What is Tuscaloosa like?

I’m in agreement with LucieTheLakie and I currently live in a small rural town with a population of about 2500. But as a teen lived in the Indianapolis area and was accustomed to having a shopping ‘region’ with indoor malls and accompanying strip malls and outlots with restaurants and specialty stores in each corner of the city, so if you couldn’t find what you wanted, you just drove another 20-30 miles to find another entire shopping area.

While B’ham is the largest city in Alabama, many of the students coming are now from out of state and are used to their own regions. Personally when I think large city - I think New York, LA, Chicago… when I think mid-sized city - I think of places like B’ham

While it may be the largest city in Alabama, if someone is coming from the suburbs of Chicago or even Indianapolis, it’s not going to be what they are accustomed to when they say ‘city’.

We are in the same boat coming from southeastern Florida and the major metropolitan area of West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. That area, to me, is more “city” or urban.

I think of Tuscaloosa (granted we’ve only been there once) as more charming college town. But it seemed like there was plenty of stuff to do, places to eat/shop, etc.

@SOSConcern You can compare Tuscaloosa to other Alabama cities when you say medium to large city. You have to use a national standard because as you said, some are used to large metros. I consider Birmingham a medium city on a national scale. When large city is Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, you have to adjust accordingly. This isn’t a slam but one must have an idea of what to expect.

I like the Bloomington comparison. That’s a good idea for CC. “I’m from the Midwest, what city in my region is the best comparison to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Tallahasse, etc”. Sure that cuts down who can answer because you need to know both areas but it provides a better comparison than just population which can be found on Google.

Yes, that’s exactly it, @Sportsman88.

I certainly meant no disrespect, @SOSConcern! I happen to love small and medium-size cities, but I’ve only lived in Philadelphia and San Diego, and my husband grew up in Los Angeles, so for me (and the folks who classify this stuff), Big City = New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, et al.

Obviously, all these things are relative, but for an out-of-state student, it’s probably most helpful to stick to objective measures and then compare Tuscaloosa (and/or Birmingham and Huntsville) to similar cities you have experience with.

http://www.iweblists.com/us/population/MetropolitanStatisticalAreaPop.html

I will also add the USNWR classifications are truly nutty, so don’t believe them either!

I have lived in Milwaukee for 4 years (south side, quiet suburb, but commute into downtown was not bad), Houston for 2 years. Have lived in AL since 1983.

Atlanta is a metro area, and due to corporate HQRs and major baseball/football teams. Lots of population spread outside Atlanta city limits but considered ‘Atlanta’. For example getting a new stadium built. But is not one of 10 largest US cities (and Philly is 5, right behind Houston). San Diego is #8 so you are right @LucieTheLakie between H and you, you are in big city USA, for sure.

The city of Houston is so big (by square miles) that even though they have major medical and large in so many ways, they are not on the plan for Google Fiber - Austin and Atlanta (among others) are current fiber city, upcoming fiber cities are Nashville, Huntsville AL (will be #10 for Google Fiber) Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham in the south and SE US.

DD in B’ham is so near all the banking and downtown corporate, that her internet speed is super fast.

H and I got out of Houston as quick as we could. Hated the crime, traffic, hot and humid long summers, etc. We were in College Station/Bryan, lived in College Station but I did work in Bryan - which College Station is totally a college town, and may be different now but IMHO Tuscaloosa offers more off campus for students than what is there for TAMU. Everything is ‘far’ in TX, so Waco and Houston (60 and 90 miles away from College Station) for Texans is considered not far. I did attend one semester of classes at U of Houston (while working FT nearer our home in NW Houston) and got a master’s degree at TAMU.

There is a HUGE difference between a flagship in a mid-sized town and one in a ‘rural’ setting (like MS State - which isn’t the state flagship but is a major univ for MS with their vet school there and major engineering programs of study, some through PhD). There is no Macy’s in MS - they have to travel to B’ham.

Until one visits various schools, and determines between what they want to study and what is the best match…

One can get a feel for various schools in their geographic area, and then when they do visit schools of interest outside their geo area, they can often make some associations. For example, nephew was at LSU, and in many ways I saw that campus as somewhat similar to AU. And some commonalities between AU and TAMU - with the ag programs, vet school, etc.

UA is a fun campus, but also offers excellent academic opportunities. Many students get plenty of their ‘necessities’ in the Tuscaloosa area for shopping, but B’ham one hour away offers more for the shopping ‘fix.’

I do understand ‘national standard’ and all, but I am a bit ‘brainwashed’ by the media in AL - April headline “Census: Huntsville state’s fastest growing large metro”. In national standards, the only metro area of size in AL is B’ham. In AL, if your area population is over 400,000, you are considered a large metro area (like Mobile and Huntsville).

It is also like talking about climate…and it depends where you have lived and what you like. Does one eliminate a school due to the climate?

My nephew wasn’t keen on Baton Rouge, but LSU was a great match for his doctoral program. We tolerated Houston until we were able to move on to something better. Some students may dream of certain OOS places, but if you know the various schools in your geographic region first (that are easier to visit and sort out what you like/don’t like). We did campus visits over some years just to gain the experiences and sort out like/don’t like. We as parents have had a lot of experiences in colleges (I have two graduate degrees, and degrees from 3 non-contiguous states and have worked for two universities). We live in a place where people are from all over the country and have gone to a wide diversity of schools - and some of their college-aged students do go to a diversity of colleges.

@Sportsman88 you may be familiar with Bloomington and like various things about the campus and the city.

Tough to compare a city and a University together.

Madison WI is the major city closest to where I grew up - and there are different perspectives of the town and the University. Madison is a mid-sized city in WI (again, on a national standard, Milwaukee would be the only large city in WI; for many demographics - they look at Milwaukee and Madison).Madison WI is a bit unique having the state capitol and the state flagship school there. Austin TX has more going on as a city (along with much larger population), but matches with state flagship and state capitol (although TAMU is the largest university in TX now at their main campus - and probably with their 7 campuses under TAMU System as well). UT has a number of schools in their system UT-D, UTEP, etc.

I prefer to stick to comparing the schools with the particulars a student is looking for (academically - in their degree field, in honors college, various special programs, various opportunities); the social aspects and various outside things of course weigh in with students depending (I saw on CC where one student would not go to a school that didn’t have a good Thai restaurant…or fill in the blank…).

I will stick my neck out and say a majority of students do go to an in-state school (that is very true as the majority of college students are actually community college students; but statistically is probably true for 4 year UG degree plans too).

For OOS schools that have the video tour of campus, that is always a good place to ‘see’ the buildings etc that comprise a campus.

This is what Tuscaloosa is like…

One and Only Tuscaloosa

https://vimeo.com/136747679
https://vimeo.com/136747679

Too Many Trophies

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2wADH-AMSY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2wADH-AMSY

ROLL TIDE!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTdXQyhjifY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTdXQyhjifY

Tuscaloosa Recovery - We are back!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nz4qh7FHEo4