What East Coast colleges are similar to Lewis & Clark?

I’m looking for colleges that are similar to Lewis & Clark on the East Coast for my D. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

1 Like

Connecticut College, Bard, Skidmore.

3 Likes

Hobart and William Smith?

1 Like

Similar to Lewis and Clark in what ways?

3 Likes

Conn College was my first thought. Maybe Dickinson too.

Depends in part whether proximity to a city is an aspect of the similarity being sought, or if you’re just looking for schools that are similar in social and academic “vibe.”

1 Like

A lot of people applying to Bennington were also applying to Lewis and Clark.

Check out Colleges that Change Lives (website). Clark U. in Worcester MA for example.

Goucher?

thanks for the responses so far! I’m looking for colleges with a similar vibe in academics and socially to Lewis & Clark, and without Greek life.

1 Like

I’d say Skidmore, Connecticut College and Wheaton.

3 Likes

I would look at Ursinus (another one of the Colleges That Change Lives).

Another school that may be closer in size is Stonehill in Massachusetts.

Both are near larger metro area and have a reputation for friendly students and no Greek life.

Maybe Wheaton College in Massachusetts.

The Fiske guide To Colleges notes that Wheaton College offers easy train access to Providence, Rhode Island as wellas to farther away Boston, Mass.

Wheaton is very liberal and has a large gay community.

Wheaton is also on the Colleges that Change Lives site:

College Profiles – Colleges That Change Lives (ctcl.org)

Washington college in Maryland, Ursinus in Pennsylvania .

1 Like

The Wheaton on the Colleges That Change Lives website is the one in Illinois though, so that’s the wrong one.

1 Like

oh yeah! Sorry I was too quick!

1 Like

It also may worth noting that Lewis & Clark itself is not a Colleges That Change Lives school.

That is correct. I do think Lewis & Clark has characteristics in common with some of the Colleges That Change Lives, so I thought that was a good place to find a potentially similar school.

I note Lewis & Clark’s inclusion on this list of colleges for students who want to change the world: Best Colleges for Students Who Want to Change the World

Just for reference some schools that consider LC as peers. Might be dated but is a start. Allegheny College came to mind in my area. I didn’t see anything published by LC.

https://ifx.richmond.edu/research/peers.html

^
Allegheny was my first thought as well, especially for the sciences.

Warren Wilson and UNC Asheville are worth a look as safeties or safe matches. WWC is much smaller than UNCA and most other LACs, but otherwise they have much in common. The academic offerings are solid (most notably creative writing and environmental studies), and UNCA has a fairly rigorous core curriculum.

Asheville is a great city for young people - an energetic, trendy place with easy access to outdoors activities.

https://www.warren-wilson.edu

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.