What is your race/ethnicity box

<p>Hi! I have one question for you all. Do I have the right to check the box for Native American if my maternal great grandmother was Cherokee Indian? I've always been compelled to check it, but I have no way to prove it (tribal enrollment number etc.). Should I still list it?</p>

<p>And also, on the common app, they ask if your african american/ black and then give sub categories (U.S., Africa, and Caribbean). I do know that my father was born in Nigeria (so I check Africa) and my grandfather was born in Barbados (so I also check Caribbean), but I'm not sure if I have ancestors from the "slavery days". My last name is however very American (like at number 13 or something in the top last names) so should I also check U.S.? </p>

<p>I know its really sad how they question our ethnicity when we all supposedly come out of Africa anyway >.></p>

<p>^Well, there’s a huge difference in the success levels of black Americans with recent African ancestry and other black Americans, so it sort of makes sense.</p>

<p>Great grandmother is quite distant, but if you consider yourself to be Native American, and if officially whatever percentage you are counts, then you should put it.</p>

<p>If you are completely unaware of any black American relative, you shouldn’t say that you have that ancestry. I mean, I don’t know who any of my white ancestors are, but I obviously have some. Nonetheless, I don’t check that box.</p>

<p>ok thanks =)</p>

<p>Often times, if you check Native American, they’re going to want something like a tribe council number. you’ll have to be a registered member.</p>

<p>“I know its really sad how they question our ethnicity when we all supposedly come out of Africa anyway.”</p>

<p>I don’t think the intent is to “question” the applicant’s ethnicity, but to give the applicant the opportunity to identify in the way that s/he feels most comfortable and is most accurate.</p>

<p>No you shouldn’t check “Native American”, especially if you are not a tribal member. If you claim to be Native American and don’t have any proof, you can get in serious trouble because that’s fraud. So many people claim to be Native American when really, they’re just decedents. There’s a difference. So no, you don’t have the right to check native american. If your grandfather was not enrolled, there’s no way to prove it, even if he was indeed part native american.</p>

<p>^^^This thread is a year and a half old. Do not continue to dig up old threads and comment on them, rather start your own thread to discuss a topic.</p>