and they can only rent to Mainers. July and August will be “stage 3” and will have the 14 day quarantine for out-of-state renters. But that things could change and they’ll have more information in May or June.

So now we have to decide if we just cancel now (and lose part of our deposit) or hope for the best. We pretty much quarantine ourselves the whole week there anyway, only leaving the lake once or twice to run to the local gas station if we run out of snacks or ice for the coolers.

@flyawayx2, just be sure to clarify the exact rules of the quarantine. There is some confusion. The Maine CDC put out a very clear Facebook post that stated visitors have to have food delivered during the quarantine - they can’t even go to the grocery store. But in an earlier press conference, the Governor stated that visitors CAN go to the grocery store. I asked for clarification but never received it. Argh.

@MaineLonghorn I definitely will. Hopefully there will by clarification by the end of summer when/if we go. We could get snacks/ice delivered, we know a few local families there since we’ve been renting there for over 20 years. Its our happy place, so hopefully we will still go.

SF Gate has a story about a honeymoon couple who were arrested in Waikiki for leaving the hotel during their 14 day quarantine. They blamed the TSA agents at the airport for giving them bad information.

Really, who go at all? Better to be home and be able to move around more than going to Hawaii.

CA folks… DIL tells me med school lad can stay at her folk’s place for his test, but the caveat is it’s 3 hours from LA. The test is in the afternoon, but how “solid” is the 3 hour trip from Fresno to LA? I have my doubts about trusting it when something as critical as a test is involved. Traffic issues common?

Right now it’s a back up plan and he’d allow an hour or two extra sitting in the car once there if necessary. The lad might have friends or alumni closer. He’s checking, esp since I don’t really want him to drive that distance before or after a test.

I’ve mentioned hotels and AirBnB as the obvious choice, but he doesn’t seem to be as interested in those. I’m not really sure why. He’s a people lover, so probably just prefers to be with people.

He should stay at a hotel or Airbnb that is very close to the testing center. Like he could walk if he had to.

A three hour drive the morning before the test is insane at best. He needs to be well rested…not having spent the morning driving on unfamiliar roads for three hours.

You need to have your kid check this timing out…

He shouldn’t be driving three hours on either end of this test. Period. Pay for a hotel.

If he stays at a hotel near the test site (and there are few obvious choices for the LA test site), your lad will likely run into several other med students waiting to take the exam. D1 did while sitting around the pool/lobby. They all went out together for drinks after the exam was over.

And I concur–driving from 3 hours away right before a career-critical exam is just not a good plan.

More like 4 hours. And all it would take would be one accident, one spill, or one police chase and he would miss his test. Stay close.

Absolutely second that. Stay at a place within a short walking distance. A walk can calm the nerves and ease any pre-exam jitters.

Thanks all - with the voices of experience I’ll be more insistent. He may very well like the idea of other med students there. Not sure if he’s thought about that aspect vs being alone.

The lad is now on board with a hotel within walking distance. Thanks again everyone. I was getting shivers when he was happily talking about “only a three hour drive.”

@bgbg4us

Problems with RV travel: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/realestate/virus-sheltering-in-place-rvs.html

“But with a patchwork of travel restrictions in place, national and most state campgrounds closed indefinitely, not to mention locals feeling less than welcoming of out-of-towners for fear of contagion, R.V. drivers are increasingly trapped in the vehicles meant to liberate them.”

Just before everything crashed we had arrived about 1300 miles away from home, we stayed there until two weeks ago. We set up our big SUV to sleep in, spent about 30 hours in the car, 24 of it driving. We slept in a truck stop gas station.

As we started our drive, the first 6 hours are through tiny towns, all drive throughs, gas station bathrooms closed for safety, park bathrooms closed for safety. I can neither confirm nor deny peeing behind a tree in the wilderness. When we hit the suburbs, same thing, no bathrooms, had to find a freeway side Walmart. After that city area we were on highways large enough to have truck stops and rest areas, but if you are planning a road trip, plan to be as self sufficient as possible. We had bedding and cooler or food, refilled ice water in multiple containers any time we could. Brought food and water for the pups. It was not a fun trip, but we got home and quarantined 14 days :slight_smile:

Astronaut diapers, my friends. Astronaut diapers. ?

@arisamp mentioned hotel versus home to rent. I think I would feel more comfortable in a vacation rental home instead of a hotel, you’d have more control over your area and no public areas. Most hosts are taking extra care cleaning, but you could also reclean high touch surfaces and then know they are ok for the duration plus you can cook your own food.

Is this what you are thinking of? https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7226705

I ventured on to airbnb yesterday and had a V8 moment: why not just find somewhere in our home state to vacation?! No worries about 14 day quarantine or state regulations. Prices are crazy low. I found some lovely waterfront, lakefront, and mountain properties. We will find something for late May/early June, a nice grad celebration for my class of 2020 son.