What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

My experience on trips from GA to MD is that the northbound welcome station on I-81 as you enter VA is hands-free. Used my foot to hold the stall closed, but everything else was sensor-driven. Drove this 3/11 on the way home from my brother’s funeral and it was the only place I stopped on the 600-mile trip besides filling the gas tank once. Had my winter gloves for that, as 81 can get unexpected weather in the mountains.

Yes, I think you are right about Xanterra being concessions. Whatever the name of the big lodging company is! :slight_smile:

Xantara is the national parks provider of lodging and food. We have gotten services and bills from them at many national parks over the years.

Oh no…

—-

6:47 pm
Delta Airlines to suspend service at 10 airports across U.S.

Delta Airlines will cut service to 10 airports across the U.S. starting Wednesday until September at the earliest in an effort to minimize employees’ exposure to COVID-19.

Services will be suspended at secondary airports, which mean they operate close to a larger primary airport. Delta said Friday that it had reduced its schedule by 85%, and may cut service to more airports in the future. In April, the airline filed a request with the U.S. Department of Transportation to reduce operations at nine other airports.

The airports that will have their service cut Wednesday are:

Chicago Midway International Airport

Oakland International Airport

Hollywood Burbank Airport

Long Beach Airport

T.F. Green International Airport

Westchester County Airport

Stewart International Airport

Akron-Canton Airport

Manchester-Boston Regional Airport

Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport

I totally agree. No line, no hassle. Hope it stays that way. I am being selfish.

If airlines are flying with 75% or even 25% less passengers, and are flying to less airports, and are flying less flights, please remember that this means a LOT of airline employees are going to lose their jobs.

We have friends and relatives who work for the airlines. They are currently furloughed and hope they have jobs in the future. And these are people with significant seniority.

I can not be that selfish.

Relax. Nothing is going to change according to my wish. If anything, I am helping the airline industry by repelling fear of flying while good doers foster fear of flying and prolonging the demise. Who is more selfish now?

@Iglooo

Nice you are flying now. My flights have all been cancelled…as have the events for which they were made.

Carry on.

I’m surprised the Portland, Maine airport is not losing Delta. I guess because we’re farther away from Boston than Manchester.

I picked up a relative from the airport yesterday. I arrived 30 minutes early and was the only car in the pickup line for at least 20 minutes. With the exception of two police cars and an airport worker, I did not see another person, vehicle, or a plane in the sky for that entire 20 minutes.

My son has decided to go to the beach for a few days and stay at an airbnb, if they can find one. They still would not go out to eat, bringing groceries with, but would want to make sure there was a Walmart/Target/grocery available if they needed something for the 19 month old.

I am surprised as he is the one that was so insistent that I not go to work, prior to my furlough, and the one keeping up with everything COVID. He is a physician and starting at a new hospital in June, so has some time off before he starts. He asked if we would come for a few days, and my husband told him yes. I want to see them and the baby, but don’t know if it is a good idea or not. It may not pan out anyway, but if it does, I have some thinking to do. If I go, it would be a drive most likely.

Why did he have to tempt me? I was content with the daily FaceTime, but would love the give that baby lots of kisses.

I was feeling good about my travel until a few minutes ago. They just announced my flight is 80% booked The flight map is now showing someone sitting right next to me. I’m super upset. They took 14 stand by passengers.

^Which airline and route?

A San Francisco doctor flew home from NYC a day or so ago and was shocked to see how crowded the United Flight was!

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-doctor-returning-from-helping-in-NY-plane-15259851.php#item-85307-tbla-6

Don’t fly United!!! Atlanta to Chicago route. They are ignoring their own written policies. There were hardly any empty seats and they wouldn’t let anyone change seats. Flight attends were awful to the passengers. Already sent emails out and am riled enough to continue to escalate so people know. I would have made a different decision had I known they weren’t adhering to their own published covid 19 policies.

@momofsenior1

Send a twitter message to United about this!

That’s disgusting. I bet some of these FA’s are like, I don’t give a rats behind about what anyone says about this airline because I am losing my job anyway come October.

That’s exactly right. Many of the flight attendants working now, won’t have jobs on the other side of this. Even those with significant seniority.

Another fully packed United flight from Newark to San Francisco:

https://abc7news.com/is-it-safe-to-fly-social-distancing-flights-united-coronavirus-airlines/6168239/

To be honest, I think the Delta announcement is spin - they aren’t cutting flights to minimize exposure, they’re cutting to increase volume on other flights. In other words, by cutting Manchester, they force people to Boston so those flights are fuller. New Hampshire has had less than 5,000 cases while Massachusetts has had over 75,000.