What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

The incubation period is a bit greats than 24 hours. Hope you stay well.

2 Likes

:dart: Thank you.

3 Likes

:dart: Thank you.

2 Likes

I disagree wholeheartedly- :broken_heart:

1 Like

As is your right. Just don’t expect the rest of the world to go long with your beliefs. And no, the rest of the world is not made up of uncaring jerks. As stated before, most people don’t think covid should be feared anymore and they behave accordingly, both in travel and other aspects of their lives.

7 Likes

Actually we haven’t been wearing for a while now, not just yesterday, at the senior center too.

I think the fear right now is we may get mental health problem down in the future because of this COVID.

Whose fear? I doubt the general public is worried about that. I understand there is a study that’s been discussed on this board but I haven’t heard anyone in real life raise any concerns about that. In fact I don’t know anyone in real life who worries about long covid though many here seem highly focused on it.

4 Likes

Our governor just announced a push for spending more money on mental health, I think after keeping kids from school because of COVID.

Except those who have it (like me, apparently).

3 Likes

The euro is now less than the dollar, unbelievable.

3 Likes

Best time to go to Europe

1 Like

I am living my life, but more cautiously. I attend events at high risk environment based on how important they are to me because I know I would be at risk of contracting Covid, and I weigh if it is worth it to me. I also will avoid going to any high risk events before a very important event to me.
I will attend a graduation party or wedding indoor.
I won’t attend in person trade conference even though I used to enjoy them.
I will fly and visit foreign countries.
I won’t attend indoor concerts or shows.
I will get together with my family and friends.
I won’t attend meet up dinner with people I haven’t met before.

1. List item
4 Likes

Wow, so apparently if we change our habits in response to an ongoing pandemic and don’t live the same way we did in 2018, then we just aren’t living. It’s so interesting to know that if we did “want to keep living” we’d be happy to risk getting Covid and pass it on to others who also want to keep living. I’ll have to give that some thought.

“But we’d rather die young and actually live than grow into old age having done absolutely nothing.”

Well, Creekland I’m afraid that I’ve left it too late to die young myself but on reflection I guess I’m different in that I’m definitely not ok with either of my kids dying young because they want to go on lots of vacations.

Actually, it’s not dying of Covid that worries me as much as developing long Covid or early dementia or other disabilities which would require my spouse and my kids to carry the burden of having to spend years watching me decline. From what I’ve seen it’s hard for families to skip through lots of carefree adventures when they have to care for a seriously impaired spouse or parent and it’s hard to finance those carefree trips when paying for round-the-clock care in a ALF or a memory unit.

So I guess I’ll just have to accept that I’m not living my best life here in my house with the big water view and only dining in restaurants offering outdoor seating and wearing my KN95 while running errands in enclosed public spaces while surrounded by folks who have abandoned their masks.

It is pretty exciting to see what new mutations the Covid virus will develop as a result of so many people living their precaution free lives though.

3 Likes

@creekland has been a very valued and thoughtful contributor to this topic.

I don’t think what she or anyone else here who has made decisions on what to do or not do after this pandemic has done so without a great deal of research and contemplating.

Personally I don’t feel that we are quite back to where we were before this pandemic. Mostly because that carefree no thought of doing things isn’t there anymore.

But to all of the contributors who have posted here, I think that all of us have a lot of knowledge on covid and have really thought and “talked” about how we are navigating this new world.

Everyone has to make their own choices. And we should respect those choices. Because I promise that everyone here is very respectful and knowledgeable about the risk, trying to stay careful and not spreading though out the community

20 Likes

Some types of travel can be more problematic in terms of COVID-19-related issues than most daily activity because:

• If your travel involves methods that are crowded and shared by the general public (airplanes, trains, etc.), then some risks of getting COVID-19 may be more difficult to mitigate.
  • Your possibly costly travel may be wasted if you test positive and cannot do or are not allowed to do the thing you travel for.
  • If you test positive, you may be stuck quarantining at the away destination running up hotel and food delivery bills while not being able to enjoy the away destination. You will also be away from your usual medical providers if you need them.

The average age in the US is 38 years old. Many younger citizens have determined, accurately, that covid poses very little risk to them, and that those who are more vulnerable have adequate means now to minimize their risk if they choose to do so with masks, Evushield, Paxlovid, seclusion and other treatments.

1 Like

Why the need to compare Jobluers to Creeklanders? If you’re happy with the life you’re living, that’s what counts.

We’re wanderers. We love exploring. When we did come down with Covid we avoided all contact with others, so didn’t spread it. The couple days before we came down with it we weren’t around others (other than FIL) either - granted by chance for that one.

MIL died from Alzheimers robbing her of her last decade or so. The biggest regret FIL has? That they didn’t do more traveling and things when they were young and could have done it.

My son had long Covid for over a year before Moderna helped him out. Another son works in a hospital and has seen a lot of horrid Covid cases, not all ending in death. I lost an uncle (pre vax). H and I lost a relatively close friend roughly our age.

There are many risks out there from driving to scuba to idiots with guns, or, my dad died of heart disease and my mom died of cancer.

As I stated before, we Creeklanders chose to keep living our lives, post vaccine and boosters. I think that’s the best we’re going to get with Covid. It’s not going away and we, personally, like to change our view - often.

I’m fine with whatever others choose for themselves. That includes your choice to continue enjoying your view from your house. Different people prefer different things for their best life and that’s ok.

23 Likes

Thank you @Joblue - you spoke the words I was unable to formulate because my chin was on the floor.

Going back to “not living my life” now :rofl:

3 Likes

Should I be flattered that everyone else compares their lives to Creeklanders? :sunglasses: It seems to be an honor…

1 Like