What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

I guess I’m the outlier. We have 26 inch and 30 inch bags.

2 Likes

We also have 26” bags. I don’t like to worry about everything fitting, especially if we buy souvenirs. We are strong people I guess. We haven’t had any trouble carrying them, even up 3-4 flights of stairs. They usually weigh in around 25-35 pounds.

2 Likes

It is official: Canada will drop its Covid restrictions on travel next month! Yay. And Amtrak is going to run the Vancouver route again… time to visit beautiful BC for us! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

How is it possible we haven’t talked travel in 5 days - lol.

Anyone want to guess what state Europe will be in next summer? We had a bike trip planned to Italy in 2020, and we know what happened then.
Now we are thinking of rebooking, but I’m kind of worried about Europe overall. Thoughts?

It will be cheap and full of Americans, even more so than this year. Just go in the summer when gas heating isn’t needed…

3 Likes

Just got back from 2 weeks in Scotland, been home a week, no COVID, so I hope we dodged a bullet. There was no masking to be seen, except where required, like the interiors of Edinburgh Castle. We did mask up in air terminals and on the planes, there was maybe 10% at most wearing masks.

Then again, we have 4 vaccinations and had COVID 3 months ago, so I guess we were protected as much as could be expected.

4 Likes

Yes, vaccination + recent infection with a variant that is probably similar to the current one probably makes you at least temporarily well protected.

Gosh, Southwest is advertising some fares as low as $29 one way!! :hushed:

I have a trip later this month for work. My sister is flying in the week before that trip to visit. I decided to get my 3rd booster this Friday thinking what if my sister picks up Covid on her flight? She would bring it to our house and risk my trip for work. This just dawned on me. So many moving parts to avoid a messed up trip! Hoping my vaccine this week will protect me for when she visits the week of the 17th and when I travel the week of the 24th.

6 Likes

I’m glad you mentioned SW’s sale. I had completely forgotten to look. Booking flights to Puerto Rico in Feb now for just $122… and quite happy about it considering they were $400ish not long ago when I looked!

3 Likes

I’ll send you a bill for my commission on that point of sale!!! :wink:

4 Likes

Maybe the Southwest’s deals will push Alaska to announce a real sale. :slight_smile:

Wow, no crystal ball was needed! Alaska announced some sort of a fare sale for flights January 5 - March 15. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have Alaska upgrade codes that are going to turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight on NYE. :slight_smile: Am thinking of some warm places…

5 Likes

It’s been a while since I have been on here, wanted to report on my trip to Disney. Got the new vaccine on 9/8 traveled to Disney 9/12. Was good with my mask the first couple of days. By 9/16 stopped wearing the mask. DH also vaccinated on 9/8 joined me on 9/16 and we stayed until 9/25. Early evening 9/26 started getting a sore throat. Tested negative. Symptoms continued and finally tested positive on 9/29. Husband tested positive on 10/1. He has had less symptoms, both of us sneezed like crazy for the first week. D1 who was with us is sick, but negative (she had Covid end of June). We are both still testing positive. Oh well, 2 weeks at Disney I was bound to catch something.

I’m sorry to hear this. On Friday, H & I will be 2 weeks post our booster shot, and I figured my omicron shield would be full strength. From your post, if you got sick symptom-wise on the 26th, that you were probably exposed right around or just after your 2 week mark?

Do you think it helped? Were your symptoms just a sore throat/sneezing? Most people I know who got omicron this fall were pretty sick with cough/fever/fatigue.

I guess on the bright side, you didn’t come down with it until you got home.

1 Like

Yes, I assume it was right around the 2 week mark. Since I have never had Covid, I don’t have much to compare it to, but mostly it feels like a cold, stuffy nose, sore throat, a little cough and sneezing. I haven’t been wiped out, DH has had even less, mostly stuffy nose and sneezing. I too am thankful it happened after the trip, that was my goal! We are going on a cruise in a week, so at least I know I am in the clear!

Looking back, I wish I wore my mask more. I have traveled to Disney many times during the pandemic and I was good with my mask. This time I wasn’t good at all. I am glad I got the vaccine, it had been almost 10 months since my last vaccination.

3 Likes

Thanks! I hope you feel better! A cold I can handle. The cough is what scares me personally. A little throat clearing, ok. What I’ve heard around the office, not ok.

My last booster was Oct 22nd so it’s been awhile. I didn’t qualify for the other booster

1 Like

Two first class tix to Hawaii secured. :sunglasses: Covid and winter storms, stay out of my way!

18 Likes

H leaves in 8 days for his first business trip since Covid. He has not missed traveling especially since his company does not pay for business class. He is going to London and Hamburg. Unfortunately he has to leave on a Saturday since they have customers starting first thing Monday. The only saving grace for the trip is that he will get points on United which should put us at 3 free tickets to Europe for future use.

3 Likes

Lufthansa bans activated AirTags (or similar devices) in checked bags.

2 Likes