What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

Before I plan any trip, I try out the rental car at Costco for that location. If it’s ridiculous pricing, then it’s a no go for me.

1 Like

Rented a car for 11 days in Germany thru Costco. Biggest change since last rental (about 5 years ago) was all the categories had a kilometer restriction. Basically 300/km per day X #of days rented. It was about 1/3 the price to add an additional day than to risk a .50 cent charge per km if we went over.

We arrived at Enterprise in FRA. No line. (the line for SIXTH) was massive as well as for Europcar. The agent checking us out exclaimed he was thrilled we knew how to drive a manual since he was low on automatics. I think he made mention just to be sure we really DID know how to drive a stick. He upgraded us to a minivan, took the extra day off the contract and removed the mileage restriction. Add to that the fact that the Euro is .97 to the $$ and the 10 days comes to about $450. It probably helped that I speak perfect German :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Germany had 9 euro monthly transportation passes over the summer. We were able to take buses and trains everywhere for a total of $18 US. I believe they did it to encourage tourism and cut down on gas consumption. It was wonderful. We felt safe as they are still requiring N95 (or similar) masks.

5 Likes

I have heard stories from people who got COVID-19 while traveling and lost the (rest of the) trip while not being able to return home because they had to stay in a hotel room somewhere for two weeks.

I’m hoping to get a bit of advice on shoes for my upcoming river cruise.

The recommendation is for waterproof boots. I am bringing a pair of comfortable athletic shoes so I have that covered.

I walked 3 miles in wet grass to test all 3 :woman_shrugging:

I have a pair of sneaker boots pikolinos. Comfortable but water resistant not waterproof. Feet were slightly wet.

Pair of waterproof ECCO boots. Definitely waterproof but they are beige and do not go with my practically all black wardrobe.

Pair of waterproof sorel boots. Definitely waterproof, not as comfortable as the other 2 but still comfortable.

I’m torn. Big decisions here :joy:

I haven’t been here for a while, but here’s an update on my recent travels to the UK and Ireland.

On NYC-LHR-NYC flights, I’d say about 1/4-1/3 of pax wore masks. But in the actual airports, almost no one wore masks. So it appears that many people put masks on only for flights.

We also did a short flight RT from London to Cork. I was one of a handful of people wearing a mask. So maybe people aren’t too concerned about masks on short flights, or the primarily Irish and British passengers weren’t concerned.

We were mainly in London but Covid seems not to exist there anymore. I wore a mask when I was in a busy place and every time I rode the tube. I’m not exaggerating to say that I was almost always the only one who did, no matter how packed the train was. Again, is it a mindset that people are over Covid, or that it’s just a short journey so it doesn’t matter?

With winter coming on, it will be interesting to see if masks come out again.

4 Likes

I just came back from a Mediterranean cruise with my extended family and a solo visit of Lisbon. The ship only required vaccinations and temperature check prior to boarding. No masks were required while onboard. We went on daily tours with people on the boat. My family has been back for 5 days now and so far Covid free.
I toured Lisbon by myself - few tours with people I didn’t know and ate indoors. I sat in the front on flights and had my mask off while eating and drinking, which was a lot of time. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be fine.
Everyone from my family had a booster and flu shot before we left.
I have 4 more trips coming up for 2023. This is making up for 2 years of staying home.

6 Likes

We spent two weeks in Scotland last month and I agree—the mindset seems to be COVID is over. We are vaxxed and boostered, wore masks in terminals and on planes, and did not come down with COVID after we got home. We only wore masks where it was requested, such as while viewing the Scottish crown jewels in Edinburgh. Did not see a single mask in any restaurant.

Ironically, we went to western Canada in June–at the time they were very strict—proof of vaccine required to enter, etc. At the time masks were required in Canadian air terminals, planes, and on buses. Yet we came down with COVID the day after coming home.

Guess it’s a throw of the dice, luckily our vaccines must have helped as our cases in June were very mild, dear wife was asymptomatic (would not have tested if I had not had a chest cough).

1 Like

However, getting COVID-19 in June probably boosted your immunity for the trip in September.

4 Likes

There are some factors to consider:

1. As a traveler from overseas, getting COVID-19 can be rather costly: your trip is ruined, and you may face substantial time and cost isolating in a hotel room in a foreign country. In contrast, for people who live there, getting COVID-19 is less costly, since they can recuperate at home. People who live there are also more familiar with accessing medical care, food delivery, etc. if that is needed. So it is not surprising that a traveler from overseas may want to be more careful to avoid getting COVID-19 than people who live in the places that they are traveling to. (Of course, the medically vulnerable are likely to be highly concerned no matter what, but probably most people are not (or at least do not see themselves) in that category.)
  2. Given the recent waves of COVID-19, people who had COVID-19 recently may at least temporarily be “safe” (getting reinfected within 3 months is rare, and getting reinfected 3-6 months after is less likely than after more than 6 months), so they may not bother as much with masks when not required or requested, at least during the months after infection.
1 Like

@deb922 I recently changed my name to Imelda :wink: - kidding, but I :heart: shoes - but I would always go for comfort. I would pick the Ecco boots. I highly doubt the locals would even notice the color mismatch. I think mismatch is “in.” :slight_smile:

I traveled to Stockholm and Berlin in November, and I don’t think I needed anything other than my trusted pair of Blondo skater style boots. If you are still in a shopping mode, check this brand. Comfortable and water resistant.

3 Likes

I think I’m on team Ecco if you can stand the beige and black. I would skip the pikolinos since wet feet are more miserable than non-matchy feet!

1 Like

Above post meant for @deb922, but didn’t link it correctly.

1 Like

This was once very true, but now that testing is no longer required before returning to the US, I believe that the implications have changed. I noticed on my flight back from Europe that there were several people with coughs on my flight and one can just avoid testing if they are having mild symptoms until making it back stateside. I suspect that this is happening every single day.

1 Like

However, countries vary in whether you may be allowed out of your hotel (including to travel to exit the country) if you test positive.

But then, if the countries do not have some sort of arrival testing requirement, that may encourage people to avoid testing even if they suspect that they may have COVID-19.

1 Like

I have friends from overseas who are spending several weeks vacation in the USA.

She tested positive for COVID, but since her symptoms were mild, they didn’t let it interrupt their plans.

So anyone they came in contact with (restaurants, tours, hotels, etc.) was exposed.

Cautionary tale for anyone who is doing their best to avoid getting sick…

3 Likes

There are almost no arrival testing requirements throughout Europe at this point. Some people will not test if they are only showing mild symptoms and just come home because of the financial implications of getting stuck in a quarantine.

This is so upsetting to me. I’m sure it’s happening left & right, but it’s such a selfish way to behave.

4 Likes

Probably happens a lot in the US with people who are not traveling.

4 Likes

It’s definitely happening. We’ve been on several “Covid flights,” my new nickname for flights with many hacking coughers, this year. Sure enough, after our recent trip, I got a phone alert from CA dept of health that I’d been in close contact with someone who tested positive. It had to be in the airport or on the plane, but we were double masked. Fortunately, we’ve been negative.

7 Likes