What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

I’m so sorry to hear this and am hoping your symptoms were mild. Do you mind sharing whether you and your traveling partner were masked during your entire time in the airport and on the plane, and if so, what type of mask you were wearing? We will traveling to visit kiddo across the country later this month, and trying to gather as many data points as possible.

At this point, each person needs to assess the risk for themselves and make travel decisions accordingly (and really any large-group decisions - sporting events, concerts, weddings, festivals, going to Target, church, etc.)

If you choose to fly or cruise or tour with large groups, assume that you may get it and bring tests and OTC meds in case they are needed. I know someone who cruised recently and tested positive after they got home and also someone who drove to a golf tournament and tested positive when they got home. Both are vaccinated and have very mild symptoms, and say they have no regrets about taking the chance to travel. So far no one else in their respective groups has tested positive.

2 Likes

Regular mask not a KN95, I think this would have helped but it would mean that you can’t also eat or drink on the airplane. We went to Europe and not many people were masking. There was also crowds at the airport. I think you just have to factor this possibility in when traveling.

1 Like

Just added Paris to my trip, I’m changing things a bit. Last time I booked to go to Paris in 2020, I like to visit Louvre and D’Orsay Museums.

3 Likes

D’Orsay is our favorite. I’d go back just for that museum.

2 Likes

Whenever we visit Paris, we always purchase fast track skip the line tickets at many attractions including the Louvre and the Musée d’Orsay.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I will do that.

Have heard reports from people who went to large events, where the events themselves were outdoor.

Those multi day events where people commonly did indoor dining (after hours, not part of the events) seemed to have a lot of COVID-19 spread. Also, those were where the people traveled to often by airplane and stayed in indoor hotels (windows do not open, room doors to indoor hallways).

But day events, or those where after hours activities were outdoors (e.g. camping) seemed to have little or no COVID-19 spread.

Not really a surprise.

1 Like

Daughters made their annual pilgrimage to Newport Folk Festival last weekend. Attended all 3 days, it’s been over a week, and no COVID as yet (fingers crossed). Yeah, it’s outside, but there are lots of people.

3 Likes

They got to see Joni Mitchell’s return? If so color me envious!

1 Like

They certainly did–and Paul Simon was the surprise act the day before.

2 Likes

We just got back from a week in London followed by a 12 day British Isles cruise. While in London and on the cruise we wore KN95 masks indoors. In London we emphasized outdoor dining until it got too hot after which we either got takeout or did quick bites indoors. We felt in a distinct minority wearing masks.

When we boarded our cruise in Southampton, they handed out a letter announcing a requirement to wear masks indoors when not actively eating or drinking, or in your own stateroom. No one enforced that, but I was still pleasantly surprised by the percent of people wearing masks in elevators, shows, buses, and tenders. I’m guessing maybe 60% in those situations – more compliance earlier in the cruise, less as the cruise progressed. And of course the bars and lounges were full of maskless people. We avoided those settings but we did eat in the dining rooms for most dinners. We felt most at risk then. During the last dinner we asked to be moved shortly after we were seated because someone nearby started coughing with a very congested sounding cough.

A large section of cabins in the deck directly below us was set aside for quarantine purposes. So every day we’d peer over our balcony to see how many people were hanging out on the balconies right below ours. Those cabins were clearly filling up as the cruise progressed.

We got home last night and tested negative this morning. I know we’re not out of the woods yet and we’ll test again for the next 2 days.

7 Likes

I don’t understand people who are wearing masks voluntarily in airports but keeping them below their noses. So weird.

12 Likes

I guess the masks will still help protect others to some degree while they’re talking.

I have quite a few flights planned in the next 3 months. What are people finding regarding masking at airports and on planes?

Depends on where the plane is going and which airport. My family found very few wearing masks on flights to Europe. But we’ve found some cities where there’s loads of people wearing masks outside (US).

2 Likes

I flew almost 2 weeks ago and very few people had masks. I wore mine.

Spent the week at Disney. I wore my mask when I was indoors in line for rides, but that was about it. Tested every couple of days since I got home and now day 5, still negative. I am going to go ahead and get my booster before my next trip in September.

3 Likes

Interesting to hear about Disney. Going in November for a trip that was postponed from last Christmas. Standing in packed lines is giving me pause. I’m hoping to get the new moderna booster in September before I go to Disney as well as an October trip to the Alabama/Tennessee game.

Fortunately all flights are all domestic and under 3 hours. I’ll be wearing masks on the airport and on the planes.

1 Like

I traveled last week and returned this week. Airports were Denver, Dallas (Love), Savannah and Nashville. Very few people wearing masks, on the planes or in airports. Some food prep people had them on, and the TSA people.

We flew to Oahu over the 4th of July weekend, and about 40-50% of pax on the plane had masks. Ditto travel to Bay Area. During a more recent trip to Omaha - not so much, but on the way back to Seattle many more were masked than on the way there.