Is Tuscaloosa A College Town?

<p>Hi Everyone!</p>

<p>So 'bama is my number one choice. I love the campus, the academics and of course the football but in the past few weeks I know someone who is going to Georga and Texas so I looked up the schools and it seems like there surronding towns are more vibrant then Tuscaloosa. I know that there is the strip and all that but is it really a college town? I heard people get bored of it quickly. So if any current or former students can ease my (probley un-needed) axiety, Thanks!</p>

<p>I don’t think people get bored with Tuscaloosa. Who says that? (I’m always suspicious when I hear people say, “I heard…”. Who says that? I don’t know of any Bama students who say that. That sounds like BS from non-Bama students who are just assuming that. </p>

<p>Tuscaloosa is too big to be boring. Tuscaloosa is NOT a small town. It’s a medium sized city with a large geographical area. The Strip is only a tiny part of the city…certainly not the only place where students go. </p>

<p>Tuscaloosa retains the “college town” atmosphere because the University is so important to the city, but that’s not to say that it’s boring…not at all.</p>

<p>DustinG, my son is a junior at UA. Prior to attending 'Bama he’d spent his entire life in Honolulu. Big city, perfect weather, gorgeous beaches, year-round recreation, lots of restaurants, entertainment, blah, blah, blah. He too was worried that he’d be bored in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Guess what? He is NEVER bored in Tuscaloosa because, as he put it, “There’s too much to do and not enough time to do it.” He loves UA and is having the time of his life there.</p>

<p>Boredom is a symptom of Imagination Deficit Disorder. ;)</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Boredom is a symptom of Imagination Deficit Disorder</p>

<p>LOL…my mom used to say that people who “get bored” aren’t very smart.</p>

<p>Thank you guys so much. I knew it was a great place but as I am getting closer to my final decision I read a few things about it not being fun but I have heard that you can find so much things in t-town which makes me think that the bored people are just not looking!</p>

<p>There’s certainly no shortage of things to do related to the huge college-aged population. Concerts, lectures, arts and music, museums, football, nightlife, etc. Also, Tuscaloosa outside of UA is a working- and middle-class-family-oriented town. However, sometimes there can be a dearth of things to do for young professionals since Birmingham is so close.</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa isn’t a college town in the sense that there’s only a college and not much else. Tuscaloosa actually has more activities than many cities its size (~100,000 full-time residents) because of UA and the relative lack of nearby cities of the same size. Tuscaloosa is certainly not Atlanta, NYC, or San Francisco, but it still has a large amount of activities to keep one interested. Not a week goes by where I don’t find multiple interesting things to do.</p>

<p>It’s also worth noting that the University of Texas is located in Austin and has 15,000 more students than UA.</p>

<p>You can always drive about 45 minutes and find something going on in Birmingham.</p>