What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

Going to do the same. Not sure if it’s better to know that it’s been left behind when you arrive.

I’m actually ok with a bag being delayed. But I’m not ok if they make me check my carryon and THAT one gets lost. That’s why I asked if anyone has experience with a carrier making them check their carryon.

1 Like

Since the new flight is too early for you to be helpful for your brother, what’s wrong with Uber?

1 Like

This sounds like bad news…

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/american-airlines-flights-cut-november/index.html

1 Like

Well, that explains it!

Other than familial expectations, nothing.

1 Like

Have not had issues with carry-ons being weighed, but some airlines, particularly European budget carriers like Easy Jet, are notorious for strictly enforcing carry-on size limits. We bought a new carry-on for a trip to the Isle of Man earlier this year because the measurements matched exactly.

Even if everything you do is by the book (size, weight) you might still have to check it. I was just on a domestic flight and it was full, and there was no more room for carryon luggage so the last few people to board had to gate check. It was Southwest and since 2 bags are free there usually isn’t a problem, but no one (including me) wants to risk losing luggage so everyone is doing carryon. Last year I took this same trip and checked two bags, and one was lost for 3 days (of a 7 day trip) so I packed less and carried it on.

There was a story recently about someone heading from LAX to Spain, through Canada, and they had to check their carryon because of a space problem. Of course it was lost. My daughter came back from England in June and checked one and carried one on. No problem with either arriving with her (direct flight, United).

I recommend packing an emergency pack that you can pull out of your carry on luggage with medication, one change of clothing, a toothbrush; I used the travel cubes and had one, on top, that had what I absolutely needed and could toss into my canvas bag if they’d made me check the bag.

3 Likes

D2’s friend just got his lost bag this past weekend 1 month after he returned from Italy. He never had the bag the whole trip, but it did make it back to him now. D2’s other friend that went to Spain in June still has never seen her checked bag again.

We’re flying Air France, Aer Lingus, and Swiss and some are also flying Delta. Delta usually doesn’t make you check if you are FF. But I haven’t flown the Europeans in a while.
I actually didn’t buy a larger suitcase as it was 1.5 inches over the diameter. Didn’t want to get stuck.
I could see the cheapo airlines being strict but the others shouldn’t weigh the carry ons.

That’s a great option. I will do that.

We are definitely putting a little more clothing in our carry on bag than we did in the past.

I really haven’t had issues with carry-on capacity on international flights.

Happens all the time on domestic flights - United in particular and sometimes Delta will say “Everyone in boarding group 4 must check their carry-on bag” and they won’t let you down the jet bridge unless you do.

1 Like

Yep, clothing and cash will get you far. What bugs me, are the people who really do take too much. Then they use more than their portion of the overhead forcing everyone else to figure it out. Or worse, the ones who are seated in the back of the plane but use overhead that isn’t over their head, so the guy who has the seat has no room. I usually board as soon as possible. Some of our flights we are towards the rear though.

All except Delta have hand baggage weight limits of 7-12kg for flights to or within Europe. Check their web sites.

In other words, they can weigh your bag and can require you to check it if it exceeds the limit, although it does not necessarily mean that they always will.

Yes, most European carriers are 10-12 kilos limit for carryon . But I’ve flown forever and these weight limits have been around a long time. Can’t remember ever having to weigh my carryon. But have had to make it fit in a steel frame.
Just trying to get on the ground reporting from someone who’s flown recently.
Few carry on bags with wheels will weigh within these limits. The bags themselves weigh 5-9 lbs.

1 Like

DD is flying Lufthansa on Friday. From what I’ve heard they do check the weight of the carryons so she is flying with the smallest suitcase we have that fits the requirements

1 Like

Use a backpack to eliminate the weight of the wheels and allow it to squish into spaces that may be “just a little too small”.

1 Like

We went to France in June on Delta. They didn’t weigh carryons.

1 Like

I have one of those Swissgear backpacks, it’s good. I like it. But it won’t hold enough for this trip. Fingers crossed I arrive with the basics.

I’ve flown Lufthansa perhaps half a dozen times over the last five years or so – they weighed my carry-on once.

1 Like