What do the random emails from different Deans of Admissions mean?

As of right now, I am currently a junior in high school, but I’ve managed to set up my education course in a way that’ll let me graduate in 2024. In both my personal and school account, I’ve received emails from a couple of dean of admissions, one even out of state despite having not applied for anything yet. I’m simply wondering, is this good, bad, or just something that’s randomly auto-generated?

(I’m sorry if this isn’t the right category to place this in, I wasn’t sure where it would fit best.)

It’s marketing. Pure and simple. Read nothing else into it.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t read anything into this…at all.

But I will ask…is it really in your better interest to graduate from HS a year early?

1 Like

Yes, I would say so. My home life isn’t great right now, and doing this would help set up for a better future sooner, which I’m confident I can go through with. And if things change throughout the year, I have the option to opt out. Thank you for the concern, though; it’s much appreciated.

That makes sense, and I’m sorry you’re dealing with that.

One thing to think about is whether you’d enjoy a fourth year of high school abroad. You could finish your home school’s graduation requirements and apply to colleges this year, but also apply to programs like AFS for a “super-senior” year away from home. If you then decide to opt for the year abroad, most colleges will let you defer for a year in order to do that. You’d get another year with high-school-aged peers, a supportive host family, and a once-in-a-lifetime enriching experience, while already having your college plan set and still getting away from home a year early. And some of your coursework during that year would likely earn you college credit, if you take AP/IB classes. Just a potentially best-of-both-worlds option to consider.

But yes, re: your original question, the emails probably result from your having taken a standardized test - that’s usually what puts you on radar for college marketing. But it doesn’t mean they have any special interest in you, beyond your having landed on a list that they purchased.

1 Like

They mean nothing. Don’t read anything into them, they don’t mean that you are likely to get into that particular college.

I’m sorry you’re in a situation that’s not ideal. I will note that I had the option to graduate a year early and was also in a not ideal home situation. I stuck it out in high school, and because of that was able to complete my undergrad in 2.5 years and law school in 2.5 years and was 23 when I started at BigLaw with no student loans. I would just encourage you to think of the long game here, but ultimately you have to do what you have to do and what is right for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.