What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

It sounds to me like he was going to NO to cover the story of the virus. It’s like the correspondents who go into war zones. It’s part of their jobs.

Every time I see Richard Engle on TV I’m so impressed he willingly goes into such dangerous places to bring us the news of what is happening on the grounds.

@Iglooo yes…probably online.

Teachers are giving virtual lessons online as part of final interviews around here. If that can happen, seems to me a lecture of some sort can happen. It won’t be identical to what your kid’s profession usually does, but they will figure out how to adapt the interview process.

Back some decades ago, we walked to the bottom of Havasu canyon (a smaller branch of the Grand Canyon), after driving most of the day and hit the bottom just as it got pitch black. We were walking in darkness with all our gear on to find a suitable campsite. It took us a long time and lot of effort to climb back out a week later. Climbing down and back up in the same day sounds VERY arduous to me!

I think they headed down around 6 am. My other two kids and I were waiting at the top. We thought they would get back by 11 at the VERY latest. 11, 11:30, 12, 12:30, 1:00, and 1:30 came and went. At that point, I was frantic, especially after recalling the poster photo of the young woman, a collegiate runner, who had wandered off the trail and died! So I went to the Park HQ and was filling out a report. Right when I was writing everything down, DH called, “We’re back! It was awesome!” OMG, I almost killed him.

So when we think of our 2010 trip to Arizona, that event is what he and I each think of, with very different emotions!

Looks like the national parks in Utah either are now or will be open by the end of the month. It’s tempting after so much time locked up.

I think he lives in NO. That is what I got. And Fair is not a journalist, is he. he can do his commentary from his office.

[QUOTE=""]
Eventually, he said, he could take in only 25 percent of the oxygen he was trying to breathe, and he called an ambulance. He asked not to be intubated but to be given oxygen, instead. Within a few days, he started responding to the oxygen and the medications he was taking for lung infections that came with the virus.

[/QUOTE]

On Wednesday night, he was no longer in critical condition.<<<

What does that even mean? That is a quote. Is he for real?

I’m sorry, I have done a fair amount of reading about lung health and lung conditions but have never heard any lay person say they can only “take in 25% of the oxygen.” What does that even mean?

Is he saying that his lung function dropped from saying he could exhale the same amount in the 1st second as 99% of others of his age and height to only 24.75% of what others could exhale? That’s NOT the same as “only taking in 25% of the oxygen.” That is a very clumsy way of stating use of supplemental oxygen. I would suspect the responded immediately to the oxygen so he didn’t become oxygen deprived or die, though he may have had to use the supplemental oxygen at higher amounts than he would have liked, perhaps.

In appears most of his work is not connected to him being a contributor.

Sounds like he is like a storm chaser except he’s goes around the world looking for potential plagues.

Joseph Fair, PhD, MPH
Dr. Joseph Fair Dr. Joseph Fair is a modern-day international disease detective that travels the world in search of plagues before they become global disasters. In addition, Dr. Fair is a scientist, business entrepreneur, media consultant, and builder and creator of public health programs. He has more than eighteen years of experience in building, sustaining, and nurturing successful research and development programs in more than thirty countries. Fair has authored or coauthored more than forty-five peer reviewed articles on virology, public health, emergency response, and virus hunting in disease “hotspots” around the world. In addition, he works as an international outbreak responder and has been highlighted by 60 Minutes, the cover of the Washington Post, CNN, Al Jazeera, NPR, Vice News, NBC News, and other media outlets.

Dr. Fair currently serves as an Emergency Responder with the International Medical Corps; a Senior Fellow at the Scowcroft Institute of International Affairs, Bush School of Government and Public Service at Texas A&M University; a Senior Fellow at the Smithsonian Institution; and as the founder and proprietor of Virion HLTH. He holds a PhD in molecular biology and a Master of Public Health in tropical medicine from Tulane University and a BS in biology/biological sciences from Loyola University, New Orleans.

Zoom

Whatever he is, he is NOT any expert in lungs or supplemental oxygen, that’s for sure if he was quoted in any way accurately.

When people like him state things in such an odd way, it may give people the idea that they don’t have to do what the healthcare professionals recommend when they are told that they need to get noninvasive or invasive ventilation or whatever else the professionals tell them is needed.

He is fortunate that he didn’t suffer worse consequences from his case of COVID-19, but folks have gotten better only to get worse as well. I wish him and everyone good health, but really think these “plague chasers” endanger healthcare providers by going to hotspots. What exactly are they adding to improve science by going to hotspots/epicenters?

Yup. My husband had 4 Zoom interviews in March-April. In his field,
interviews are usually done in person with a seminar. :slight_smile:

His credentials just don’t match his quoted language at all. Or his behavior.

Zion is still limiting visitors closing quite a few popular trails. They may not become as crowded as we fear tho. In the past, they were very many foreign travelers in many national parks. If there are no flights from abroad, there won’t be so many visitors to parks from abroad taking some crowd out.

Anyone else curious to know if others on the plane also got sick? Is anyone tracing them?

If no one else on the plane got sick, I’d hesitate to call that the cause. If others did, it could be important knowledge about how far it spreads on a plane (who sat where).

This is a great example we, at least at the federal level (air travel is a federal matter), have given up on contact tracing after only a few cases of “community spread”. There’s practically no contact tracing of infections due to air travel, unlike in some Asian countries.

But look at all the prescribed protections before flying he took.

On the big CV thread people would say how dare you criticizes is behavior or question why he was flying home.

Personally, I think all air travel should be put on PAUSE.

Of course you think that. Pretty unrealistic. One of our company directors (female) just flew this week and said it was wonderful. Everyone had on masks, the planes were almost empty and she’s never seen them so clean.

I’m flying tomorrow for a discretionary trip. I’m nervous but looking forward to getting away.

@MomofWildChild I hope you flight goes well tomorrow and you don’t experience any airline shenanigans.

After Monday’s news reports about overcrowded United flights, they have since taken down their social distancing policy and are now promising to notify passengers 48 hours in advance if their flight is going to be more than 70% full so they have an option to change their flights. Step in the right direction but if I absolutely have to fly again any time soon, I’ll take Southwest.

The owners of the businesses I work for (used to work for?) just left Chicago to hang out at the beach in Florida for a week.

No idea if they are staying with friends or AirBnB or what.

They seem completely unafraid, or perhaps just very comfortable with the risk.

@momofsenior1 Thanks. I rarely fly anything but Southwest. This is a 80 minute flight and I suspect the plane will be quite empty. Florida has not yet lifted the ban on private rentals (condos, houses) so our destination should be uncrowded as well. Hotels are open. Where we are staying has not been occupied for a few months and there are stringent cleaning protocols. It is a condo.