What kind of student would not be a good fit for Alabama?

<p>I really appreciate the posts on this thread. Very helpful to hear some details … some of the nitty-gritty details that are extremely helpful to students as they are making their final “where to go to college” decisions!</p>

<p>Sakari, did you ever try to hook up with the opportunities and people affiliated with UA’s Center for Ethics and Social Responsibilty? My son did in several ways and met like - minded people, experienced academic rigor (he’s a NMF), performed community service with impoverished minorities, and worked twice as a teaching assistant in one of CESR’s Honors College courses. He also connected with the Director, Stephen Black (Yale-educated law degree, grandson of former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black), who’s a mover and shaker at UA. </p>

<p><a href=“http://cesr.ua.edu”>http://cesr.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Sakari, thanks for sharing, and especially your attitude of not condemning those who didn’t have the same experience. I find it interesting that you attempted to reach out and be involved in the city aspect. Since I had no car and never lived off campus, I paid little attention to the city during my student days. Of course, it was a MUCH smaller city and campus back then. It was still a big campus, but 10,000 students instead of 30,000! Please don’t be too discouraged by the glass recycling. We have little glass recycling in Alabama because there is no company to buy the glass and use it - at least close enough to justify the freight cost. There used to be an outfit in Chattanooga but they closed a number of years ago.</p>

<p>I learned a long time ago that in the South, it’s not what you know, it’s who. But really, that’s true everywhere.</p>

<p>Sakari,</p>

<p>You’re an Alabama resident and you’re Asian. </p>

<p>For you, you may be ready to go elsewhere! And, unfortunately UA doesn’t yet have enough Asian students. </p>

<p>Also, even though you’re a NMF, you’re at a disadvantage for Study Abroad because instate students aren’t given the same amount that the OOS students are given (a complaint of mine!). OOS students get about $12k per semester that they can use for tuition, travel, housing, etc…while the instate kids are only getting about $4,500…the difference is significant.</p>

<p>Best wishes as you move on with your life. </p>

<p>malanai–Yes, I did two initiatives through the CESR (SaveFirst and Every Move Counts) for two years. Did community service and was able to secure various internships. And, as mom2collegekids said, there were other aspects of my experience that might not necessarily apply. For example, there is very little community by way of Asian Americans, as well, and I did deal with some race issues in some classes/in some of the organizations I was in. But, knowing that I want to go into law now, I’m definitely ready to move on and make things happen elsewhere. :)</p>

<p>Edit: Also, Target does have glass recycling. Essentially what I did was I talked to the recycling center and got a huge bin to hold glass and begged a friend to drive me to the Target every week. (UA Recycling wouldn’t do it, but they did encourage us to take it ourselves.) We were in the process of expanding it to Ridgecrest South (where I also worked), but there wasn’t anything concrete happening, and then I moved out of Blount, so my access was limited. So if anyone is interested in possibly doing that again, it’s feasible! Just possibly more feasible for someone with a truck, haha. I was really excited about it, but I didn’t have the resources to really continue it. It’s definitely something that would be a great project to embark on, though.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your story Sakari. Although my son plans to pursue a degree in physics, human rights is one area of particular interest for him. This may be part of Grinnell’s appeal for him as the students seemed quite socially aware and active.
Best wishes on your next steps!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My ds is planning on attending UA in the fall majoring in physics with a phD as his goal. He has met with Professor LeClair a couple of times and really liked him. If your ds has not made contact with him, I recommend having him email with any questions or concerns and if possible, set up an appt to meet with him in person. It was actually meeting with him that made my ds believe that UA would be a good fit.</p>

<p>Thanks Mom. :)</p>

<p>DS is still a junior, starting his college search and still figuring out what he is looking for in a school. When he is working on final decisions, we hope visits will be feasible.</p>