What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

Amen, @Htas . With checked bags both expensive and likely to get lost, people are going overboard with carry on, some I believe surpassing what they’re allowed.

When we flew to Calgary last month, space near my seat was never available (2 flights to, 2 flights from). I ended up forcing my bag under the seat in front of me, which made sitting uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Most airline overhead bins in economy class have space for significantly fewer than one allowed-size bag per passenger (probably about two bags per three passengers in many cases). Hence, getting space for your bag in situations like now when checking bags costs money and increases the risk of loss or delay can become a highly competitive situation. Poor arrangement of bags and putting additional personal items there further reduces overhead bin capacity for allowed-size bags, increasing the level of competition for bin space.

Some newer aircraft (e.g. Boeing aircraft with Space Bins, Airbus aircraft with Airspace XL bins) have overhead bins in economy class that can hold approximately one allowed-size bag per passenger. However, they do depend on passengers putting the bags in a certain way to maximize the number that will fit.

I wanted a new (and lighter) carryon, so when I was at the store I checked on the limit for SWA. It said 24". NO WAY. That size was huge. I have a 20" bag and it barely fits.

Of the 6 flights I’ve taken recently, I think only 2 were on the newer planes, and maybe, maybe a 24" case would fit but definitely not on the older planes. Also, that 24" doesn’t include the wheels, the handle, anything in a pocket (the bags I was looking at were hard sided, no pockets). It was the wheels that would have done me in.

Daughter’s BF has an Osprey that is sort of a cross between a backpack and a duffel. He really likes it.

LOL brother hasn’t bothered to let me know, but his email included his flight reservation number so I just looked it up and he did change from 6:15am to noon. Yay!

7 Likes

We flew a small plane in Costa Rica once and they weighed each person and their weight individually. I like that idea, although I am sure some larger folks would not.

1 Like

Do you know if it’s still relevant to upload Covid vaccination card on Lufthansa? DD travels today and we just noticed that you can upload this information but not sure if it’s still relevant

It presumably depends on what the destination requires in this respect.

2 Likes

Italy

For Italy, perhaps these may help:

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

But don’t forget to check (a) what requirements any transit countries may have, and (b) what requirements there may be to return to the US.

1 Like

Thank you!

LOL, walking on Shelter Island heard a wife tell her husband as they passed, “I told you they got COVID on their cruise.” So just wanted to share random observation.

My mom’s geriatrician and her family got covid on their Disney Alaska cruise. They just returned. Just had a nice telehealth visit.

One friend just got back from a Baltic cruise where she and her husband both got sick. He was sick during the cruise, but she didn’t get sick until the end of the cruise. They didn’t think it was covid, believing it was “bronchitis”.

Another friend was on a Rhine river cruise, where so many people were sick at the end, that none could find hotel rooms in that city. She said Viking reserved all the rooms for their passengers, so the AmaWaterways passengers were forced to walk the streets looking for rooms.

Flew to Denver on Wednesday with no issues at all. Already have communications from United Airlines that the return flight on Monday might be canceled due to thunderstorms forecast in the northeast. DH says we should wait to see what the weather will be. I’m convinced they will cancel at any opportunity. Stay tuned.

Good luck. I hope you have better luck than we did.

1 Like

Just thought I’d chime in and say that our secretary’s D and her H just got back from a Disney cruise. It’s been several days and both seem fine. Just thought I’d throw that out there since it seems from reading this thread that it’s 100% certain that you’ll get sick if you go on a cruise! I was pretty surprised they were fine actually.

5 Likes

This post makes me sad - I can’t decide if people simply just don’t give a damn about others, or if they’re so delusional that they aren’t taking precautions, or what…all I know is it truly makes me want to continue being “safer at home” - I’ve flown 9 times (one was a one way), since Covid days, and have done everything possible to keep my distance, sanitize, and I have tested before, and after each flight. I have not gotten Covid. I am vaxxed and have had one booster.

I really want people in general, and travelers specifically to stop being selfish.

4 Likes

Will they let you leave earlier? Take a flight to another airport?

My father taught me to just keep moving in the direction you want to go. East? Go to Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston. Once you are moving they are responsible for getting you home.

1 Like

Can’t leave earlier. Going to another airport? We would still need to get to our home airport…that’s where our car is. Plus nearest other airports also have thunderstorms forecast at the same time.

My S has flown a lot during covid and D has flown a bunch of flights as well. Neither has gotten Covid but both are very careful about always maskung and changing masks are appropriate. I hope they are able to stay Covid-free.

2 Likes